cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting older or smarter

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we were heading out this afternoon but with all the wind and storms we have decided to go really early in the am according tothe dw. I just don't like pulling the f'ver in 25 mph head wind and cross winds. Our first trip this spring we had to evacuate the campground because of flooding issues,granted we found another and got credit for the 2 nights we didn't stay. Seems like at least once a year we have some type of major weather issue. we sat out a bad storm in williamsville only 40 miles from home a couple of years ago.Oh well we are going out to eat then leavin in the morning.
scott
18 REPLIES 18

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Weather was a bigger factor for us when we had a PU. Back then we would either cancel or leave early if a bad storm was on its way. Now with the TT it would take a really bad storm for us to change our plans.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming it can be done SAFELY and one's rig doesn't leak - we like camping in our RV during a storm. That's one of reasons we have a self-contained RV.

We see no reason to pack up and go home, or move, ahead of storms - if it's not a hurricane or a tornado (unlikely here out West, anyway). One of the best nights I can remember is sleeping out in the middle of nowhere in our Class C in Death Valley during one of their all-night wind and dust storms.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Most of our trips are close to home. We only take 1 long trip a year and so far we've been lucky and not had to deal with some of the bad weather situations many of you have encountered. A bad storm is what got my family out of a tent though. We had went camping with our 2 girls 3 years ago. Last night there, a bad storm came up and soaked everything. Water in a little creek behind us was rising, getting close to tent. Dropped the tent, threw it in the bed of my truck along with everything else. A week later, we had a pop-up setting in the yard. It lasted less than a year. Every time we went camping, we had to drop it and bring it home in the rain. Got tired of drying the thing out. LOL. That led to our TT. I'm sure I'll run into some bad weather towing it on a long trip one of these days. That's fine. I'll just find a place to spend some time and enjoy another night in the TT.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when we camped in PUs, we used to delay, cancel, or pack up early during trips when bad storms were predicted. Not so much now with a TT.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
We plan very loose with our schedule by adding extra time when weather can be a factor. That's the great thing about being mobile, you have everything with you so you can hunker down and ride/wait out the storm in comfort. Better to be a bit early than have folks worrying why you're late.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Mr_LeMans
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta tell you having a TAG axle makes a HUGE difference. Especially on a 32 foot rig!

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
sele wrote:
we were heading out this afternoon but with all the wind and storms we have decided to go really early in the am according tothe dw. I just don't like pulling the f'ver in 25 mph head wind and cross winds. Our first trip this spring we had to evacuate the campground because of flooding issues,granted we found another and got credit for the 2 nights we didn't stay. Seems like at least once a year we have some type of major weather issue. we sat out a bad storm in williamsville only 40 miles from home a couple of years ago.Oh well we are going out to eat then leavin in the morning.

I'm with you. Last Christmas we spent 9 hours fighting 25-35mph headwinds and crosswinds. Not a pleasant trip. I'm already a skittish passenger ever since we flipped our other rig 3 years ago. Every time the wind hits us and the rig shudders a little, I'm bracing to go wheels up. By the time we got to our destination we were utterly exhausted.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wisdom doesn't have to come with age ... it can come anytime by using one's head.

We started traveling conservatively years ago. But just in case we run into the unexpected ... we now have a small Class C and try not to tow anything unless we're goin' fishin'.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PuneetA4
Explorer
Explorer
Trip is really full of fun and so many obstacles...

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Well we left this morning at 5am got drove through some rain and got to the campground about 9:30 got setup during a lite shower then went antique shopping we have so far enjoyed the day and unless the weather really gets rough we will be fine. Kind of sad the campground is only half full and this is one of the nicer ones we go to in central Missouri. I do understand what with the weather and all just sad is all so far we have only seen one poor guy with an umberlla out. WEare going for a walk latersaw a vechile go by with what looked like a storage box on back hope they don't have a tent.
scott

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
We have been known to delay a trip due to weather. It is too dangerous otherwise and who is to say we will find a place to stay to ride out the storm?
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
With age comes wisdom. 🙂
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

sele
Explorer
Explorer
seems like the last a couple of years have been one of extremes the front has just got to us here at home looks like early am the wind will be less and the chance of rain decreases. Guess the dw wants to getup around 4 am so we don't loose the hole day traveling.
scott

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Smarter!
ONCE I decided to plug on thru a rain with high winds, never again.

When I finally decided it was too dangerous I was in an area I didn't know the sun was going down. Caught a sign that said CG and started to follow the signs and ended up in a empty field of a closed CG.
This was coming down south thru Illinois where you are from! I swear all those roads heading south in Illinois are ALWAYS windy and dangerous.

Nope, first drop of rain and first gust of wind I am off the road so I 'can' get older!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.