cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Factory brake controller

RayNMesa
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with the factory brake controller on the new 1/2 ton 2014 Silverado's
I am towing a 2007 20 ft Jayco travel trailer 2 axels (4brakes), I just had the brakes checked and adjusted on the trailer. I have the controller set a 9 (I think the max is 10), when moving at around 10 mph and when I manually apply the breaks to the full on position I feel the trailer tug slightly on the truck , should the wheels lock up at any point? dose anyone have any experience with this controller?
1 REPLY 1

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

If you are towing on gravel or loose dirt, then the brakes should lock up.

You can also check the amperage of the brakes. You should have about 3 amps per brake magnet.

You can also do a simple test at each magnet, with a compos. Have someone apply the brakes manually, and the needle should swing toward the rim as North. Any brake not turning the compos north should be looked at. You might have a broken wire, or shorted magnet.

One post last weekend was about improving brakes. The owner changed the small #14 wire to #8 or #10 wire, that will carry the 18 amps that his RV needed, thus his brakes started working correctly.

It might also be a weak ground connection from the RV to truck that can cause a slight voltage loss, and then they will not work as well.

Sears sells a clamp on meter that measures DC amperage without cutting the wire. Most clamp on electric meters only measure AC in the clamp on section. However the Sears Clamp on meter has both AC and DC clamp on measurement.

If you click on my name, then "View Posts" you can find the brake one from last week, it should be within the first couple of pages. You can refine search with "Brake" and find it quickly. It has some helpful information.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com