cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFCI keeps tripping. Why??

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a (new to me) small Class 'C' Chateau Citation. The Norcold Model N611LT trips the GFCI every time I plug it into 120V. The fridge works fine when I bypass the electrical receptacle behind it and the GFCI does not trip until I plug the fridge in. It works fine on propane. I've replaced the GFCI and the new one also trips. Spent a couple of hours on it this afternoon and I'm stumped. I'm going to put in a regular receptacle for now since I'm going camping to-morrow morning.. but there has got to be a reason it is doing this. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?? I won't have wi-fi once I leave to-morrow but I'll only be gone a week and it would be nice to get this resolved. I don't like the idea of having receptacles with no GFCI provisions ๐Ÿ˜ž
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)
12 REPLIES 12

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers to my recent question about my refrigerator tripping the GFCI. I received a new heating element in the mail yesterday and installed it this morning. It was difficult to get the old one out (it was pretty tight!) and I had to use a few drops of oil to get the new one in... but it's now fully installed, operating, and working great. The fridge has been running for about 10 hours without tripping the GFCI!!
Thanks again! :B From a Happy Camper!!
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
My thanks to all who commented. I will be changing back to the GFCI as soon as I get settled into my campsite later to-day!!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My guess (and I am pretty good at this) the electric heating element in the refrigerator is grounded, or at least starting to short to ground.

If you keep running the refrigerator on 120 volt, you risk it shorting out further, and perhaps arking, and creating a hole in that expensive to replace refrigerator. Of course if it catches fire, then the expensive to replace RV too.

Just leave it on propane.

IF you are handy with tools, then consider taking out the electric heat element (ONLY IF it slides out easy, do not pry on the ammonia filled tubing) ! and replace the electric heat element. This will save you a couple of dollars on propane on each trip, but in reality, I would not recommend it.

I had a 1985 RV that had 'problems' running the refrigerators on electric, and a recall a couple of times (a recall, then a recall on the replacement 'safe' parts). SO I only ran it on gas. I only needed to fill the 10 gallon propane tank every 4 weeks while full timing in the RV! So no big deal, and that was both refrigerator, water heater, and whatever cooking we did that summer trip.

The tripping GFI is indicating a problem with the refrigerator. I would hate to have you explaining to the firemen who came to your campground that you bypassed the GFI to save $1 in propane!

GOod luck.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Always fix what's broke..there's a reason why the GFCI trips. Fires can be costly...Dennis

Since GFCI devices are for protecting lives, not property, a loss of life can be very disruptive to a person's future.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
It does not take much of a fault for a GFCI to trip. That is how they are designed.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always fix what's broke..there's a reason why the GFCI trips. Fires can be costly...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
It's not too bad of a job so you may want to try doing it yourserlf. There might even be a video of it on youtube.

Good luck!
Thanks ScottG. I've replaced one before.. about 30 years ago.. but my memory ain't what it used to be!! :S

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's not too bad of a job so you may want to try doing it yourserlf. There might even be a video of it on youtube.

Good luck!

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The OP replaced the GFCI and it still trips.
The heating element in the fridge has developed a short to ground. It's a very common failure and even though the fridge may cool properly, you need to replace the heater.
Thanks ScottG... that was going to be my next guess. The heater is hot to the touch and the fridge is cooling fine. I guess I will have to find an RV dealer during my travels :R

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Have you ran a extension chord from the fridge to the gfci to see if it pops if it doesn't then the outlet at the fridge is bad going to ground when you plug into it
I've used the extension cord and it works fine. I've replaced the receptacle behind the fridge too. I've checked the polarity on all the receptacles and that all checks out as well. It actually worked for about 5 minutes at one point and then tripped again. I've also tested the ground at the back of the fridge and it works as well. The system hasn't been wet at all either.. :h

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The OP replaced the GFCI and it still trips.
The heating element in the fridge has developed a short to ground. It's a very common failure and even though the fridge may cool properly, you need to replace the heater.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ran a extension chord from the fridge to the gfci to see if it pops if it doesn't then the outlet at the fridge is bad going to ground when you plug into it