cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
I used to clean houses. One client was a very elderly lady and her bathtub/shower was always pristine. I commented that there wasn't an easier bathroom for me to clean, and I guess she thought I meant she never took a bath! She explained that her mom taught them to wipe the bathroom dry every time they used it. I hung a ratty old bath towel where it was handy, and started doing this every time I shower. Use a piece of toilet paper to pick up any hairballs on the drain, but any hair stuck to the towel will shake off when it's dry. Soap scum is still soft enough to wipe off, and hard water minerals go with the water absorbed in the towel. It's been a godsend since we put in a 6' shower with two clear full length shower doors.

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
We do the ziplock bag over the fire alarm thing now. Works like a charm...thanks!
Full Timing In Our 1996 Winnebago Brave (P30/454)
...Check Out Our Gate Guarding Blog HERE!
TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
With 2 Fairly Well Behaved Diggities
Venus And Midnight

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
HedoTravelers wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Our smoke alarm goes off when I am cooking bacon and sausage (and I am not burning it! :D.) I found that a quart size zip lock bag fits over it perfectly! The "zipper" holds it to the alarm and the rest of the bag just hangs there. I'll try to take a photo of this and post it later.
So before I cook breakfast I slip a zip lock on the alarm and cook in peace!
(I remove the zip lock after breakfast)

Happy Trails, Okie

Really? Why not just remove the battery or side it back about a 1/8 inch to so the contacts don't touch. Thats what we do. I leave the cover open as a reminder to re-activate it. No need to locate a bag and such.

We tried this once but putting the cover back on was not an easy task for DH. We have a cabinet right beside the alarm (at the steps) so I just put the zip lock on the top of the cabinet and it is right there for use the next time.

I took pictures of it this weekend that I will post today or tomorrow to show how it looks.

Here are the pictures, it really is very easy to do this. Seeing it up there, reminds me to take it off after breakfast.

Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
My mother has a VERY sensitive smoke alarm in her kitchen at home and she has had a lot of nuisance alarms due to her cooking. I cut one of the wires, spliced in a switch which I mounted within her reach so she can turn it on and off at will without having to get her 83 year old body up on a chair to reach it. Could do the same thing in a camper.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
HedoTravelers wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Our smoke alarm goes off when I am cooking bacon and sausage (and I am not burning it! :D.) I found that a quart size zip lock bag fits over it perfectly! The "zipper" holds it to the alarm and the rest of the bag just hangs there. I'll try to take a photo of this and post it later.

Happy Trails, Okie

Really? Why not just remove the battery or side it back about a 1/8 inch to so the contacts don't touch. Thats what we do. I leave the cover open as a reminder to re-activate it. No need to locate a bag and such.

We tried this once but putting the cover back on was not an easy task for DH. We have a cabinet right beside the alarm (at the steps) so I just put the zip lock on the top of the cabinet and it is right there for use the next time.

I took pictures of it this weekend that I will post today or tomorrow to show how it looks.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
If my smoke alarm does goes off - I remove it from the ceiling by twisting it, and lay it beside the sink. That way, when I begin to clean up, I will remember to replace it.
:B :B
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If my smoke alarm does goes off - I remove it from the ceiling by twisting it, and lay it beside the sink. That way, when I begin to clean up, I will remember to replace it.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:

Happy Trails, Okie

Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

sjptak
Explorer
Explorer
pastor mary wrote:
My question for you all, as I ponder moving up from my tent, is: how can I decorate the thing? Every one I have looked at has white or beige walls and I am a primary color girl. Can I paint the wallboard? Is wallpaper out of the question due to moisture?
Thanks!
PM
Teak Shower Mat

You can paint all you want. The wife and have painted over panelling and wall board in several of our RV's. We just for our current Class C and plan on repainting very soon.
Off to See the Lizard

'99 Four Winds 30' Class C
'97 GEO Tracker
'63 Honda 305 Dream
1947 Wife
1949 Me

sjptak
Explorer
Explorer
Lee185 wrote:
It took me a few days but I read every page.

Picked up alot of really good tips.

Another vote for a sticky. Thanks again, Lee

If people were to post these tips in the new DIY section, it would eliminate the need for having to ask for a sticky. The DIY section even breaks down to type of camping. Check it out..... It is the first section in the Technical Resources and is for Modifications, Maintenance and Upgrades.
Off to See the Lizard

'99 Four Winds 30' Class C
'97 GEO Tracker
'63 Honda 305 Dream
1947 Wife
1949 Me

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Velcro is like a thermos!
How did we ever do without it?

BTW - A thermos is the greatest invention - ever!
Knows when to keep hot things hot, cold things cold.
How do it know? :R

~

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Our smoke alarm goes off when I am cooking bacon and sausage (and I am not burning it! :D.)
Happy Trails, Okie

How else am I to know when Breakfast is done???:R

I use a band of Velcro around our dinning room chair legs to hold them during travel. Originally it used a couple of wood pieces attached to the table leg. This scratched the chairs and was a pain for me to get ready for travel.

Velcro is also used to keep track of TV remotes, and other things that need to stay in place like the LED clock on the bedroom chest.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 3M trays and storage items. I have one for a cell phone and a large and medium tray for eye glasses, keys, etc.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
mizdiny wrote:
I stuck 2 of those small push button battery lights on each side at the head of our bed in the TT. They give off a soft light. Now when I wake up and want to read in the night, DH, sleeps peacefully on without being disturbed. ๐Ÿ™‚
Good idea, Mizdiny!!!!!
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

mizdiny
Explorer
Explorer
I stuck 2 of those small push button battery lights on each side at the head of our bed in the TT. They give off a soft light. Now when I wake up and want to read in the night, DH, sleeps peacefully on without being disturbed. ๐Ÿ™‚