cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

takeakidcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 8 ft.piece of 1" pvc pipe with a male threaded adapter on one in and mounted a female metal adapter to the bumper on our TT.screw the pipe on to the bumper and installed a spot light on top of the pipe.You can run your cord through the pipe and plug it in the outside plug of your TT and have a spot light.When not in use,store the cord in the bumper with your sewege pipe.

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Garmin. Wouldn't leave home without it!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

AtlantaGuy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, I think you will find the Garmin to be the easiest to use. It's very user friendly and I love my Garmin 660. All of the Garmin's are nice and I would highly recommend them.
2011 Winnebago View 24K
2013 Honda Fit

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Cruiser,

How do you like that Garmin? We are new to all this as well and are looking at the Garmin line..

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Magic_Carpet_Pi
Explorer
Explorer
I put that bubble shelf liner between our inexpensive Ikea dishes and they travel in a drawer all the plastic and baking stuff is up in the cupboards where the dishes would normally go. No breakage ever. I just don't like eating off of paper or plastic.
I also put all baking ingredients into a seperate bin, spices, dried goods etc. see through and easy to get to in the pull out shelves. Also keeps critters out.
A wok with cover can be used for many different things when we had The VW camper it was the only pot.
The pizza stone in the oven helps to prevent burning on bottom and is great for baking the bread on, and of course pizza.
Our fan has a timer on it and is great if placed in front of a bedroom window when you first hit the sheets, kind of lulls you to sleep and then shuts down.
Our solar panels keep us going boondocking and DH has hung his hammock between the pin and the truck many times.

That's all I can think of right now.

Keep the thread going, it's great.
Magic Carpet Pilot, Delta, B.C. www.ladner.ca/travel
2005 F350 Ford King Ranch CC SRW, Superglide hitch
2006 Newmar Cypress 32RLKS solar powered 5th wheel
Favorite destination: anywhere in Mainland Mexico :C

cruiserfolks
Explorer
Explorer
These are great tips for anyone, but especially those of us who are really new to this.

We love our XM radio while on the road. And our little Garmin StreetPilot that lets us type in TA or Love's Travel Center to find the nearest locations to where we are.

Thanks for all the great hints!!!!!
The Reeds
Northeast Texas
Absolute Newbies in O'Malley, our 1999 Forest River Georgetown
DH, DW, 2 Crimson Tide YAs and a 13 yr. old Golden Retriever

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
One of the guys on another thread here pointed me to Harbor Freight for wheel covers, (4) for $9.99..Good deal..

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Nursedeb wrote:
I found a "picnic caddy" from Lilian Vernon website that I just love.

I just saw this post and ordered one. Looks like a great idea; I hate having napkins and paper plates blowing off the table!

Thanks. :B

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
Magic Carpet Pilot, we put the rope lights on the ground too. DH likes to put them all the way around the rv, so we can also see better when we go to get things out of the bins on the back side at night.
Kathy :B

Magic_Carpet_Pi
Explorer
Explorer
We lay the rope lights around the outdoor carpet great to spot unwanted critters and ease of walking.DH likes it because nothing hanging to take down when moving out.
Magic Carpet Pilot, Delta, B.C. www.ladner.ca/travel
2005 F350 Ford King Ranch CC SRW, Superglide hitch
2006 Newmar Cypress 32RLKS solar powered 5th wheel
Favorite destination: anywhere in Mainland Mexico :C

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana wrote:
Has anyone made a "splatter guard" for by your stove - any pics or descriptions?

Would love to see it......we need something, just haven't figured out what yet!:h

I bought a stove "hot pad", the 8-1/2" x 20" silver kind that you use between the burners on your stove. On the back side, I put two pieces of Velcro on the upper corners, one piece centered on the bottom, then stuck it to the wall beside the stove. I can remove it to wash it and it works great at keeping the splatters from the wall! And since it is insulated, it doesn't transfer any heat to the wall from the stove. I can't get the picture to copy over to this post, but here is the web address for the stove mat that I am referring to.
http://www.mileskimball.com/mileskimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Kitchen&SCID=Bakeware+%26++++++++++Cookware&ProductID=FGNS&SiteNum=0
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
๐Ÿ™‚
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Wow what a great bunch of tips.

We have not yet taken possession of our class c, but I already have a tip I have not seen on this thread.

I bought bath, beach and kitchen towels in a colour that I do not use in our home. It will be easy to see after laundry which ones need to go back in the RV.

I also have bought the huge Zip lock storage bags to store linens, pillows etc in between trips.

6X5er
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic trays that Cokes/Dr. Pepper are delivered to stores make great storage bins. They stack easily and because they are about 6-8 inched deep, you see everything. Many stores throw these away and the delivery personnel will give them away as well. We have large ones and small ones.

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
Good save KLO :B We can keep this thread alive by posting!

Here's some more hints.

The DH cut a piece of PVC pipe about 3' in length. He then notched out an opening at one end to fit the hand crank on the vent. I can now open & close our front vent in the 5er with this handy little tool, I couldn't reach it before.

Measure your slide and transfer that measurement to your electrical cord and mark it with some duct tape. After backing into your site, you can pull the electric cord out and check to see if there is enough room for your slides.

Keep charcoal in a 5 gallon bucket, it will stay dry even in moist weather.

We glued a piece of quarter round to the very edge of our shelves in the medicine cabinet. It keeps things in place while traveling, nothing falls out now. Everything still fits too.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"