cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
reinita wrote:
We have our TT serviced at the same Camping World where we bought it, and since we've gotten excellent service, we've worked with the same folks for the past few years.

We spent all winter looking through the forum and keeping notes of all the things we wanted to do to our TT. I kept a (long) list on a Google doc.
We don't have the "handy" gene, but I inherited the "I-can=write-a-check-to-make-up-for-it gene," so I called Camping World and spoke with one of their awesome service department people. She helped me think through the pros and cons of several of the items on the list so that I could prioritize.

We ended up with a much-shorter list for what they're going to do for us. She saved us hundreds.

Yeah, I still have a shorter list of things we want to do later on, but the check I'm writing when we pick up the TT is much shorter. (Translation: More money for camping!).

In our case, it's paid to build a relationship with a dealer/service department that has done right by us. And I'm sure it didn't hurt that we brought fresh donuts from a very well known spot the last time we were through. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Another tip that I'm wondering if anyone finds helpful is that on the rv.net board that talks about camping in Canada or the one that talks about campgrounds and state parks, I have been sharing the list of campgrounds we're staying at during longer trips. I do a ton of research before booking (yeah, I also inherited the plan-to-death gene), so hopeful my obsessive behavior helps someone else. I'm even going to share info on sites and places to visit for a trip we researched to death but can't take from Michigan to the Grand Canyon.

boy seem like you are working hard, very hard to have fun. LOL
I also plan my trips using Microsoft Excel,
rv park reviews.com, Google for views of areas and a call to the park. We are never going in blind and have put 65,000 miles on our current rig plus about 15,000 on our past trailer using this method. Good Luck
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
We have our TT serviced at the same Camping World where we bought it, and since we've gotten excellent service, we've worked with the same folks for the past few years.

We spent all winter looking through the forum and keeping notes of all the things we wanted to do to our TT. I kept a (long) list on a Google doc.
We don't have the "handy" gene, but I inherited the "I-can=write-a-check-to-make-up-for-it gene," so I called Camping World and spoke with one of their awesome service department people. She helped me think through the pros and cons of several of the items on the list so that I could prioritize.

We ended up with a much-shorter list for what they're going to do for us. She saved us hundreds.

Yeah, I still have a shorter list of things we want to do later on, but the check I'm writing when we pick up the TT is much shorter. (Translation: More money for camping!).

In our case, it's paid to build a relationship with a dealer/service department that has done right by us. And I'm sure it didn't hurt that we brought fresh donuts from a very well known spot the last time we were through. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Another tip that I'm wondering if anyone finds helpful is that on the rv.net board that talks about camping in Canada or the one that talks about campgrounds and state parks, I have been sharing the list of campgrounds we're staying at during longer trips. I do a ton of research before booking (yeah, I also inherited the plan-to-death gene), so hopeful my obsessive behavior helps someone else. I'm even going to share info on sites and places to visit for a trip we researched to death but can't take from Michigan to the Grand Canyon.
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

vgoulette
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Terri travel wrote:
Terri travel wrote:
Ok, maybe it's me! I know what Im looking for, and have seen it on this forum a few times, but I can't find it now. We want to replace the screen on the front of the rv door with plastic, acrylic, anything that will keep the dogs in, and the bugs out. It's been a while, but I saw very detailed instructions on how to do it on this site, and would love to see it again..Please Help, thanks...

I found the word i was looking for Plexiglas...Duh, so now I should be able to locate the forum I need..Sorry!

Some people use LEXAN instead of Plexi. You might want to try that, too.

DH used Lexan on doors of both our RVs. I LOVE it!!!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Terri travel wrote:
Terri travel wrote:
Ok, maybe it's me! I know what Im looking for, and have seen it on this forum a few times, but I can't find it now. We want to replace the screen on the front of the rv door with plastic, acrylic, anything that will keep the dogs in, and the bugs out. It's been a while, but I saw very detailed instructions on how to do it on this site, and would love to see it again..Please Help, thanks...

I found the word i was looking for Plexiglas...Duh, so now I should be able to locate the forum I need..Sorry!

Some people use LEXAN instead of Plexi. You might want to try that, too.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Terri_travel
Explorer
Explorer
Terri travel wrote:

2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29BHS

Mike & Terri (working hard to play);)

Melissa:C & Ty:B (23yr old daughter,13yr old son) Just along for the ride

Cujo:M & Sophie :?{1 bad Chihuahua & Diva French Bulldog}

Terri_travel
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29BHS

Mike & Terri (working hard to play);)

Melissa:C & Ty:B (23yr old daughter,13yr old son) Just along for the ride

Cujo:M & Sophie :?{1 bad Chihuahua & Diva French Bulldog}

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
We put a sheet of plexiglas next to the stove. Behind it we put the "rug" we got from Current catalog that was as thin as a placemat. I loved the "Camper, Sweet Camper" words on it, but it could never be used as a rug. We recycled it to protect the wall. (On another note: After we ordered the useless rug, Current decided to charge us a membership on our credit card without authorization. Our credit card company gave us a new number. No more Current catalog orders from us.)
Still having fun!

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
I interpreted as "maybe stainless steel would be more appropriate than plexiglass next to a stove" in response to:

stfnwuf wrote:
I enjoy cooking when we are camping. And while most times we cook outside (I am a messy cook), it is not always possible. DH installed thin sheets of plexiglass on the walls next to the stove to make clean up easier. He used velcro to attach the plexi to the walls.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
slownse wrote:
maybe stanleys shets vood be more aprobriat than plexiglas next to a stove

Am I missing something?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
maybe stanleys shets vood be more aprobriat than plexiglas next to a stove
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Lifetimer
Explorer
Explorer
Tri-Fold Travel Basket This is one of my favorite things. I have a couple of them. I use one for taking stuff back and forth from the house to the HTT and from the HTT to outside while camping. I use one for storing my electronics, and one for my crochet. When I don't need them I can fold them up and they store great.
Lifetimer
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Family of 3, Furbaby "Hope"
Seymour, TN

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy cooking when we are camping. And while most times we cook outside (I am a messy cook), it is not always possible. DH installed thin sheets of plexiglass on the walls next to the stove to make clean up easier. He used velcro to attach the plexi to the walls.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
JayWalker2009 wrote:
Bethany Carolina wrote:
Tips:
I use an empty kleenex box to hold my plastic bags.
After using the lemon in my tea, before pitching it- I use it to wipe down a sink. Smells good...
Save empty nut cans, Pringle cans, etc, to put food scraps in.
I like the all-in-one laundry detergent tabs. I've use Tide & Purex (cheapest) so far. No bottles to deal with. A little bit more expensive, tho.
In a full container of baby wipes, add 1/2c of rubbing alcohol. You will dry quicker & really smells fresh. But I do not use it on my face.
I use wintergreen rubbing alcohol, in a spray bottle, to clean counters, table, a spot on the floor, etc. Disenfectent & smells good.

Nice tips! I love to hear tips on how people use unconventional products to do a job. I am always trying to do that myself as well.

I also use empty kleenex boxes for storing plastic bags. I keep one just for doggie doo bags next to the door of the FW. Easy to grab a couple when leaving for a walk. Convenient and tidy.

I also use the Purex sheets for the trailer. So easy to to take one sheet with the laundry to the washers.

We keep two dry-erase boards in the trailer. One is for my DH to use on our camp outs. He illustrates our "theme" for that outing and we display it outside. It is a nice conversation starter. The second one is used mostly when we are with our camping group. We set it out so people can leave notes for each other or to list when activities are scheduled. It doubles as the drawing board when we play group Pictionary. They cost us about $5 each at WalMart.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

Ralphie_Boy
Explorer
Explorer
I took a one-foot long piece oak about 1.5" X 3/8" and attached five small cup hooks. I installed it on the inside of one of the closed cabinets near the entrance. We keep all of our keys here, out of site, but handy. I'll post a photo if you are interested. Just send me a personal message.

Works great...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got some really strong small "rare earth" magnets from Harbor Freight and glued them onto the side of the cabinet near our keyhooks, just inside the front door of the trailer. (I used a dab of Gorilla Glue -- that stuff is a little messy but it works very well.) The magnets hold the keys in place -- they don't fall off the hooks, even when we leave the keys in place while towing.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."