Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

g6a-7e water heater question

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
I bought this motor home last year and have used the water heater many times this year and last. Last week when I went to light it, I flipped the switch inside and the light above the switch did not come on, nothing happens at the water heater. I don't think I can light it manually. I do have LP and the stove and furnace work fine. I also checked all fuses. Does anyone know where I might start? Thank you for reading
Dave
12 REPLIES 12

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for everyone's help. I have hot water now!! I am just wait in now to see how long the flame stays on. It has been 30 minutes and I can't remember if it was on that long before.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Dmbaker07 wrote:
since I had 12v on both side of tsat I tested the board with a manual I found online. it looks like the valve track portion of the board is bad. all other tracks show continuity.

You found the problem.:) I used the online manual to check my board and it showed it was broken. I ordered a dinosaur board from ASAP, 5 minute install, and it fired right up first time and worked much better then the OEM board ever since.

If you do order a dinosaur board, order the box with it. You need to be very careful when you attach it so the screws will not puncture the tank. Using the old screws and the box will/should eliminate that possibility.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
since I had 12v on both side of tsat I tested the board with a manual I found online. it looks like the valve track portion of the board is bad. all other tracks show continuity.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dmbaker07 wrote:
With switch on, brown has 12v on both side of what looks like a fusible link.

OK..thermal cut off (thermal fuses good)

NOW is there 12V DC on both sides of t-stat?

IF YES

Continue to trace 12V..until NO 12V

Follow diagram
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
With switch on, brown has 12v on both side of what looks like a fusible link.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water heater 12V DC power is feed from a 'fused' circuit in DC Dist Panel

From panel DC goes to ON/OFF switch >>>>> thermalfuse >>>>>> t-stat >>>> control module >>>>> ECO/Hi T-stat >>>>> Gas valve

Fault light won't come on if no DC voltage getting to control module

No DC power getting to control module then no fault light
Blown Fuse in DC Dist Panel
Bad contacts On/Off Switch
Blown thermal cut-off (thermalfuse)
Bad t-stat or contacts
Bad control module if 12V DC is getting to it via Brown wire

OR bad ground connections.....circuit not being completed.

On Edit:
Found wiring diagram for your model. Check for 12V DC on Brown wire with switch ON. Trace it out.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I had a WH problem before and called a local mobile rv tech and he walked me through a few test to determine I had a bad circuit board. I repaired it myself but would have scheduled with him if it didn't work out.. It's usually about $75 for a trip charge, but better than taking in to a dealer and waiting weeks.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for trying to help. No luck with any of the above. I may need a new board. I hate to part swap without knowing. I see a lot of post online saying that the red light stays on. I have not found many where the light does not come on at all.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood.......turn switch OFF. Then in outside compartment just above burner is a thermalfuse (it is connected to brown wires...from circuit board to t-stat connector)
Remove it and connect brown wire from circuit board directly to t-stat terminal. Go turn switch ON.
If it fires/lights then you need a new 'thermalfuse' It is a one shot safety device...trips when flame blows out of combustion chamber due to dirty/obstructions (usually spider webs etc.)

Dmbaker07
Explorer
Explorer
I will try both tomorrow morning, thank you for the replies!

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your house batteries are low and your no longer getting 12 volts to the switch or HW Heater.

I would check the batteries first, then if they are good take the switch off the wall and check for voltage there. If there is voltage then hotwire the wires behind the switch to rule out the switch being bad. It should come on if the switch is bad and you wire around it.

I'm no tech so there may be other things to check, but this would be where I would start.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
it's in lockout unplug the black box on the outside wait 30 seconds plug it back in