cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds pretty cool but wish they were available in sizes larger than 6-1/2' x 6-1/2'
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
bullmastifflover, that looks great. Can't wait to hear how it works.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

bullmastifflove
Explorer
Explorer
Found this CGear Mat developed for the Australian govt to keep under helicopters to resist sand kicking back. The reviews on Amazon were pretty good, but what really sold me was the video (included in the link below). Only problem, we haven't had a chance to use it.
http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/how-it-works
2001 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4
2002 Thor Tahoe Transport 33TB
2004 2332 VW sandrail, 4 seat, long travel
1993 Grumman 14' fishing boat

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
wolfcat1 wrote:
Not an idea, but a question...What can be done to stop tracking in sand and dirt in to your coach...we camp in an area that has a lot of fine white sand, between us and the gurls, our two fur babies, we are constantly sweeping...
thnks, wolfie

Awning mat, then foot bath outside and a couple of rugs inside.

I find a piece of astroturf on the steps (inside and out) helps with sand too.

You may have to relax your standards and only plan to sweep once or twice a day.

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfcat1 wrote:
Not an idea, but a question...What can be done to stop tracking in sand and dirt in to your coach...we camp in an area that has a lot of fine white sand, between us and the gurls, our two fur babies, we are constantly sweeping...
thnks, wolfie

Do you have a large outdoor carpet spread out outside next to your coach? Just having a shoe mat by the steps (maybe 2ft by 3ft) helps, but using a large (maybe 8ft by 12ft or more) outdoor carpet makes a big difference.

And yes, we constantly sweep also, lol!

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
wolfcat1 wrote:
thnks, wolfie

The only thing I have found that works for this scenario is taking the shoes off at the steps before coming in. And that usually works since we mostly are wearing flip flops all camping season.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfcat1,
I have two steps leading up into the motorhome. I have attached a piece of Clean Machineยฎ Scraper Door Mat on each step using velcro tape. Works great and if we are camped in a sandy area, I find myself "emptying" sand from the mats daily. The Clean Machine Door Mat is like astrotruf. You can find them at Ace Hardware. Just cut to fit the area you want the coverage at.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

CanadianCampers
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
You said your TT had a vinyl accordion door but isn't a Flagstaff 8528BHWS a FW? Or did you have a different TT and just got the FW? Not a big deal, just curious.

Yes, the Flagstaff is a 5th Wheel. We just got it and I was referencing the change we made to our old Terry travel trailer shower. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 3500HD GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel
2012 Flagstaff 8528BHWS

wolfcat1
Explorer
Explorer
BUMP. Sticky request for a really cool thread we all want...wolfie

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
wolfcat1 wrote:
thnks, wolfie

In addition to the foot washing basin outside and the towels just inside the door, I highly recommend a painters brush to dust off excess sand. It also works great in places a duster or broom can't get to.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

StanleyandIris
Explorer
Explorer
wolfcat1 - nothing. You can take your shoes off outside and have a foot rinse basin to step in, then a towel to dry off before going inside, but the dogs won't do it. So. . .

Iris

wolfcat1
Explorer
Explorer
thnks, wolfie

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
You said your TT had a vinyl accordion door but isn't a Flagstaff 8528BHWS a FW? Or did you have a different TT and just got the FW? Not a big deal, just curious.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CanadianCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Whew! That was a LONG read but I did it! ๐Ÿ™‚

A couple other posters mentioned this but I will say it again that when we camp we get a brochure for the campground with the map and while the kids are riding their bikes and we walk around we note preferred campsites for next time and I keep all of them in a small binder in the trailer.

Our TT had a thick vinyl accordian door (nearly pitch black in shower when closed and very little elbow room) so I took it off and installed the Extend-A-Shower rod from Camping world and used just a regular shower curtain....night and day (pun intended!)and plenty of elbow room now!
Extend A Shower Rod

I too use varying sizes of Rubbermaid Rough Totes to keep everything organized (from kids toys to sewer connctions) in my under storage and have all the bins labelled on all sides so I can see at a glance what is in them no matter how I have them shoved under there.

Probably been said a hundred times but I still love my Lynx Levellers and my BAL X-Chocks.
2015 3500HD GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel
2012 Flagstaff 8528BHWS

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of an accordion file taking up 8" of drawer space, I use lids as protectors between stacked pots and pans.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free