cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

KarenAnn
Explorer
Explorer
For the girls:

The place to get it:

Domestications.com

For the fur friends:

I have two very small dogs. Both black. Those chem lights or light rings when doubled to bracelet sixe fits perfectly around both dogs necks next to thier collers. Now at night I can see which of my friends they're mooching off of! LOL
Jersey Tomatas
Not all who wander are lost... Tolkein[COLOR=]

threedogtrip
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the original clock with an atomic that gives us time, date, day of the week, temp, humidity and moon phase. I have no bedside table on my side of the bed, so I bought a travel clock with a cover, took the cover off and attached it to the bottom of the cupboard over our heads. It's not lit, but has a button to push to illuminate the numbers (in a soft blue, so it's not blinding).:B
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--- Philip K. Dick

1999 Gulfstream Sunvoyager
(Our Gulfstream Home Site)
2006 Jeep Wranger
Doberlady
German Shedder Dog
Rescued Gentleman (In Spirit)

Bob_N_Tinker
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow RVer I know had a musty smell inside their RV from being closed up. A small fan left running inside the RV with a window or two cracked helps keep some air circulating. The RV no longer smells musty.

I also found some 3M plastic hook and loop (almost like velcro) that I use to keep the remotes from getting lost. Just put a piece on the remote, and another piece where you want to keep the remote and it's always there.

My DW bought some small plastic storage containers that we keep utensils in. Keeps them from sliding around.

I bought a solar shower at Wally World. I keep it outside and when I'm done BBQing I have hot water to clean up without using my LP.

Bought some light sticks (In the Army we called them Chem-lights) at Walmart. The grandkids use them instead of flashlights around the campsite. They come in a variety of colors, and can be used as night lights for midnight potty trips.

Bought a small folding wooden drying rack at Walmart, takes up next to no space and is great to use for drying beach towels or clothing.
2008 Tiffin Allegro, 2007 Honda CRV Toad

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
I never can find a clean funnel but, I've got paper plates. Roll it up like the shape of a funnel and toss it when finished. Great for bleach in the water tank, or oil in the TV, gas in the generator..........
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

Tor2ga
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own reversed letters or numbers. Lay a strip of clear package sealing tape out with the sticky side up. Arrange your letters (a little smaller than the tape) on the tape, sticky to sticky. Stick the tape to your trailer or whatever. The numbers will be reversed. Rub the tape tightly over the letters to remove the tiny bubbles. You could substitute 3M protective film for the tape and go on for paragraphs!
Tor2ga

Roadtrek 190 Popular (2004)
Belle, the yellow Lab assistant

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
You know how the electric cord goes all over the place in a cabinet. I solved this with a plastic bucket (actually a container that swimming pool chemicals came in.). I pulled the cord all the way in to my 5ver, cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket, fed the cord thur the bottom and out thru the outlet. (the open top of the bucket faces toward the outlet). Now when I retract the electric cord it coils in the bucket. I use a plastic container that is smaller at the bottom than the top. Works great.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased this Coleman Collapsible Basket at a RV supply place in Wisconsin last summer. I absolutely love it. It's so handy, especially for taking meal items out to the picnic table. The nicest feature is that it folds up so takes up less space in the RV. I find myself taking it out of the van and using it around the house and at the school where I work, too. Maybe I should purchase another one?
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
have two things for the campfire. found a bellows at a yard sale for $2 great for getting the fire started and keeping it going. the other thing is a piece of sheet metal 2'x3' and I use it when we have a chilly night and have a fire ring with nothing to reflect the heat. have a special place in one of the compartments for as it does get sooty. works great !
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a box (100 pair) of disposable latex gloves. I put them behind the drivers seat. Each time I fuel or dump I put on a pair of the gloves. When finished off they come and into the trash.. I also like the disposable shoe cover thing from a previous post.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

IdahoGem
Explorer
Explorer
ak_traveler wrote:
Here is another "creeping rug" tip: Use the hook side of Velcro under your rug and you shouldn't have anymore rug-chasing incidents!

What a great idea! That should work very well, and they would still be washable.

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
ak_traveler wrote:
rocknrollpro wrote:
Call it a sign of old age, but I could never remember how tall my trailer was. I measured it to the top of the AC unit (3 times) added 4 inches for bounce (not that I would be going through Walgreens at 60 mph!) and planned to apply black stick on vinyl numbers in reverse on the trailer right were I would see it in the mirror. Got the idea from a Uhaul rental I saw. The problem is I could not find numbers with the sticky on the "wrong" side. Then I figured out for me I could cheat becasue at 10' 0" I could use a letter I for the one and make my own feet and inch markers from the left over. I find my self gazing at my handy work on the high way some days....just kidding.

Does anyone know where to get reverse vinyl numbers?

There are some great ideas here!!!

Enjoy!

This is a great idea! My fiver isn't tall enough to really worry about usually (only 11' 10") so it will pass under all the major overpasses that truckers use. But I do know of a couple spots where it would be tight. Might haveta do this to my unit as well. Let's see... 3 capital I's and one zero oughta do it! LOL!

Glad you liked it. Depending on the numbers you get, you should have enough left over stock from inside the 0 or the edges, to make your inch and foot marks. See you out there, I'll be the one hanging my head out the window like a golden retriever looking at my stick on numbers!!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I was replying to a forum thread about soap and I gave this link. Then I thought I should also put it here, too.

When dry camping I find these Huggies Disposable Washcloths to be very handy. Wet them, wash, rinse and you are done quickly. They really help in our little van. I don't use them at home or when we have gray wter hook-up. Just when dry camping. I can conserve water the best when I use these. You could actually cut them in half, too.

melmun
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of buying those expensive vent filters a stores, buy a roll of cheesecloth and wrap around your vents, that's what I use at mu stick house and works great, and a lot cheaper
Mel & Sheila
2008 Safari Simba
2004 Jeep GC Toad Falcon 2 Towbar

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Cinderella wrote:
Enjoyed reading everyone's tips. Does anyone know how to keep a runner rug which I've put down on the carpet in our fiver from creeping up. Not sure how to keep it laying flat.

Here is another "creeping rug" tip: Use the hook side of Velcro under your rug and you shouldn't have anymore rug-chasing incidents!
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

DONLYN
Explorer
Explorer
Wow..this is a great thread. RV'ers are so inventive and resourceful. This should become a forum itself.