cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Focus and braking system

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
With out playing the blame game or crying of spilt milk. We now have a Stay n Play brake system in our vehicle, which now, we realize cannot be used.

In order to power the braking system we have to have a battery. To tow our 2016 Ford Focus 4 down, we have to disconnect the battery.

So, why do they claim the Ford is towable, when in several states it would be illegal, without a braking system.

We tried to tell the dealer and service tech that we needed to disconnect the battery, since we are novices, we were convinced that we needed the batter to power the brakes.

To make a long story short, is there any way that we can get power to the brake and still disconnect the black cable. We are now towing without the very expensive brake we have installed.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
9 REPLIES 9

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If not done yet, a call to the braking system manufacturer's tech support crew will very likely solve this problem.

Failing all else, it's not all that impractical to carry a booster pack with its own 12 Volt sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery. This could power a brake system (at least OP's here report it works with a Brake Buddy) and remain isolated from the vehicle.

I'd really like to see the Installation Instructions for this exact braking system. I'd like to be sure that it can work with Battery Positive and Battery Negative. Meaning it either 1. Doesn't need to be grounded to the Focus' Frame, or 2. If the braking system uses the Frame instead of a couple Negative Wires, that Wire can be used in place of the Frame, to completely isolate the Braking System from the vehicle. And still WORK...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
"So, why do they claim the Ford is towable, when in several states it would be illegal, without a braking system."

It's simple. Many braking systems do not require power. I've used systems like the Air Force One with diesel motorhomes and currently have the NSA tow bar with surge braking. Neither requires power from the toad. Ford isn't responsible for your braking system and yes, the Focus is easily towable. With a battery disconnect switch, it takes about a minute to setup the car for towing.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"... in several states it would be illegal, without a braking system."

Just out of curiosity,, which states would those be? Please quote the applicable state statute(s) that requires brakes on a towed vehicle in a drive-away configuration.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
bayoubelle wrote:
George, so in doing this, it takes the power away from the car , but still allows power to brakes? I am not at all mechanical, so I am trying to understand if this option will work for us.

Yes it completely disconnects the car from the battery.to prevent power back flowing into the car electrical system from theadded tail lights and vacuum pump circuit which the SMI system adds. install diodes in the new power leads to the tail lights. Diodes are like a check valve and only all power to flow one way

If you have someone doing the work and they do not know what a diode is, find another mechanic.

I would be happy to send you a pic of the connections on the battery if you like. I cannot post on this forum as all my pics are in my IPad only. I do not use external storage. Just send me a PM with an email address and I will take a pic and send it to you.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
whemme wrote:
You could run a two wire +12 vdc power cord from your motorhome back to your braking system in order to supply power to it.

That's how I power my current stay n play Duo system and the one before it.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
George, so in doing this, it takes the power away from the car , but still allows power to brakes? I am not at all mechanical, so I am trying to understand if this option will work for us.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We put a battery disconnect switch inline before the battery post clamp on our 2014 Focus and just hooked up a new fused wire from the battery clamp still attached to the battery direct to the rear light circuit and the vacuum pump. We have now towed several thousand miles and no problems. We also put diodes in it to prevent backfeeding.

Be sure not to disconnect the battery until after you have set the transmission up for towing.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
bayoubelle wrote:

So, why do they claim the Ford is towable, when in several states it would be illegal, without a braking system.

There are auxiliary braking systems that don't require any power connection.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could run a two wire +12 vdc power cord from your motorhome back to your braking system in order to supply power to it.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad