cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam RV loans.. good, bad or the same as the others

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are looking at buying our first airstream, a 2007 model from dealer in NJ. According to them that is too old for the banks they work with to handle.

My wife called good sam RV finanical service and they will do a 2007 long as we get application in before end of this year.. (2016 it go to a 2008 model is oldest they will finance).

SO my question is has anyone gone through these guys to get a loan on an RV and how was the experience.

Also what was price of RV, how much was required down, and what was % rate for loan and length you were able to get..

we plan on selling a townhouse next year and pay the loan off or most of it depending on profit from sale. We were planning to wait but the prices of airstreams are going up at a nice clip of late, 2007 classic 27 FB (front bedroom, 41K. ๐Ÿ™‚
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
14 REPLIES 14

leavesfall
Explorer
Explorer
When I got my car in credit, in a year I found myself in a really difficult situation when I had literally no money to pay. I had to take a loan and I was in such stress so I didn't look for much info about the company, its name is inbox loan, you can read reviews here - inbox loan review So as you see, I wasn't the only one. Spend as much time as possible looking for information about companies.

Dave___Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Entegra I went to my local banker and checked with him. I was able to buy this coach with no money down for a 15 year loan at the same interest rate that Good Sams offered. The interest rate is re-adjusted at the 7 year mark.

I would recommend everyone shopping the local banks first.
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear you brother:)... but from a couple of RV sales guys I talked to they have too many that are ready to buy a RV to get back to answer questions.. Back in 2010-12 they would follow you home to get the sale. Now it a sellers market, same with real estate in may area.

zach477 wrote:
They were one of the lenders I shopped. Rate was ok. I called and left a voicemail to get clarification on some documentation they needed, but they never returned the call. Therefore they did not get my business. I went with US Bank. No complaints.

On a side note, I also had a few RV salesmen who didn't return my calls/emails. They also didn't get my business. I guess they didn't feel like making money....
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
They were one of the lenders I shopped. Rate was ok. I called and left a voicemail to get clarification on some documentation they needed, but they never returned the call. Therefore they did not get my business. I went with US Bank. No complaints.

On a side note, I also had a few RV salesmen who didn't return my calls/emails. They also didn't get my business. I guess they didn't feel like making money....

Fredzo
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam uses Essex Credit (Bank of the West), and I was very happy with my dealings with them.

Only dealt with G/S for the first part of the app. Took four days from inception to money to the dealer.

Also a better interest rate than my credit union.
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
2005 Liberty Renegade Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar, Brake Buddy
Retired on Jan 1, 2010!!!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
SO here is update..

We tried to do application online on Dec 30th, to get in under the wire for a 2007 year model Airstream we had been looking at online.

They only go 9 yrs back on new purchase, and 12 on refinance. Of course the online application process was not working.. so we called and talked with a guy on the phone. (clueless)

We are a small business owners plus have several rental properties.. well to make a long story short we were denied the loan on some stupid reason they did not understand.

We went with local bank we had been working with for year to do home equity loan and that seem to be going better thus far.. will know next week on tue (King day Holiday) and it looks good..

We are getting a 2005 31Ft classic Airstream down in florida and are getting excited about it..

For us GoodSam was a bust. if you have cookie cutter job with W-2 they might work, or all others try a local bank.

PS: if you have equity in home it better to use that in some cases as the interest is deductible on taxes.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Our credit score is very high and that does affect the rate you get from any lender. With that in mind, when we bought our coach we compared the dealers offer to multiple other lenders, including taking the money out of an investment account and second mortgage. Our purchase was a 2008 coach in 2014. We ended up going with GS. Their rate was competitive, their customer service was excellent, and we have had zero issues. If they are taking a cut, I am OK with that, since the rate I am paying is competitive. Your mileage may vary.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam does not make loans. They simply redirect you to a lender who then gives Good Sam a cut of the action.

Good Sam also does not sell insurance.

It is the same business model that AARP uses and is very profitable.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
I have used https://www.essexcredit.com/ on many Airplanes. Never financed a RV. They depreciate way too fast.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam RV loans.. good, bad or the same as the others

Bad.

Countless complaints of not being able to contact them, phone calls not returned etc etc. Search the GS forum right here on RV net. Just last week one customer could not get a phone call back. Posted on the forum and they finally responded to them. Pretty sad when you have to post on a public forum to get your lender to call you. :R

IMHO Use a real bank.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would shop loan rates. Lots of variables. Your credit rating, what you are buying, amount and length of loan, how much money the company jhas to loan etc. Most important I make the loan part of the deal if it is dealer financing. For example offer plus no more than a certain interest rate, no amount for making loan. Whatever you expect and are willing to accept. Some low end sales guy will say oh no we don't do that. Your response OK I'll do some more shopping. Bank of the West has always treated us well. A lot of it will depend on your credit score. Approaching 800 name your terms.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Who underwrites the loans? Unless GS is loaning the money, it's just a kick back to GS for doing the paperwork.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Dealerships are not required to set you up with the lowest interest rate that you qualify for. Say you can might qualify for a 6% loan on a $100,000 purchase, and you would pay $6,000 the first year in interest. If they can get you to accept a 8% loan and pay $8,000 in interest the first year, they can get a kickback from the finance company, and not telling you about any money they get back or pay to originate your loan is perfectly legal.

Normally if the dealership is giving it's customers a 0% interest loan, they are paying the finance company a fee to set up the no interest loan. This might be as much as 10% of the purchase price.

Anyway I would recommend that you check with https://www.lightstream.com/ because they gave me a 3% interest rate, and all the paperwork was done over the internet. They even electronically deposited 35 cents into my checking account, (to verify that the account was valid and worked) and then now take out the car payment each month automatically.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go to the good sam site and find their current rates. We are getting a line of credit against one of my investment accounts. We will let the dealer give us their best rate and if it's less than the LOC rate we may let them have the loan.

Also, the finance guy should shop for the best rate, not just good Sam.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT