cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a question for the group please...

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, After looking and debating for a while my wife and I have secured a permanent site at Hide Away Campground in Bryson City NC. At 60 years old and with arthritis and bad back trouble it was just getting to be too much trouble setting up and tearing down. So with that we're going to try to make our travel trailer as comfortable as possible considering we will likely be staying in it for longer periods of time especially during the Summer. I've ordered two lazy boy recliners as the first step towards that goal. And I've decided I need to mount the tv to the wall on one of those single arm mounts so I can swing it toward the sitting area or the bed depending on where we want to watch. That leads to my question. My camper has the aluminum frame fiberglass laminated walls. I call them composite but I'm not sure if that's correct. From previous experience I know that getting something to attach to them is about as successful as hanging something directly to sheetrock without anchors. So what I plan to do is attach a piece of 3/4 plywood to the wall; I'll probably bevel the edges and stain it to make it look okay. Then I can attach the mount to the plywood and it should be fine. The question is, how to attach the plywood to the wall or better yet, how do I find an aluminum stud in one of these sandwiched walls? I saw an app called wallabot for android that looks like it would work but unfortunately I don't have an android device. Can anyone tell me how I can find the aluminum studs in my wall? Or does anyone have any good ideas on how to attach the tv mount to the wall? Thanks in advance for any help.
15 REPLIES 15

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
importman wrote:

Just thought of something else: I have an infrared digital thermometer that might just do the trick. If I catch it when it's cold outside and run the heat for a little while I may be able to slowly move the thermometer across the wall till I find the colder spot. Surely the aluminum studs won't insulate as well as the full walls. Opinions?

It might work! Or it will show where they didn't insulate ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Or you can simply push on the luan paneling you can feel where the studs are.

LOL! That's how I found mine (and did the same thing the OP suggested, although 3/4" plywood might be overkill. I think I used 1/2" ply)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
IF you are going to put a mounting board across the wall with glue anyways, i.e., PERMANENT, you could always drill a series of small "fishing" holes across the area that will be covered with the board to find the studs.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on the wall, you may find out the wall doesn't have any studs on the area in question.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow guys, thanks for the quick responses. I am usually pretty good at finding studs in a sheetrock or paneled wall by knocking. But this wall is like fully bonded together with the fiberglass on the outside and the paneling like material on the inside with something sandwiched in between. So there's no give at all on the inside and the sound doesn't change as I knock along it. The walabot looks like it would work great but it's only available for android devices which I don't have. I had already thought about liquid nails and I plan to use it but I would really like to have a few screws into the stud. I think I'll try looking at it from the outside when the humidity is high. It also seems like I can remember being able to tell something about it from the inside one time when it was really cold outside and I had the heater on. Like maybe the wall was sweating everywhere except at the studs. Anyway, thank you all for your help. Now I have something to work with. I do appreciate it.
Just thought of something else: I have an infrared digital thermometer that might just do the trick. If I catch it when it's cold outside and run the heat for a little while I may be able to slowly move the thermometer across the wall till I find the colder spot. Surely the aluminum studs won't insulate as well as the full walls. Opinions?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how strong your walls are but I just pressed mine in to find the part that bowed in a lot and the sections that didn't move to find my wood studs. I used a few lag screws to hold my articulated arm TV mount.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
A $20 stud finder will find aluminum studs, too. I have an older version of this stud finder Zircon Stud Finder and it finds the aluminum frame 12" on center in my Allegro. I wish I had used it when I installed my outdoor shower. I picked the only spot in the rear where the studs were closer together and had to tweak the shower box to accommodate a stud.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep seeing ads for I think it's wallabot or something like that. IT's a device that lets you "See" through the wall with the aid of your android phone.

All I can tell you is the ad exists never seen the product.

Son of a Gun found it in one GOOGLE search
Walabot

I stress I know nothing about that product other than part of what is in the ad.. 70 dollar price scared me off of viewing the full ad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
With a fully articulating arm it with have more force leverage on it. I have found Titebond Construction adhesive to be stronger. Just one small tube would do you. It is a faster setting adhesive but does not come off easily. You need dynamite to get that stuff off.

Sometimes you can locate the studs by knocking on the wall with your knuckle telling by the difference in sound it makes.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Dutchmanโ€™s idea. Modern flat tvโ€™s donโ€™t weigh much, you spread the holding strength across the entire board. Good idea.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can simply push on the luan paneling you can feel where the studs are.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
What ScottG said . . . Plus , I think standard stud finders may also alert on aluminum studs....you might try that.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arthritisโ€™ best friend is inactivity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad