cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended fuel tank on a Champion 3100 generator?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I need to figure out a way to hook up a external fuel tank to extend the hours I get out of my generator. I know the Champion 3100 is a gravity fed system and also know of a company that makes a kit which would cost me $300 to install but is there a way to set up a system utilizing another tank that is elevated above the generator to use instead of utilizing an axillary fuel pump to do the job. Don't want to spend $300 if I don't have too. If so please share with me. Thanks guys!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
21 REPLIES 21

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your actual question though, I haven't found a gravity fed kit specifically for the Champion 3100 but I'm thinking you could modify the cap to remove the vent and replace it with a fuel line fitting for connection to an external tank.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
aux tank

Seems like this shouldn't be too hard to do. Biggest expense will be the tank itseld.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend installing a fuel pump and using a boat tank. I sourced my own parts and installed it much like the bottom line trading kit with a few minor differences. Gravity fed systems look like hack jobs. Fuel pump system looks professional and you don't have to look for a way to elevate your tank.

Nothing like having 12 gallons of gas hooked up and if the tank runs low I can simply disconnect and switch to the internal tank without shutting off the generator.

MrWizard
Check the internet for SuperGen
They did have a kit with a pump and it was considerably less $$
They supplied everything except the external tank
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
This online retailer sells the kit for $249/$199 w/o hose. He used to sell Champion 3100 with the kit already installed(I got one of them). Looks like he no longer does.

http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/Champion-Inverters.html

the kit comes with fuel pump, fittings, hose, etc to connect external tank. does require some basic skills to install the fuel pump permanently. Works great. Internal tank is still functional too, the switch is the fuel on/off. Fuel on = internal tank, fuel off = external tank. Looks like factory install when completed.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

netaq
Explorer
Explorer
This guy used a boat fuel tank and a 12v fuel pump, which I do like. You could probably forego the electric pump and elevate the fuel tank to make it siphon feed.

YouTube Link
2016 Sierra 371REBH
2016 Ram 3500 Big Horn 6.7/Aisin

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Champ tank- April 27
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman