cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Gfitzgrld
Explorer
Explorer
Bofus wrote:
BUMP!
I agree with bertnspike
BUMP!
This is not a forum to chit-chat about items. That's for the regular forum..
REMINDER--This is for new idea's and suggestions and tricks , etc,etc for all our camping friends. And your idea's are welcome.
If ya want to carry a conversation or chit-chat, go to the other forum---PLEASE!
Whew!--I think I said what many other readers wanted to say long ago...
BUMP!

WOW! I know this is a popular thread, but it's not that busy you have to chastize......chit chat? Really? Some people just don't get it! Relax, take a trip and chill a little.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I use Microsoft Excel to make tables with all of our trips stats from location, phone numbers, costs, link to web site, travel time to next site, and finally comments as to the experience.
I spend a lot of time researching our trips, using RV Reviews, google maps, phoning,and ideas here.
We are not shocked or overly surprised when we garmin into a camp as I normally think I have a good idea what we are getting into.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
Similar to the post above, when browsing this forum I often read about interesting places to visit, things to see, or campgrounds I'd like to check out. But, they're quickly forgotten or I can't figure out what keywords to search on to find the thread again.

I'm also a Google/Gmail user, and love to use the My Maps feature at maps.google.com. I have one Map saved for camping and create place markers with details about these locations. Then when planning a trip, I can check my map and see if there are any recommended campgrounds or things to do in the area I'm headed.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
I was thinking that it was maybe time to bump this up. Anyone have any new gadgets?

Well, I have a tip I don't think I've seen on this thread. If it was posted already, I apologize: I created a Word doc on my Gmail docs with all of the ideas and gadgets I saw on RV.net. I've been shopping online all winter for this, that and the other gizmo y'all have recommended.

I now have a stash of things in my closet that we will install or use when we pick up our trailer in early May.
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

Bofus
Explorer
Explorer
BUMP!
I agree with bertnspike
BUMP!
This is not a forum to chit-chat about items. That's for the regular forum..
REMINDER--This is for new idea's and suggestions and tricks , etc,etc for all our camping friends. And your idea's are welcome.
If ya want to carry a conversation or chit-chat, go to the other forum---PLEASE!
Whew!--I think I said what many other readers wanted to say long ago...
BUMP!

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
Bertnspike, You may get a better response if you make this a separate topic, perhaps on a technical forum - especially if you identify your vehicle in the title. Otherwise - the mental image of your contortions did make me smile.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
no help?

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
I was thinking that it was maybe time to bump this up. Anyone have any new gadgets?

I hope so! My current "problem" is a better way to move the driver's seat forward. Right now, my solution is a cord on the seat lever, which is hardly ideal. It's just a bad design made by Gulf Stream in 2005.

The seat must be all the way forward for the slides to operate. If I sit in it to move it forward the lever is easy to reach (under the front of the seat) with my left hand and the seat moves easily when I pull the lever to the left. Then I cannot get out of the seat easily, and I am alone.

If I try to move the seat standing up, I can't reach far enough to push the lever leftward and still have enough leverage to move the seat.

So I've tied a sunglasses cord to the lever and pulled it around the seat post from the left so I can pull it and push the seat at the same time.

It's not very elegant - more like awkward! And no matter what I do, I end up falling over the doghouse one way or another. If anyone has a better idea I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I've never even thought about turning it on when traveling.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
vgoulette wrote:
I would often forget to turn off the water pump when stopped for a quick potty-break, so had DH attach a small Command hook next to water pump switch. I then hung my TT keys to it when stopped for potty-break. Now, we have a 5er, and that was one of the first mods we did to it. I have never forgotten to turn off the water pump since.

Why do you need to turn the pump off? Do you have a leak?

I always turn mine off too. Never know when something MIGHT spring a leak while you are away. Better safe than sorry.

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
I installed and extra pump switch next to the toilet just for quick stops.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
DW turned on the pump to use the bathroom while we were rolling. A few minutes later she asked why there was low pressure. I said "Did you turn of the kitchen faucet before turning on the pump?" I had opened everything up during storage and the kitchen faucet was running all over the sink covers and the floor.

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

mdock2
Explorer
Explorer
vgoulette wrote:
TMBLSN wrote:
vgoulette wrote:
I would often forget to turn off the water pump when stopped for a quick potty-break, so had DH attach a small Command hook next to water pump switch. I then hung my TT keys to it when stopped for potty-break. Now, we have a 5er, and that was one of the first mods we did to it. I have never forgotten to turn off the water pump since.

No, no leak, just don't leave it on unless needed when stopped beside the road.

Dumped 100 gallons in the kitchen while on the road b/c a broken pipe under the sink.....the pump stays off
Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

vgoulette
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
vgoulette wrote:

No, no leak, just don't leave it on unless needed when stopped beside the road.