cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sams gas savings

Stylish_sunny
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, I follow this forum and as many have said this needs to be a sticky!! Love the information and use it frequently. I do have a question...DH went to camping world to find a portable poopy cart ๐Ÿ™‚ and of course they didn't carry it in the store BOOO, but she mentioned getting the Good Sams membership. My thought is the Diesel savings would be awesome even for our daily travels (we pass by two of them daily) BUT, is it for real?? why does this seem to good to be true?
17 REPLIES 17

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I just dropped G.S National General and went back to GEICO, saved $140.00 a month, Natl. General charged me $90.00 to cancel the policy I will never recommend them to anyone.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Dunno about Good Sam's savings, but I saved $500 switching to Geico ...

Sorry my twisted sence of humor kicked in...

Well, I switched to Geico, then to Progressive, and then to Liberty. With saving $350 to $500 each time, now they actually pay me!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes it is real. Sometimes the difference in cost is more than the discount. Sometimes you are forced to use Pilot/FJ because other stations seem like they were designed for golf carts and don't have room for a bigger vehicle.

One of our favorite places to camp requires a route that only has two places to buy fuel that have even reasonable access, and even the Pilot on this route is the worst laid-out I've ever seen. Others require a left turn on a heavily travelled 4-lane road with no light when leaving or are inaccessible with an RV. I use Gas Buddy to plan the fuel stop and pick which one will be cheapest including the discount. A Love's is under construction along the route, so my planning may change in the future.

The free shipping on CW purchases is a new perk on the GS club membership that might tip it to be a better deal. I'm almost two hours from the nearest CW and since we are relatively new RV owners it has been handy.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:

Bet you did it in 15 min.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
The grocery store fuel discount is a plus. We use Fry's and the discount is only good for 35 gallons. My fill-up is usually over 100 gallons. I use the Gas Buddy app to find the cheapest fuel wherever I'm at.

Another gas buddy but watch diesel prices. Wish it would have been available when I drove commercially, using 100 gallons a day & buying my own fuel. Normally gas buddy has fuel 25-35 cents a gallon less than truck stops. Pretty simple math even @ 30 gallons a fill in he P/U.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Flying J card every chance I can and being close to Al, which s already 30-40 cents a gallon cheaper than Fl., ( I paid 2.12 a gallon yesterday) being an Elite member I get 7 cents a gallon off at the pump for three years then reverts to 5 cents a gallon, but to me I save more on gas than my GS card costs, also the other discounts add up, so to ME it is worth the price of the card.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you have to be a member of Good Sam to get that "Swipe & Save" card?

Yes, it's also my membership card...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on where you live a Plenti card works well also. Saves serious money at Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie grocery stores. Several restaurants as well as Exxon and Mobil stations give rewards as well. Plenti is not a charge or debit card, you swipe it and then use a credit card for those discounts and/or points.
Puma 30RKSS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The grocery store fuel discount is a plus. We use Fry's and the discount is only good for 35 gallons. My fill-up is usually over 100 gallons. I use the Gas Buddy app to find the cheapest fuel wherever I'm at.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have to be a member of Good Sam to get that "Swipe & Save" card?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $2.34/gallon for unleaded regular gas today at a Flying J near Tampa, FL using my Good Sam "Swipe & Save" card. Other stations in the area were charging $2.39 to $2.45. And since I paid with my PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card and it's 5% rebate, my end price was about $2.22. Is the Good Sam discount for real? It certainly is...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way I could save a dime with a Good Sams membership. My credit cards give me discounts or cash back, and I donโ€™t have to go to an overpriced truck stop.

Check online before buying any RV related goods to see where you can get the best price.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Shell's loyalty program isnt too bad either, 10 cents off a gallon, so far no terrible strings attached. They stipulate you need six fill-ups per 90 days to maintain the discount status. I fuel my daily driver Subaru weekly at shell, typically 8-10 gallons of high-test.

Best thing is it works with a phone number so there's no card to swipe or leave laying at home, or on the counter at the station.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed