cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extender Gas Cans

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, we had up to 10 hours running time in my RV with our Honda 2000 on 'ECO' mode. It was running the lights, furnace fan, fridge, radio, and about 300 watts of other equipment (we run telescopes, cameras, and laptops).

We were boondocking where generator sounds were not an issue since we had no neighbors.

Rather than have to 'gas up' first thing in the morning or top off, I am considering an extender gas can. So of course I have questions.

Given the photos of extender can products, is it true that the Honda siphons from the extender can? Is there a special cap for the Honda? Since I can run close to 10 hours on the gallon of fuel in the Honda, are there 2-3 gallon extenders? Are there preferred brands? Can I refuel the extender can while the Honda runs?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
18 REPLIES 18

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I ever did was start the generator with the aux tank hooked up and the generator fuel cap air shut off and aux tank air open. The generator would then run and eventually suck the gas from the other tank. It was not necessary to prefill the line from the aux tank to the generator. You could sit there and watch the gas inch along the clear fuel line I used. It would keep the Hondas' tank full all the time and when I shut it off the tank was full of gas ready to go again.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

What I used to do was:
1- start the 2 Honda's
2- hook up the parallel cable
3- hook up the extended run tank WITH the vent CLOSED on the tank
4- wait a minute or 3 and open the vent on the tank..

IN MY opinion it was easier for the Honda to PULL the fuel at first with the vent closed.. once the line was full and things were flowing it was a thing of beauty !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
If the Honda 2000 is sitting in the truck bed and the external fuel tank is on the ground, is the Honda fuel pump capable of raising the fuel that far?

Bill

Donโ€™t know the answer specifically, but considering the OEsetup is essentially gravity feed with a presumably very small vacuum diaphragm fuel pump, pulling 3-4โ€™ vertical head does not seem too likely. Icbw.
But I bet you could plumb in a tee to a boat tank that sits at the same level that would work. Might have to valve off both intake lines for switching use ?

On that same thought, do you guys have to make sure to fill the remote hose with fuel when hooking up? Or is it good enough to just hook up the extended tank and the pump will start the flow? Assume the extended tank is sitting on the ground at the same level and about 2 feet away from the generator.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Lynnmor wrote:
The extender kits usually use a standard outboard motor fuel tank. If you are concerned that the fuel line is too close to the running generator, simply disconnect and move away to fill it. If you do it quickly there will not be enough vacuum to shut it down. An alternative is to have two tanks and swap them out, they have quick disconnects.

I've never had a remote tank, but it seems to me you don't even need to move quickly to refill one. Unhook the hose from the remote tank and carry it away from the running generator. You have at a minimum a few hours to refill the remote tank before the internal tank runs out. Once you fill the remote tank carry it back over and connect the hose again. The onboard pump will pull a vacuum and refill the onboard tank. Obviously the faster you refill and connect the tank the better,. But I'll bet it takes a good 10 minutes to even burn up the small bit of fuel that is sitting in the generator filler neck.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
However I canโ€™t imagine sitting in the camper all day and night without going outside several times anyway. Whatโ€™s it take to refuel a Honda 2000? 1 extra minute? So 2 minutes a day?
If a person is actually โ€œlivingโ€ day in day out off a Honda 2000 and reliant on it running 100% around the clock, there are bigger concerns than re fueling
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Trackrig wrote:
If the Honda 2000 is sitting in the truck bed and the external fuel tank is on the ground, is the Honda fuel pump capable of raising the fuel that far?

Bill

Donโ€™t know the answer specifically, but considering the OEsetup is essentially gravity feed with a presumably very small vacuum diaphragm fuel pump, pulling 3-4โ€™ vertical head does not seem too likely. Icbw.
But I bet you could plumb in a tee to a boat tank that sits at the same level that would work. Might have to valve off both intake lines for switching use ?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarneyS wrote:
I used one of these systems for many years and it always worked great.
Barney

Hard to beat the BERG System,....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used one of these systems for many years and it always worked great.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ktmrfs wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
It does have a fuel pump.. I purchased a set up from here - Amazon - Bergs Single system

BUT I purchased the dual feed system and still have that tucked away in my shed ..

Mine was a 5 gallon and was/IS awesome ! I also fueled mine up while the generator was running as the tank was a few feet from the generator..

I know a few folks who tried some of the amazon/ebay no name systems and they were not trouble free or easy to use. I have the dual unit Berg system and while more expensive IMHO it is worth the money. Very well designed, quick and easy to connect, and very good fuel cap for the honda.

That is what I stated I had in my shed.... I LOVE the system, although I do not use it anymore... It just collect dust...really love my onboard Onan...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
This past weekend, we had up to 10 hours running time in my RV with our Honda 2000 on 'ECO' mode. It was running the lights, furnace fan, fridge, radio, and about 300 watts of other equipment (we run telescopes, cameras, and laptops).

We were boondocking where generator sounds were not an issue since we had no neighbors.

Rather than have to 'gas up' first thing in the morning or top off, I am considering an extender gas can. So of course I have questions.

Given the photos of extender can products, is it true that the Honda siphons from the extender can? Is there a special cap for the Honda? Since I can run close to 10 hours on the gallon of fuel in the Honda, are there 2-3 gallon extenders? Are there preferred brands? Can I refuel the extender can while the Honda runs?

Go to ebay or amazon and buy an extended run gas cap, then you can either buy locally or through ebay/amazon a boat gas tank that you like. Then all you need is the fittings to go from the new gas cap to the hose, then to the tank. If you have an outboard boat, use that model.

It is that simple, no need to pay someone a lot of extra money to get those things for you unless you prefer to.

I have a six and a half gallon tank with dual outlets so I can run both generators on one tank if I want to use air conditioning, and a three gallon that is much easier to deal with for one generator.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
It does have a fuel pump.. I purchased a set up from here - Amazon - Bergs Single system

BUT I purchased the dual feed system and still have that tucked away in my shed ..

Mine was a 5 gallon and was/IS awesome ! I also fueled mine up while the generator was running as the tank was a few feet from the generator..

I know a few folks who tried some of the amazon/ebay no name systems and they were not trouble free or easy to use. I have the dual unit Berg system and while more expensive IMHO it is worth the money. Very well designed, quick and easy to connect, and very good fuel cap for the honda.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The extender kits usually use a standard outboard motor fuel tank. If you are concerned that the fuel line is too close to the running generator, simply disconnect and move away to fill it. If you do it quickly there will not be enough vacuum to shut it down. An alternative is to have two tanks and swap them out, they have quick disconnects.

One thing to watch is the surface of the generator gas tank opening. Those stupid government gas cans that have the push to fill can nick the surface and allow an air leak that prevents the draw from the remote tank.