cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer Shackles Hitting Frame

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, we recently replaced pretty much all of the suspension parts on our tandem axle travel trailer (leaf springs, shackles, equalizers, and bolts) and have run into an issue with the equalizer shackles behind the front axle hitting the frame constantly. This issue did not appear to be present before replacing the equipment. This happens regardless if unhooked, towing level, nose down, or nose up.

We made sure to replace the leaf springs with the same size (26" eye to eye unloaded) per Dexter customer support and per old measurements. We also replaced the equalizer, bolts, and shackles with the Dexter E-Z flex kit(Part #K71-652-00) that was designed to replace the factory Dexter equalizer we had (Original Part #13-104).

Any advice on correcting this?

Drivers Side Back > Front

Passenger Side Front > Back

Original:
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6
2012 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH
Prodigy P3 & Reese Dual Cam
17 REPLIES 17

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Picture makes new spring appear to be longer than old.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

CamperWill
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
The shackles are stronger than the spring-hanger, and that part of the spring hanger doesn't add any strength. The new shackles are just meatier. My vote is just leave it. It's already made clearance for itself.

It's the possibility of the shackles hitting the frame hard and ripping the hanger off the frame that concerns me.
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2L I6
2012 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH
Prodigy P3 & Reese Dual Cam

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The shackles are stronger than the spring-hanger, and that part of the spring hanger doesn't add any strength. The new shackles are just meatier. My vote is just leave it. It's already made clearance for itself.

Also, once the rubber "springs" is the dexter-equalizer get some miles, they'll settle out a little, and you'll gain a tiny bit of eye-to-eye distance.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST