cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firewood transport bans

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking around on line I stumbled on a notice from Tn Forestry.
Walnut trees in some East Tn Counties are being killed by the Walnut Beetle and Walnut Canker Diseases.
So no walnut wood can be transported from one county to the next around Knoxville etc.
I can't attach a link or reference one other than Tn Forestry.
They say it was brought here from the southwest by human transport.
What nut would bring walnut from the Southwest to Tn where the dominant tree is Walnut in most places, now?
Nothing can be done about it now.
Our place will be denuded, practically, if we have to cut all the Walnut Trees.
While I'm here anyone know anything about getting the rot and wood ants out of big oak trees? I got one I really need to save, at the bend in the drive?
I know no one is an Aborist just talking.
17 REPLIES 17

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
The only wood i take is kiln dried scrap lumber then buy local otherwise you take the chance of transporting bugs

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
We use wood pellets which can be transported anywhere. $4 or so for 40 pound bag. stainless steel mesh "logs" from reposenow.com keep them contained.

scoTTyO_
Explorer
Explorer
its the same as having bait bans
being a fisherman and having a woodstove
I'll pay the extra money to buy bait and wood local to keep foreign buggers out

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I have more dead ash wood than I can ever manage to use (and the local firewood market is completely saturated). I cut down 80 Ash trees last summer, and those are just the ones that were close enough to the house to cause concern. I wouldn't ever transport this wood though - wouldn't want other people to have to cut down their trees because of a bug I had brought.

BTW - I knew this was coming and started planting a mixture of replacement trees 7 years ago. Unfortunately, the oldest of those trees are only about 9 years old. Someday I'll have a nice forest here again.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
If the issue was imported, it most likely did not come from the southwest. Growing range for Black Walnut.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Around these parts, the Rangers will cite you, and the fine is hefty, if they catch you moving firewood. Our most recent stay at a State Park, there was a big pile of firewood from within the park itself at the host's site bearing a sign asking for a $5 donation for a 10 piece bundle, which was enough for two evening's fires, and certainly cheaper than buying from convenience stores -- of which there were none within 20 miles.

I quite understand folks complaints about the cost of firewood near campgrounds. We heat with wood and buy it by the cord as well as cut our own out of our 20 acres of woods. But I dutifully buy locally when we travel.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not accurate to blame the problem on campers and RV'ers. Sure that is part of the problem, but industry stands to bear the brunt of the blame in my opinion.
Pallets and dunnage is normally built and supplied by mom and pop mills,and built out of whatever local trash wood is available.

There are a lot of Amish and Mennonite pallet shops that make Apple and grape pallets. And I would guess at least around here they mostly use black Walnut as that is our dominate species.

There is a Mennonite guy, makes grain augers, subscribes to Henry Fords business model. Keeps all he can in house. His dunnage is milled from his own wood lot in his own mill by his employees. None of this wood is dried ands much of it is green.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
... I carry one or two 'fire logs' - the commercial ones - so I can get a fire going without having to hunt up firewood on the first night.
That is a great idea. Simple and clean.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We have lost all the Chestnut and Elm while Ash is rapidly disappearing and now we are experiencing Walnut Canker as well yet someone will chime in and defend hauling firewood where ever they want to take it.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
And there's probably no larger group of people that can be held responsible than campers. People traveling by plane or train and staying in hotels and motels certainly aren't bringing firewood with them. If you want a campfire, buy locally, or use treated 2 x 4s.
Here in southern Ohio, we've been hit hard by the Emerald Ash Borer. A friend of mine lost nearly 100 old growth ash trees to the borer.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't know that there were beetles in other areas of NA killing trees like the pine beetles in our part of NA.

dreeder wrote:
Here in Colorado we have a similiar situation with the pine beetle, that little plaque has wreaked havoc on some of the forests here....:(

Same in BC. It's a terrible devastation in the forests and environmental disaster. Global warming is a major factor as the winters aren't cold enough now to kill the beetles off. All the dead trees on the forest floor create a huge fuel load for forest fires and trees that lie rotting on the ground contribute carbon to the atmosphere, further accelerating global warming. Another contributing factor has been lumber trucks freely hauling logs around regions with no regulatory controls.

When they do reforestation, they plant fir trees. Personally I think that is wrong. Natural forests have mixed species because nature has it that way for a reason.

The environment is also under attack in a lot of different areas and I have to wonder what the planet will be like in a hundred or thousand years from now....

Here in the PNW, we are permitted to transport softwood back and forth between Washington and BC as long as it is mill ends (manufactured sawn lumber).

When there is a burn ban in Wa. & BC in the summer, we use our portable propane campfire. Just isn't the same without the smoke and smell.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our area had first the Dutch Elm disease, then Emerald Ash Borer, and now there is an Oak Wilt causing problems. Solution is to buy locally or bring cut off pieces from pine lumber yard leftovers.

I stopped carrying all the extra weight and do like Paw Paw with a fire log and some cut up 2x4's for the first night.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people bring firewood from as far away as Georgia to Big Bend National Park (which does not allow any wood fires - ever) in west Texas.

I've seen people from Colorado show up at Davis Mountains State Park, outside Fort Davis in west Texas with firewood from their homes.

I know some folks from the Dallas area who always carry local east Texas firewood where ever they go - from east coast to west coast.

I can understand a couple sticks for a first night fire - but I can't understand folks who carry several hundred pounds of wood. The general reason they give is their wood is 'cheap' and the folks at/ near campgrounds charge too much for wood.

I carry one of two 'fire logs' - the commercial ones - so I can get a fire going without having to hunt up firewood on the first night.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
For free expert local help, contact you local agricultural extension office.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006