cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended fuel tank on a Champion 3100 generator?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I need to figure out a way to hook up a external fuel tank to extend the hours I get out of my generator. I know the Champion 3100 is a gravity fed system and also know of a company that makes a kit which would cost me $300 to install but is there a way to set up a system utilizing another tank that is elevated above the generator to use instead of utilizing an axillary fuel pump to do the job. Don't want to spend $300 if I don't have too. If so please share with me. Thanks guys!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
21 REPLIES 21

ChampionCamper
Explorer
Explorer
jrobert01 wrote:
I would recommend a Facet 1 gpm have one that I have used for years with 2 Champions 2000 and never had a problem and you want need to worry about flooding or damaging float in carb that controls gas flow

Which Pump did you use and can you send a picture of the set up? I just got a 2000W Champion!

Matt

MrWizard
Are you talking about a champion inverter generator

best guess was not a fuel problem but a generator heat saturation problem
Simply put you ran too much load and over heated the alternator and the inverter electronics
The built in thermal safety would not let you run the load you wanted
Next time only run the a/C and your converter
Make sure the fridge and wh are on l.p. Before you over load the generator Not afterwards
Also take the generator off of econ mode , let it burn a little more fuel you need the fan on the engine moving as much air as possible

I have had the same problem, once you let it get hot and over load, nothing short of cool down will let you get the a/C going again

Turn the generator on first thing in the morning, before the RV gets hot, get the batteries charged and the water hot, before you need the a/C
Then put everything on LP,
And turn on the A/C before it gets too hot inside
its a balancing act, but its doable
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rmabus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks. I did this mod the DIY way. I ordered the parts myself and did the mod following the video. I took it out this weekend, but something odd was happening, and I had to ditch my aux tank. In the heat of the day, we were running our HVAC, our water pump on electric, and our water heater on electric/as well as our fridge, and my generator went into overload. I re-fired the generator and it would not pull enough draw to stay running. (I did switch as much as I could to propane btw). This could be a combination of a lot of things, first of which may be that I am not getting enough draw out of my aux tank itself due to a vacuum, but has anyone else experienced issues with this? Thanks.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Firestorm79 Got mine up and running off of the boat tank and it runs great! The extra run time should be wonderful! Thanks again!!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, mostly like the instructions for the kit. I installed a 2nd fuel filter for the line that comes from the on-board tank. The thing they didn't mention on the video is the valve cover gasket might tear and need to be replaced. I used high temp gasket maker.

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
firestorm79 wrote:
ulvik wrote:
firestorm79 wrote:
I highly recommend installing a fuel pump and using a boat tank. I sourced my own parts and installed it much like the bottom line trading kit with a few minor differences. Gravity fed systems look like hack jobs. Fuel pump system looks professional and you don't have to look for a way to elevate your tank.

Nothing like having 12 gallons of gas hooked up and if the tank runs low I can simply disconnect and switch to the internal tank without shutting off the generator.

If you don't mind me asking what was the part number on the fuel pump you are using? I would guess that the fuel pump pressure is very important because of it being a gravity fed carburetor. To me it would flood out the carb if the pressure is too high and it would starve for fuel if it is too low. any help with pump ID would be great!!!

It's a Briggs and Stratton 808656 which is actually made by Mikuni. I think it puts out 3-5 psi and hasn't caused any flooding problems with my generator. Provides enough flow for light and heavy loads. Mikuni has a note in the product documentation stating a return fuel line might be needed if the carb is over pressured.

Thank you very very much. I will order the pump Monday! Thank you again!!!!!

Did you basically follow the same instructions for the kit that sells for $250? I've been thinking about doing this to my new one.
2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
firestorm79 wrote:
Feel free to pm me if you need more info or help with how to make it work.

Thank you very much will do!

Thanks again for your help I got it up and running like a charm! Thanks again for the help!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
firestorm79 wrote:

Thank you very much will do!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend a Facet 1 gpm have one that I have used for years with 2 Champions 2000 and never had a problem and you want need to worry about flooding or damaging float in carb that controls gas flow

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
firestorm79 wrote:
ulvik wrote:
firestorm79 wrote:
I highly recommend installing a fuel pump and using a boat tank. I sourced my own parts and installed it much like the bottom line trading kit with a few minor differences. Gravity fed systems look like hack jobs. Fuel pump system looks professional and you don't have to look for a way to elevate your tank.

Nothing like having 12 gallons of gas hooked up and if the tank runs low I can simply disconnect and switch to the internal tank without shutting off the generator.

If you don't mind me asking what was the part number on the fuel pump you are using? I would guess that the fuel pump pressure is very important because of it being a gravity fed carburetor. To me it would flood out the carb if the pressure is too high and it would starve for fuel if it is too low. any help with pump ID would be great!!!

It's a Briggs and Stratton 808656 which is actually made by Mikuni. I think it puts out 3-5 psi and hasn't caused any flooding problems with my generator. Provides enough flow for light and heavy loads. Mikuni has a note in the product documentation stating a return fuel line might be needed if the carb is over pressured.

Thank you very very much. I will order the pump Monday! Thank you again!!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
firestorm79 wrote:

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
aux tank

Seems like this shouldn't be too hard to do. Biggest expense will be the tank itseld.

I don't know if this would work on my generator because a Honda has a built in fuel pump in the tank and my Champion has a gravity fed carburetor.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
firestorm79 wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains