cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel discounts

Wizard_1946
Explorer
Explorer
Would really be nice if GS could negotiate fuel discounts with other suppliers such as Loves, TA or others.

I generally use P/FJ but sometimes they are just not available on my routes.
Jerry
2000 Journey 36G
2006 Explorer 4X4

Nothing I've got to do and all day to do it :B
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am amazed when folks run around trying to get the 5cents off cards.

To me the PenFed is a no brainer.

Oh and you can swipe that baby after you use the secret weapon discount card for the 3 to 5 pennies. :W

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
What is pen fed? A credit card company or gas station chain? never heard of it.

PenFed is a credit union for military or for a small fee, anyone. They issue a Visa Credit card.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
What is pen fed? A credit card company or gas station chain? never heard of it.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard 1946 wrote:
Would really be nice if GS could negotiate fuel discounts with other suppliers such as Loves, TA or others.

The P/FJ deal, and likely any other discount program with Loves or TA, is almost certainly a exclusive deal. i.e. We will give a fuel discount if our company is the ONLY one your members get a discount with.

Hands down the best discount is one which a credit card company gives its customers on the post fuel price.

Exxon has the very best discount program - but only for retirees from Exxon using an certain Exxon card at Exxon stations - 30% post tax credit on their CC statement.

Pen-Fed is a great discount, but we don't have that card.

On the road, we use:

P/FJ RV Plus Card - 6 cents per gallon on gasoline
Exxon - 2 cents per gallon at most Exxon/Mobil stations using their card
Kroger Brands Fuel Points - 10 cents per gallon discount per $100 spent at Kroger Brands stores. Discount can be up to $1 per gallon at some Kroger Brands Fuel Centers, or a max of 10 cents per gallon at some affiliated Shell stations
Plenti-Points - we get a decent discount once a month due to our ATT phone / data bill adding points each month.

We also use Costco because they seem to have the lowest prices in many California cities.

When we were in a region without Kroger Brands for a length of time, we usually find a regional supermarket chain with a fuel discount program.

If you travel, you need to look at using any and all the fuel discount programs you can qualify for. A single card system is easiest to keep track of, but if you are serious about your money, you will work all the programs you can.

I always compare fuel prices when possible, and choose the cheapest option. Having done some work with gas stations in the past, I know they all get their fuel from the same regional distributor, though each brand has its own additive formula.

I've gone to the extent of dropping the trailer in a Pilot truck parking lot and driving three miles down the road to fill up at Costco - for a 12 cent per gallon price difference.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The main campground in Watson Lake, Yukon offers a coupon for a fuel discount at the local fuel station. It is a long way to drive for a discount though. Never have been offered one in the lower 48 by a campground but have had restaurant coupons offered. We have the RV rewards cards for the big truck stops and the PFJ works at the auto pumps too.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I used my Good Sam card, I only got a two cents a gallon discount at a Flying J. I asked at the checkout, and the lady said that's what it is.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
Where are the people that brag about their PenFed credit card?

Right here .... indirectly still getting 5% (that's percent ... not cents) back from each dollar spent on gas.

ALSO .... if I use our PenFed card at Safeway for groceries (indirectly getting 3% back from each dollar spent on groceries) ... at some gas stations I also get up to a direct 20 cents per gallon discount based on how much grocery dollar gas credits I have built up from Safeway shopping. Of course I use the PenFed gas card at these gas stations where I'm getting the Safeway discount - thus in effect getting both discounts on each gallon of gas.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the people that brag about their PenFed credit card?

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Go here ....

Good Sam Fuel Discount
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
It has been so long ago that I don't remember the amount of discount, but you could use your Good Sam Card at Loves. I had a Class C then and could use the card up front.

Found my old Good Sam Card. It was in the 1980's.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard 1946 wrote:

X1, especially Loves which is frequently on my routes.