cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
This falls under "Why didn't I do this 10 years ago...". We always carry plastic leveling blocks, but don't always use them. I usually put boards under the wheels. Many times I'll use a plastic level block to help level the picnic table, grill, etc. but usually they just stay neat and clean in the back of the truck. Well, our TT is not getting any younger. The floor is showing its' age by how the step moves when you get in and out. Our last camping trip for some reason I realized I could use the leveling blocks like what is pictured below. Nice thing is, it is easily adjustable by adding or taking away blocks. The campsite was a bit angled, but it worked great! Wife noticed the difference right away. You can also use wood blocks if you have them. Like I said, why didn't I do this 10 years ago??

I just bought a Camco Save-a-Step adjustable step support and love it. Supprts the stpe as well as take out some of the rocking when going into and out of, the trailer.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okay, I'm missing something. That looks like a really long step to the ground. Why not repair the steps? Doesn't cost that much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
oops, double post.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
This falls under "Why didn't I do this 10 years ago...". We always carry plastic leveling blocks, but don't always use them. I usually put boards under the wheels. Many times I'll use a plastic level block to help level the picnic table, grill, etc. but usually they just stay neat and clean in the back of the truck. Well, our TT is not getting any younger. The floor is showing its' age by how the step moves when you get in and out. Our last camping trip for some reason I realized I could use the leveling blocks like what is pictured below. Nice thing is, it is easily adjustable by adding or taking away blocks. The campsite was a bit angled, but it worked great! Wife noticed the difference right away. You can also use wood blocks if you have them. Like I said, why didn't I do this 10 years ago??

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I just use One Of These

Never unravels!

That is the one we use to, was talked about on the forum a few years ago. Liked it so much in the camper (vertical mounted) we bought one for the house (horizontal under upper cabinet).

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We use viva brand paper towels. They will not unroll.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just use One Of These

Never unravels!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
suprz wrote:
The paper towels would always unroll while driving in our class C. So i took a 2 litre soda bottle washed it out, cut the top and bottom off to make a tube, then cut the tube lengthwise, viola! Instant paper towel clamp...

Neat idea! We use a rubber band... ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just stick a safety pin (through few sheets) in the middle of the roll, no unrolling. I have a magnet on the side of the holder for the pin while we are in camp. Also do the same for the toilet paper.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

W4MBG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Treeseeker. That knife block will turn into a missile aimed at your head if you ever hit something. I would stash it while traveling. At least put it in the sink...
1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

dstone
Explorer
Explorer
I need extra steps when getting in and out of our TT so our daughter gave us spa steps to use for that purpose. We are the envy of the campground.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Even though items may stay put during normal driving, I feel I should point out that anything not bolted down is likely to fly around during a crash, a near crash, a bumpy dirt road, or even hard braking.

Knives on a magnetic strip or in a knife block are very likely to fly off/out. I would definitely put knives in a drawer during travel. And I would not trust anything heavy, like a knife block, attached with Velcro to stay put either.

Better safe than sorry.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigRabbitMan wrote:
I have a nice wooden knife block for the kitchen knives. I wanted to use that instead of a drawer. So I screwed a metal plate to the bottom of the wooden block and then put Velcro on the block and on the counter where I wanted it to be and it has never come off.

In 2007 I put velcro directly on the bottom and back of the wooden knife block in my RV. In 9 years, it has never moved.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

no2tracks
Explorer
Explorer
I put a tool magnetic strip on the wall behind the stove to hold my knives.
1987 21'Kit Companion

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a nice wooden knife block for the kitchen knives. I wanted to use that instead of a drawer. So I screwed a metal plate to the bottom of the wooden block and then put Velcro on the block and on the counter where I wanted it to be and it has never come off.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We use a vertical paper holder it will not spin on its own and sits on the counter nicely and never moves while moving.
One other point that has been referenced before. The "rubberized" shelf liner stops movement of stuff. A small square it on the counter under items stops them from moving.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.