cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Aggiepi
Explorer
Explorer
This is great stuff for this noobie keep it comming.
Edward M.
1996 National Sea Breeze

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great ideas here for newbie to oldtimer. I can understand why the administrators don't want to make a bunch of new forums but making this thread a sticky would seem to be a rather simple, innocuous, and useful thing to do. The more readily visible it is the more people will post their ideas and the more valuable the thread will become. I'm not very creative and I appreciate the heck out of it when others share their creativity. Thanks to all of you who've posted.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton

hybridist
Explorer
Explorer
I found some "tallish" food storage containers at a dollar store and they fit perfectly in my medicine cabinet side by side. Saved me from having to pick up tension rods, and keeps all the little stuff together and organized.

Scrapz - Great idea, I hadn't thought of velcro to use the "wasted" space, I'll have to pick me up some. Thanks for the tip.

hybridist
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde

DH, DD, Me

Nights Slept: (2009: 3 and counting) (2008: 24) (2007: 35)

2006 Shamrock 232
1994 GMC 1/2 ton
Reese WDH & Sway Bar
My Webshots

seniormutt
Explorer
Explorer
wireless frige thermo
compass battery operated for tow vehicle Harbor Frieght $7.50
solar panel controller Camp World $30.00
electric jack Camp World $150.00
coleman procat heater
3 inch memory foam topper
led lantern

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
To increase the storage in the medicine cabinet I used Velcro. I noticed that I had lots of small bottles on the shelf, held back with a bar, and there was a lot of unused space above the little bottles. I put a strip of industrial Velcro, the hook half, along the top edge of the shelf space, on the back wall. Then I cut small pieces of the fuzzy half of the Velcro to put on the backs of the small bottles. Now the small bottles are stuck to the cabinet wall in a higher position than when they were sitting flat on the shelf. This leaves room on the actual shelf for other things. If I write the new expiration dates on the old bottles I can reuse the ones with velcro on them. Otherwise I will need to cut another small piece for each new bottle I buy. If an item is heavy, you could put Velcro on the underside of the shelf that's above, and another small piece on the top of the item. That way it would be gripped from the top and from the back. We've put several hundred miles on the motorhome since I installed the Velcro, and nothing has fallen.
Kathy :B

jimnbets_DRV
Explorer
Explorer
We use a couple of tension rods,wall to wall, over the tub to hang wet towels on. OUTSTANDING idea for a new site!!! "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end the faster it goes" Happy Trails Jim & Betty
Jim&Betty Anderson 2001 F350 Lariat Crewcab 4X4 Dually Diesel 2002 H.Hiker 32RLTG

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
Gismos mom, this is a great thread, glad you revived it. I shared some ideas previously, but I have some more hints to share.

AprilShowers posted that she saves her MaryKay free samples for the RV, well here is a site where you can order almost any kind of small sample you can think of. From Shampoo to syrup! Of course, I originally found this site on the RV.net forum.

Mini stuff

I also read on the RV.net forum a few years back a tip that we use all the time now. When you wash your awning, use a Mr. Magic Eraser. It really cleans and brightens your awning. Works great in the shower to take off soap scum too. Do not use the Mr. Magic Eraser on the body of your RV or vehicle, it will take the shine right off.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

AprilShowers
Explorer
Explorer
Handy hint for the ladies: When my Mary Kay lady gives me sample sizes of my skin care products, I put them in the TT. They are the perfect size for traveling. No more pouring into smaller bottles, or wasting space with the larger products, or worse yet, purchasing it twice one for the house, and one for the TT!
"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission."
Eleanore Roosevelt

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTT :B
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm let's see... three full grown adult men...water...electricity... Yep a sure-fire recipe for excitement! LOL!
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

SCrissinger
Explorer
Explorer
Looking back, probably not a good idea, but here is an example of what three guys can come up with while hanging around a campsite without wives to keep them straight...I give you the very first five cups of coffee brewed with a portable battery charger and 12 volt coffee maker from Camping World...the coffee was GREAT!!!

The conception of the idea...

The first attempt with the actual plug...

Enter the Jumper Cables to help...

And the close up of the connection...don't try this at home...
Steve, Julie, Madison & Lauren

2003 Yukon SLT 4x4; 5.3L with 3.73
Reese HP Dual Cam; Prodigy Brake Control
2006 Travel Star 28SSO XLT

Bob__from_Michi
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
What is a "black strike?"

Black streak.....
2001 Chevy Silverado, 4X4
Bug splattered windshield
Uses too much gas
"Jesse Tune" (undecided if I like it)

1998 23' Rockwood Ultra-Lite
No slide out
No fancy-schmancy after market gadgets

Sure I'll help you, but I'm not going to do it for you.

MechanicalNut
Explorer
Explorer
Great Thread. Bump!
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport with all the options
Prodigy BC
2006 Nash 26x
1200# Equalizer Hitch
2007 Kipor KGE 3500TI Genny
DW: (Reunited Teenage Sweethearts)
DS: 13 yo (baseball fanatic)
Man's Best Friend: 50 lbs of love and joy aka "Daddy's little helper"

pipelnrwife
Explorer
Explorer
We too took the Flintstone mattress (wonderful description crappie hunter!) out. We replaced the RV King w/new King pillowtop. It sleeps wonderful, but made it very heavy for me to lift up to get to the underbed storage. Hubby installed an electric linear actuator under the bed, tied it into the electrical system w/ a double switch. And now all I have to do is push a button and my bed lifts up allowing me to get into the storage area underneath and then goes down with ease.

We also have a stack washer/dryer, consequently we lost a lot of space to store the laundry detergent, bleach, etc. Hubby attached brackets to the inside of the doors and then mounted and attached the plastic bottles (sideways) from Wal-mart that have the little "spickets" on them. Each laundry item then has its own bottle which dispenses and stores quickly and easily. Another plus is that since the bottle is clear you can easily and quickly know how much product you have on hand and can buy accordingly...
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH
2008 Jeep Liberty
A miniature American Eskimo Dog (Eskie) named Q-Tip (Q.T. for short), a kid in Graduate School.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Our LP tanks got burgled at the storage facility where we leave it during the winter. Someone had removed the plastic cover, switched empty tanks for our full ones, then placed everything back. We did not notice until we retrieved the rig and used it in a nearby campground, and we had no propane. We have not had any trouble before with anyone messing with the batteries or propane. We (and the storage site owners) learned we were parked in a blind spot where the video cameras left a gap in the coverage.

After getting the tanks filled, we went to a local hardware store and bought a set of 5 padlocks all keyed identical. One padlock secures a bicycle lock cable wound through the tanks and frame, another two secures the batteries, a fourth secures the ball hitch, and the 5th is an extra for securing generators, bikes, or whatever. We each have a key on our keyrings and extras inside.

The next time we went to retrieve the rig, I noticed someone had removed the plastic tank cover and started to remove the tanks, but did not finish. He must have seen the cable and stopped.

BTW -- the story finishes with the owners of the storage facility firing a young male employee whom they suspected of the theft, after other reports of rigs being broken into into. All evidence they had was turned over to local police, and criminal charges are pending.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~