cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

paperheart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
paperheart

Alaska_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bumping up.

Got exhaust stains on your white exterior? Try using WD40 directly applied then wipe off. Takes a little elbow grease, but works.

You know, this thread is a STICKY candidate if I ever did see one. Admin?
2005 Dodge 3500 BigHorn Edition Dually, Nokian Vatiiva Tires, Espar Cab pre-heater, DuraFlaps
2005 Lance Model 1030, CareFree Truck'in Awn,

More Alaska Pictures here
with a lot more to come!

RoadWarriors2
Explorer
Explorer
Bump !

The best thing for us was eliminating the nighttime light from coming into the bedroom. I made dark, heavy, quilted inserts, and put velcro at the top on the "wrong" side, and the other piece on the metal frame of the day / night shades. It's now pitch dark in the bedroom.
Tony & Maria :B

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH
Cat C7
Freightliner
Allison 3000
Jeep Liberty

Viet Nam Vet 66-67, 173rd Assault Helicopter Crew Chief - "Robin Hoods"

Travel Blog: www.roadwarriors2.blogspot.com

Another day, another 100,000 brain cells gone........

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket and others: You can use a hair dryer too, I saw it on RV Today a couple of years ago- works well to clean off those vent screens, and nothing else to buy!

Happy Camping...Puttin.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
I havn't been through this whole thread, but one of the best things I did was to replace the fan in the bathroom with a big attic model that you usually see in the living room. It sure is quiet and powerful, plus it exhausts or pulls with a flick of a switch. Has variable speed and doesn't affect tv reception. On days when it won't get above 80 degrees, and we are headed out for awhile-I put both on exhaust and crack a window- everything is a nice temp. when you get back. Also, for those of you who may not tow or use your hitch too often, I bought one of those storage boxes that fits in the hitch reciever. I have plenty of storage space, but this thing prevents you from bending, kneeling , or whatever to retrieve important items you use often. I use it to store my leveling blocks, indoor/outdoor carpet, folding step, 40' of sewer hose, and other things. (The utility hookups in the park we go to alot are located in front of your space-thus all the hose).

bikermom
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner, What a great idea! Will share your tip with DH.
Awesome DH of 34 yrs, adorable granddaughter, awesome son/daughter/son-in-law
"Harley" aka BikerMoms Classic Harley (Shih Tzu)
2006 Keystone Zeppelin II 271
2005 GMC 1500 4X4
2005 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
We usually come back home late (after dark) To park the trailer requires backing up about 150 feet on an S curve. Backing up is not a real problem as it is all downhill, but if I drop the wheels of the truck off the concrete and the if the trailer is pointing the wrong way I am in deep doo doo as I will not have the traction to pull forward.

To aid in backing up at night so I can see the sides of the driveway better, I open all the binds in the trailer and turn on all the inside and outside lights enabling me to see the sides of the driveway better.

(I have never tried this at a campground as I usually boondock. I am sure someone will blast me for turning on all my lights)
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

jjammo
Explorer
Explorer
I save my plastic resealable coffee cans. They come in three sizes. I use them for storing all sorts of stuff such as flour, pasta, rice, sugar etc. Also great for small hardware or anything else that will fit. You can label them or decorate as you choose. Many uses, use your imagination.
USAF Retired
1999 National Tropi-Cal 36'
03 Ford Ranger,4x4,auto w/Remco, air-lift susp.
Brake Buddy Classic
09 Polaris Ranger RZR 800

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
I met someone who had the receiver hitch brake away and the emergency cable was attached to it! So on my old TT, I installed a hook on the frame and hooked it by a 1000lb clip. I would have to loose the whole back end of the truck for it not to work!!

I've also been told that not all locking pin locks are of equal quality or rating. Buyer beware!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

cspera
Explorer
Explorer
I would never chance using a quik-release pin on the TT hook-up as per photo nor on the tow vehicle. Only a reg. lock/key will be safe from pranksters,etc. Now on my FW, I use a steel collar on the pin in storage with a strong lock and on hitch-up, I transfer the lock to the release arm on the truck so it cannot be released by anyone else.

grantx5
Explorer
Explorer
To those who hate brushing up against the hitch ball and getting grease on your pants, grab your favorite beverage in a can (Coke, Pepsi, beer, etc.), cut the top 1/3 off and stick the botton 2/3s on ball. It's a perfect fit, almost free and can be replaced anytime you want.
Jim, Lisa, and Hobbs (our dog)
'05 Dodge 2500 Laramie 325/610 CTD 48re
'17 Northwood Fox Mountain 235RL

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I too find your chain hasp as a safety pin way too much of a weak link. I only use a keyed locking pin on mine. Not afraid that someone will steal my hitch but there is always that kook in the crowd that thinks that it might be a great practical joke to remove or partially remove the pin, just for the fun of it.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Pat,

I know it is yours and you can do what you want with it - buttt.

The clip that you are using as a safety pin on you hitch receive is a cast pot metal, it is very suseptable (sp?)to breaking, it will not bend (much) it will break.

I've had 2 friends almost loose their tow car because the receiver pulled out of the hitch. Chains worked, but front ends got trashed. Our thought is that someone pulled the safety pin while they were stopped, either at a rest area or eating. One, as they were coming back to the M/H in a rest area saw a group of folks leave the area of his hitch and ride off on cycles. Both incidents happened within 40 miles of their last stop. Use a pin - and - a hitch lock.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

smander74
Explorer
Explorer
I use the collapsible laundry basket as a hamper and store it in the tub when not bathing. It's great to be able to just pick up the basket and head to the washer when we come home. Also, I use it as the basket to re-load the camper with the towels, etc...

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer
These two items might seem very trivial, but they helped us out.

This takes two seconds to hook up the Brake Away cable now, and only cost $2 at the hardware store

I dont know how many times I gouged my shins and knee when trying to step over this large square piece of metal on the Hitch. I'm short, so it's a big step for me:B

I usually keep the ball greased up and when ever the truck was unhooked from the camper, I cant count the pairs of pants that I ruined from brushing up against the greasy ball.

So I was able to kill two birds with one stone by putting a Beer Cozy over the piece of metal that was gouging my shins, then when the two are unhooked, I place the Beer Cozy over the hitch ball to keep the grease where it should be and not on my pant legs. :B

Cost? One Beer Cozy and who doesnt have dozens of those lying around?

Hope that helps !

Pat
Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish