cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
AK ....... I dont know it using the Vasoline would degrade the hose , if you put it in the same spot each time for 10 years it might be a problem.......
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Rv-Bella
Explorer
Explorer
To add to what Shirley and Fred said, You can also buy bay leaf oil and wipe down your screen's and widow frames with it. As S&F said they hate the smell. I heard it as a hint to keep flies and gnats out. So I suppose it would work just as well for keeping ants out. hmmmm. Rv-Bella

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
dogdiva wrote:
Use a "ring" of vasoline around any wires or hoses that lead from the ground to the rig. Creepy crawlers, like ants and spiders do not like to crawl thru the greasy stuff;\

Heard of using grease for this purpose also - but I'm wondering... does grease or Vaseline degrade the rubber on your hoses and cords??
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

Shirley_and_Fre
Explorer
Explorer
ONE MORE FOR YOU FOLKS!!!

If you have those little black 'sugar ants' in your rig, break apart some Bay Leaves into 1/4" peices and set them near the windows, fridge, doorframe and any other area that they might be gettin in (slideout corners, water heater compartment). ANTS HATE THE SMELL of bay leaf and oregano.

What can you do to keep wasps out of your trailer? We can't find out where they get in but we have a terrible time with them.

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
We always have a tv tray or two in the TT. We play cards with our camping buddies and a tv tray at the table provides space for coffee cups, pop cans or whatever we may be snacking. Also extra mealtime tables for more people at the couch.
Since they fold up so tight, they are easy to store.

I bought a nice wooden set of 4 TV trays. I store two under the bed and pull them out if we have extra company. The other two are in constant use when we are camping. One I use outside in between our two lounge chairs. They are tall enough that you don't have to reach over the arm rest and down to the table while you are lounging in the chair. Much easier to reach. The other TV tray I use as an end table inside our 5er.

They are versatile, nice looking and fold flat for storage.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
An idea new to me......We have a tendancy to have a LOT of stuff on the bedside tables - flashlights, alarm, books, reading glasses, personal products. I bought 2 baskets (plastic, couldn't find wicker) and put DHs stuff in one, and my stuff in the other. Sure was nice when we packed up and left the last camp....quick to pack up, quick to put the stuff back out. I also use one for my blow dryer, hair brush, hair spray, gel, etc in the bathroom. It fits in the closet when we travel and sits on the counter when we sitting.
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

stick244
Explorer
Explorer
For shoe covers when dumping I use Wal MART bags over my shoes. This saves cab carpet from something worse than what yiu track in when fueling.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
We always have a tv tray or two in the TT. We play cards with our camping buddies and a tv tray at the table provides space for coffee cups, pop cans or whatever we may be snacking. Also extra mealtime tables for more people at the couch.
Since they fold up so tight, they are easy to store.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great site, thanks for sharing this...
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
My DH will no longer turn blue when he has to unplug our Surge Guard from the 50A power cord in cold weather because someone from another forum lead me to this product and I wanted to share.

They are called Plug Dogs often referred to as Pull Dogs or Plug Pullers, that fit the male and female ends of standard 30 & 50 amp plugs and cables. I've ordered him a set and they are in the mail as we speak.
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

campandride
Explorer
Explorer
great site! Bump

Totendatrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Bump!
Bill & Cheryl
Gypsy & Nu cat
2007.5 GMC 2500 D/A
2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES.

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Lee,

GREAT IDEA! PVC is one thing I can work with..

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

LeeShearer
Explorer
Explorer

I made this to control my unruley 50ft coiled hose. Used 1" pvc
2005 Fleetwood Resort EXT 25SB
1999 Chevy K3500 short bed dually

busch2fan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the mirror I use...

HITCH SPOTTER

I tried the tailgate version, and the Hitch Spotter mirror gave me a MUCH better visual. I find it easier to look see the tongue of the trailer while backing up to it - instead of staring at the ball. Plus, the Hitch Spotter gave me a larger field of view to look at.

Construction is solid and winds have never been an issue in using it.

It is by FAR the best accessory I have ever bought.

Jeff