cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas station pet peeves

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the car wash/gas station today and coming out of the car wash I was going to fuel up my truck. As I'm rolling out of the car wash I am aiming for the only pump that has diesel, as I'm heading that direction some young kid pulls up to the pump to get gas. Now I understand he can use any of pumps that he chooses to use, however if there are six other open pumps available why can't that person who has gas powered vehicle choose those and leave the diesel pumps open for those who need it? Of course as I am parked behind him with my motor running he's just looking at me like " why are you behind me with all these open pumps?"

That is why I prefer gas stations that have dedicated diesel pumps versus the combination units.

Rant over

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
131 REPLIES 131

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜ฎ

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Naw, they don't annoy me atall. I like to get in and pitch a few horse shoes too.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of this thread reminds me of that old bumper sticker.

"Those of you who think you know it all are VERY annoying to those of us who actually do know it all!"

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!
It has never dawned on me that I should be upset if I pull up to a gas station and someone is using an island that could also be used for diesel, thereby causing me to wait.

I pull up, scout to see which island I can access and get in line just like everyone else does. Then I wait my turn. If someone intentionally cuts me off, I suppose I might say something to them, but probably not. I can't see where it's worth the hassle. Some people are just too nutty to confront and to discover who after the fact is just too late.

My pet peeve is when someone doesn't move their car after filling up if they need to go inside to do other business. Not just get their change, but shopping or using the can. I'd never leave my rig unattended at a gas pump. Too many tweekers likely to steal something out of it I would think.

Another pet peeve is that the windshield squeegies and fluids never seem to be clean. Sometimes I like to wipe off the whole window while the tank is filling and the wash fluid is not present or is just nasty.

And finally, the air hose is usually some place that isn't accessible for a trailer to utilize. They should be at the islands even though that might slow up the que line for the pumps.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Wow what a bunch of wieners.

And then diss on the younger folks about the difference between gas and diesel. All they have to do is ask google if they want to know. :W

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
I can't believe all this arguing because some pumps have both diesel and gas nozzles... people think it's their "right" to have those pumps. The combo pumps are for everyone

It's NOT the pumps or islands that are dual gas / diesel, that is NOT the problem. Everyone knows if they are dual, then people needing gas will use them. No one has a problem with THAT! The PROBLEM is those folks who deliberately pull in front of you and take the only pump that IS diesel, when you've been waiting for the previous consumer to finish up. And when you're pulling a behemoth behind you, you just can't move into the spot that FAST sometimes. While moving forward to make sure the behemoth you are towing does not hit anything, some moron pulls into the pump you have been WAITING on! That is the problem!

I highly doubt anyone intentionally pulls in front of you and takes the pump that you are clearly pulling into.

If it's such a colossal issue that is taking such a significant toll on your mental health then perhaps you need to find other gas stations, get a different tow vehicle or perhaps pulling a travel trailer isn't something you should be doIng. Seriously, reading this discussion makes a few of you sound a little nuts...people have to learn to relax!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
You'll haven't said nothing about Gas Station quizine quiznnee... well food.
Notice all the sweet buns is dried out and jsut a little bit of hard icing and taste like a frigidare?
Then those hot dogs still have hair on them or taste like it. ...and the wall of slightly cool drinks?

Cuisine?

And hair on the Wieners?

Oh dear!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
You'll haven't said nothing about Gas Station quizine quiznnee... well food.
Notice all the sweet buns is dried out and jsut a little bit of hard icing and taste like a frigidare?
Then those hot dogs still have hair on them or taste like it. ...and the wall of slightly cool drinks?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
I can't believe all this arguing because some pumps have both diesel and gas nozzles... people think it's their "right" to have those pumps. The combo pumps are for everyone

It's NOT the pumps or islands that are dual gas / diesel, that is NOT the problem. Everyone knows if they are dual, then people needing gas will use them. No one has a problem with THAT! The PROBLEM is those folks who deliberately pull in front of you and take the only pump that IS diesel, when you've been waiting for the previous consumer to finish up. And when you're pulling a behemoth behind you, you just can't move into the spot that FAST sometimes. While moving forward to make sure the behemoth you are towing does not hit anything, some moron pulls into the pump you have been WAITING on! That is the problem!

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that people today just don't consider others. Just as the guy fills up and then goes inside the store to order a sandwich, leaving their vehicle blocking the pump.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Many people are oblivious. They aren't rude on purpose they are just stupid.

I usually go find another station.

Or it could be they drive gassers and don't even see the diesel there. To call someone stupid over an issue this trivial, bordering on insignificant, says a lot about you.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
You think you didn't reveal anything sensitive. Time will tell.
Not RichH, who doesn't know the guy in the above post.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have a gas burner I pull forward to the next pump, that way my TT is blocking the diesel pump, while I'm at it I leave the fridge running on propane too, Chill out dudes your on vacation 5 minutes is not going to make a difference, go camping

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sport45 wrote:
Rancher Will wrote:
Modern technology has made modern diesel as clean or even cleaner burning than gas in many angines. This is especially true for any gas engine that is burning gas with ethanol.

The laws of physics have not been repealed. When ethanol is added to gasoline, as is required in some states, the result is that more gasoline is burned in that engine per mile driven along with the ethanol burned. Burning more gasoline results in more emissions per mile no matter how much ethanol is burned along with the gas. Burning the ethanol also results in more emissions from the ethanol also. Ethanol produces less energy per volume than gasoline so when added to gasoline more total volume of the mixture of gas and ethanol is required to produce measured energy.

Modern diesel engines have been improved to be cleaner fuel burning that even most gas cars today. Our newer diesel tractors and trucks now require the addition of DEF to the exhaust system. After the DEF law was passed, Cummins engines were able to have an exemption for a few years since DEF actually has no effect on the combustion of diesel fuel in an engine. Adding DEF to the exhaust system of any diesel engine actually has no reduction of any exhaust of burning diesel. DEF added to the exhaust of a diesel engine does increase pollution, adding Nitrous Oxide to the atmosphere that we breath.

I want some of what you've been smoking. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just breath some of that Nitrous Oxide coming from the diesel exhaust and you will be there. ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We were on our way out West, with out TT, and we pull into a large service station to buy gas and low and behold there is a car parked next to the gas pump. Two people sitting in the back seat and one in the passenger seat. They are sitting there talking and laughing and this went on for 15 minutes, now I'm a little upset by now, so I pull up, just about touching their car and their mood changes to this isn't funny anymore and here comes the driver with a pizza in his hand. They left in a big hurry. I had to wait 15+ minutes while they ordered and waited for a .....n pizza to be cooked. Yes they were Millennials!