cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sam RV Insurance Feedback

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering Good Sam RV insurance to cover the chance that our TV or trailer has major issues on the road. We currently have AAA but that would only cover our TV and would not help with getting our TT back to civilization while the TV was being worked on nor would it cover trailer issues. Anyone with experience with this insurance?

Thanks;
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10
14 REPLIES 14

Hickmantl
Explorer
Explorer

I would not recommend Good Sam.  I had it for one year.  They hiked the price and renewed without my consent and then when I immediately canceled they only refunded 1/3 of the premium.  I called and the agent was argumentative and rude.  

I switched to Progressive for less than half of the cost

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know a lot about AAA, but I believe they have about 70 regions and from what I understand not all are setup to haul large or heavy vehicles or to even do tire service… still they sell the RV upgrade in some of these areas…

I posted this earlier it is straight from a AAA document… apparent they are not equipped to ensure tire service or towing for many vehicles…

The club shall provide service to the following:

• Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes), regardless of license plate designation, if those services can be safely delivered.

• Dual-wheel campers/motor homes will be provided all services but may exclude towing, extrication/recovery and tire service due to size. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service when special equipment is needed.

what the heck does that mean??? And they make no mention to towables here…

I have read many times if you are in another region for some services you might have to pay for them and then seek reimbursement from you home region... but I don't know if that is true or not...

Sounds like a pretty stupid policy for an RV service contract
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We insure our MH and car through State Farm now. We had AAA for that, but now only have the s&b with AAA and the RV PLUS roadside assistance. They raised our car rates sky high after a auto accident not of our fault.

With the AAA RV PLUS they will tow your car and trailer or motorhome if needed, car entry, tire changing , etc. However supposedly there are some states they don't cover. You do need to have a auto club membership with them to have insurance or roadside & towing, they tell you that straight up. If You cancel the membership they will drop your insurance when renewal comes around. That's how they roll. So when checking insurance rates you need to add your membership rates to the figures as you can't have the insurance without the membership. They have been great when we've called for car lock outs and flats.

We do have Coach Net as well. Just don't want to be tied to one source if the time comes we need a big tow. Besides I think AAA only allows two or three calls each year for road service.

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Timely topic.

We have had AAA insurance and roadside since 1970 and been perfectly fine with it. Towed our old trailer for 10 plus years insured by them. We bought a new trailer last year and started RV'ing instead of camping and began reading these forums. We wanted to be sure we were covered with the roadside stuff so checked in detail with AAA, well guess what they really don't have any service available that would actually do anything about my trailer like removing it from the roadside if my truck broke down. Dropped there roadside service like a hot rock and signed on to the Good Sam service for all our vehicles for less than I was spending at AAA, and they will actually do something with my trailer if the need arises.

Next chapter.
Receive all the mailings from Good Sam like ever body mentions and one of them is about RV insurance, you know; comp, collision, etc so we get to wondering are they really competitive and are we comparing apples to apples.
We contact our AAA agent, yes we actually have one, and she sends us a breakdown of costs and coverages so we can compare them to Good Sam.

Then she drops the bomb: OH, you cancelled your AAA club membership the company will probably not renew your policies! WTF we have been with the company since 1970, auto, homeowners, umbrellas, etc. and your going to cancel us????

We are presently looking for a new company and loyalty be damned to any of them.

Just my experiences, your camper may sit leveler.
Tinbender

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I have considered Good Sam RV insurance but I feel it is way overpriced. I have my TT on the same policy as my truck for much much lower and the coverage seems comparable.
I do have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I have used it thee times and I will never leave home without it.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Sounds like you are talking about roadside assistance and not the regular type of insurance. AS you will read about the forums, they are all a******shoot. You will probably find more complaints on here about Good Sam, because this is a Good Sam board and people come here to complain. Go to Coach Nets forum where people complain or AA's...wait they don't have one? What are they hiding? lol

:B:B:B How true...

as if that was the only thing they were hiding... you can't even see the contract until after you bought it...
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ascofield
Explorer
Explorer
Had occasion to use GS Emergency Road Assistance about a month ago. Stranded on highway 20 miles from the nearest town. Called GS and 2 hours later the tow truck had us, our TV and 5th wheel at the Dodge dealer we asked for. GS even offered to tow the 5er to a campground (problem was with the truck) if we wished. No out of pocket expense. Only problem we had was trying to figure out exactly where we were on the highway! GS ERA is like any other insurance - it's only good if you need it! Happy camping.
Ansley & Susie
2008 Carriage Domani 302
2005 Dodge SLT Diesel Crew Cab

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the roadside assistance twice, it worked well, both times. We did have to wait a bit the last time, we were about 10 miles east of Deming NM.,guess there weren't that many RV repair places available. We called the number on the card, Good Sam called someone with whom they had a contract relationship. Both times these folks have done a good job. Seems like we did have a little out of pocket expense the second time, however, it was minimal. We have just purchased the Good Sam Premier Travel Assist Insurance, mainly because it covers not only us, but anyone traveling with us. The Good Sam website has a lot of information on each of the above mentioned programs, plus others.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are talking about roadside assistance and not the regular type of insurance. AS you will read about the forums, they are all a******shoot. You will probably find more complaints on here about Good Sam, because this is a Good Sam board and people come here to complain. Go to Coach Nets forum where people complain or AA's...wait they don't have one? What are they hiding? lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have GS for roadside assistance and also their insurance which is National General. Never had to use either but nice to have. I do not get any mailing from GS.....I went online and opted out of any mailings. Has worked for 7 years.
cpaulsen

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
being a member of GoodSam entitles you to spend money on a growing number of their programs .... their insurance and roadside assistance are two very different programs .... we found their insurance to be way overpriced but have found the cost of their roadside assistance to be competitive .... just be aware that they don't offer any programs on which they structure to lose money

Jim
Are there companies that do make it their business to lose money?

We're happy with the Good Sam extended service plan so far. It is not a contract and we pay it on a schedule that can be stopped at any time with no hassles.

Another odd thing is we never get mailings from Good Sam and we've used their service a number of times. I don't know why we don't get mailings but I don't feel too left out.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
being a member of GoodSam entitles you to spend money on a growing number of their programs .... their insurance and roadside assistance are two very different programs .... we found their insurance to be way overpriced but have found the cost of their roadside assistance to be competitive .... just be aware that they don't offer any programs on which they structure to lose money

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
dclark1946 wrote:
We are considering Good Sam RV insurance to cover the chance that our TV or trailer has major issues on the road. We currently have AAA but that would only cover our TV and would not help with getting our TT back to civilization while the TV was being worked on nor would it cover trailer issues. Anyone with experience with this insurance?

Thanks;
Just join Good Sam, & you'll get all the junk mail you ever wanted concerning Good Sam Roadside Assistance Insurance , I get about 3 offers a week in the mail, I've gotten so many that I know what they are without opening them, so the go directly to the trash unopened.

Yes I understand that. We are Good Sam members through Camping World and we get plenty of that type of mail. I have always blown that off but have been rethinking if that might be a good investment.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
dclark1946 wrote:

Thanks;
Just join Good Sam, & you'll get all the junk mail you ever wanted concerning Good Sam Roadside Assistance Insurance , I get about 3 offers a week in the mail, I've gotten so many that I know what they are without opening them, so the go directly to the trash unopened.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund