cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Illusion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for all of you -
Anyone figure out if there is a "sturdier" screen door you can buy? Made of ???
Our cat likes to lean on the screen, and it pops open. I figure there must be a better "handle" mechinism (?)
Also thought of screwing in some type of latch on inside and out.
Any thoughts?

SallyCO
Explorer
Explorer
hemlox wrote:

Hang your keys from the antenna crank. I bet you wont forget it then ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL... and the 6'4" Significant Other would really appreciate "remembering" those keys every time he takes a thwaaaaap in the forehead when he walks past them.

hemlox
Explorer
Explorer
SallyCO wrote:
Hint for remembering to get that antenna down -

I find the most bulletproof way to remember to get the antenna down is to make it impossible to move the rig before remembering to crank it down.

So I put my keys in a screwy, inconvenient spot. The act of having to go to a weird place (say bathroom cabinet, or on the floor under the seat, etc) is my trigger to remember to get the antenna down before putting keys in the ignition.

Hang your keys from the antenna crank. I bet you wont forget it then ๐Ÿ™‚
Rockwood Signature 8318SS
Chevrolet Suburban 4x4
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

SallyCO
Explorer
Explorer
Hint for remembering to get that antenna down -

I find the most bulletproof way to remember to get the antenna down is to make it impossible to move the rig before remembering to crank it down.

So I put my keys in a screwy, inconvenient spot. The act of having to go to a weird place (say bathroom cabinet, or on the floor under the seat, etc) is my trigger to remember to get the antenna down before putting keys in the ignition.

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
While it may be true that clicking on the subscribe for this post, this works for those of us that know it is here...........however for new people viewing the boards, if it is at top of list, it will be there for them to view. So I am BUMPING again. LOL

By the way, I have subscribed to it and many others, wonderful feature, always go to my favorites first.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

ohiotubagal
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like every time I get back from a camping trip, I think of new things we've done that make things easier...

I can't take credit for this one...I think I read it in book about frugal RVing...to make cheap, effective fire starterssave your
toilet paper and paper towel rolls and stuff them with dryer lint. Works great!

At mealtime, put all of your food/condiments in a cloth grocery bag and carry everything out at once. Easier than going in and out all the time.

Someone else here mentioned using clothes pins as reminders for your leaving camp checklist. I have pins labeled: antenna, cable, sewer, electric, water, slider, leveling jacks, garbage, vents and bungees. I clip them to our iPod cord attached to our radio in the dashboard.
Mish
1 DH (he does the driving)
2 8 yr. old DDs
2005 Coachman Freedom 30.5 ft

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Fort_Turner wrote:
Here's one for people with small children. When we put our 2-year old down for nap or bedtime, he likes to peek out through the curtain to see what is going on outside. We stick two of the suction cups with hooks above and to either side of the window on the outside of the trailer. We then hang a bath towel across the hooks whenever he is in bed. It also darkens the room which is better at nap time.

Heck that might even work for us "older children" at our nap time too! LOL!
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

Fort_Turner
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one for people with small children. When we put our 2-year old down for nap or bedtime, he likes to peek out through the curtain to see what is going on outside. We stick two of the suction cups with hooks above and to either side of the window on the outside of the trailer. We then hang a bath towel across the hooks whenever he is in bed. It also darkens the room which is better at nap time.
2006 Terry Quantium 2952BS 5'ver
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 LB V10

jtbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but here's one of my favorites.

We were lamenting the fact that we don't have an outdoor shower on our PUP, so I went to the local WMart and bought a "Y" adapter for the city water faucet. One end of the "Y" goes to the camper, the other end goes to a 6' section of hose with a hand held garden sprayer (one with about 10 different spray patterns) on it. Viola! Instant outdoor shower for hosing off dirty kids.

It doesn't have hot water, but it will definitely get the sand and dirt off your feet.
Me (69), DW (69), DD (95), DS (00), DS (01) and 1 camping toy fox terrier (08)
06 Aerolite Cub 23BH, '00 Chevy Suburban LT 1500

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
Serena wrote:
Sheesh - I wasn't even thinking about all the bungees.

>> group of bottles bungeed together inside fridge so they can't hop the guard rail.

I use refrigerator bars like these in the fridge to keep everything in it's place. To make sure everything is snug I push everything to the back of the fridge and secure with these barsโ€ฆworks really good. I don't have any surprises when I open the door during or after a trip.
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
Sheesh - I wasn't even thinking about all the bungees.

Electric 'stick' fan/heater to wall behind lounge chair
Wardrobe doors, until I remember to buy a new door clasp
Spin dryer and sewing machine to dining table leg
Anything carried on the scooter
Keeps lid to the house batts up while working via bungee to coffee cup holder
trays of small parts bungeed in a stack while moving - each becomes the lid for the one below
group of bottles bungeed together inside fridge so they can't hop the guard rail
tighten up awning tie-downs
keep tarp on roof during repairs via bungee to A/C cover
poop in a group (just kidding!)

Other things I don't recall or haven't even thought of yet. That, and little strips of velcro for temporary attachments:

blow dryer to wall
holds button down on sink hose while washer fills
every kind of cord and cable coiled
drapery tie-backs
hang window covers in bedroom

Collected interesting boxes for years - now it's soft bags and stuff to stick some stuff to other stuff. Heckuva hobby. Who knew?

ohiotubagal wrote:
Bungie cords! I use them for everything...

-Keep your plastic dish drainer in place on top of your stove. Hook one end of cord to the store grate, other end to the oven handle
-Keep broom/vacuum in place. Stand them up, all together, and wrap cord tightly around the handles. I attach mine to the plastic thermostat on the wall (it has small openings in it).
-Keep a fan in place on your countertop
-Hang towels/swim suits/anything wet on a cord to dry

The possibilities are endless!

Label maker machine - label all the cupboards/drawers so everything goes back in its place.
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

ohiotubagal
Explorer
Explorer
Bungie cords! I use them for everything...

-Keep your plastic dish drainer in place on top of your stove. Hook one end of cord to the store grate, other end to the oven handle
-Keep broom/vacuum in place. Stand them up, all together, and wrap cord tightly around the handles. I attach mine to the plastic thermostat on the wall (it has small openings in it).
-Keep a fan in place on your countertop
-Hang towels/swim suits/anything wet on a cord to dry

The possibilities are endless!

Label maker machine - label all the cupboards/drawers so everything goes back in its place.
Mish
1 DH (he does the driving)
2 8 yr. old DDs
2005 Coachman Freedom 30.5 ft

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like great stuff. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't suit some of my purposes. Some of what I have has been around here for a while, others are for particular projects. Might pick up a roll when I run out of some of the others, though.

If there's one thing I've learned doing this, it's what sticks to what and for how long at what speed with how much weight on it. (Didn't mention the hot glue, super glue, butyl caulk, marine glue, epoxy, riveting tool, and sewing machine because they aren't in the kitchen cabinet.)

I swear if they ever gave classes on sticking stuff together, wiring other stuff together, and lubricating stuff that isn't supposed to be together, this whole forum might die, lol.

ak_traveler wrote:
Serena wrote:
I have rolls of:

masking tape, duct tape, electrical tape, electromagnetic wire, insulated wire, painters tape, packing tape, scotch tape, and velcro.

We carry only two kinds of tape - blue painters tape (doesn't leave any residue) and rescue tape www.rescuetape.com
This stuff is great and takes the place of just about all others. We use it for electrical, plumbing, and other "emergency" uses!

Oh we do use Velcro too but we don't carry any extra - only what is needed for a specific use
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Serena wrote:
I have rolls of:

masking tape, duct tape, electrical tape, electromagnetic wire, insulated wire, painters tape, packing tape, scotch tape, and velcro.

We carry only two kinds of tape - blue painters tape (doesn't leave any residue) and rescue tape www.rescuetape.com
This stuff is great and takes the place of just about all others. We use it for electrical, plumbing, and other "emergency" uses!

Oh we do use Velcro too but we don't carry any extra - only what is needed for a specific use
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

cruz
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a repeat of a repeat, etc., But last weekend I FINALLY made that PVC Satellite stand I saw in one of these forums, and got to use it this weekend. It Worked GREAT !!! Had a storm come thru that knocked over some of the tri-pods others were using, and mine just sat there pretty as you please. :B I bet I could of sold 2 or 3 of these things this weekend !!
With the dish mounted upside down, we had one of the neighbors laugh and tell us we would never get a signal "that way" !! I showed them the TV set and they were shocked !!
Got several comments on it.

Here's the link I found if anyone's interested. "PVX Sat Stand"

I also drilled out the welds holding the Arm onto the dish, and now connect it with bolts and wing nuts. All the adjustments on the dish are also converted to wingnuts. It all breaks down nice and small.

CRUZ
HR & Beth

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500HD, DRW, D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and RED
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS
Cassie - pure Black Giant Schnauzer
Mollie - pure White Mini Schnauzer (the boss)