cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

firecapt1
Explorer
Explorer
Pastor Mary,

If you must use an interior wet shower check here for a much cheaper alternative:

Shower Deck

If you plan on using a "wet" bathroom regularly, you have to know that they are problematic. You always have water where it shouldn't be and if not dried out throughly, will cause problems.

If I were you I'd look into a small 5th wheel. Something the same size or a little larger than the TC you were considering. I would suggest the cheapest unit you can afford with a dry bathroom and a shower stall. In the end you will have a lot less grief and nowhere near the potential problems associated with a "wet" bathroom.

In addition, you can leave the 5er at the campsite and go wherever you need to in your TV. Believe me this is a big plus since at the very least we all need to "run to the store," not to mention seeing the local sites. In the end, you will probably find the cost to be about the same and the convenience to be exceptional. Don't even begin to think that you can't handle or tow a 5th wheel, it's so easy, not like hooking up or towing a trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚ JMHO
Frank, Martha & Ryan
2007 Ford F-250 SD Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS

Happy Trails to you, until we meet again! :B

pastor_mary
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know what happened. Five days ago I started wondering about possibly buying an RV and retiring half the year in Mexico. I started reading this and could not stop! The website convinced me that I did not want a MH, but do want a TC. Who knew?
This thread has been fantastic. It took me five days. I will post two tips of my own, but let me say first that I love that someone posted the amps of typical gadgets. I also will use the โ€œhang shower curtain from awningโ€ tip. I will also put down softiles in the TC. This was brilliant - I will also glue quarter rounds into the inside corners half way up my cupboards to hold shelves without nails.
I will be both boondocking and โ€œparkingโ€. I like the tip about putting a pistol type faucet in the shower for boondocking and I have decided that I will put a Y adapter on and give myself the option of โ€œregularโ€ for shore water and โ€œpistolโ€ for boondocking.
My other tip is that I may have to get a wet bathroom. If I do, my plan is to get one of those teak shower mats so I donโ€™t have to spend my retirement keeping the floor dry. Will this damage the floor?
Thank you so much everyone. I especially love that I read the whole thing and there was not a mean-spirited post once. Probably why this thread is so popular.
My question for you all, as I ponder moving up from my tent, is: how can I decorate the thing? Every one I have looked at has white or beige walls and I am a primary color girl. Can I paint the wallboard? Is wallpaper out of the question due to moisture?
Thanks!
PM
Teak Shower Mat

wyoben
Explorer
Explorer
One more quick one I use the binder clips from office supply stores to hold awning lights up. Organize cords like the cellphone charger cord and ipod charge cord next to the 12 volt outlet. the little metal handles come off real quick and once you run your cord thru and clip it back it stays forever.

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
AtlantaGuy wrote:
Methinks one might be a redneck if he/she has one of those hats. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

A deer fly hat on your headโ€ฆ.an OFF!ยฎ Clip-Onโ„ข mosquito repellant attached to your beltโ€ฆ.a spray bottle of Raid Maxยฎ Bug Barrier in your hand and youโ€™ll be the envy of the campground!

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
So glad I saw a pointer to this thread! I got through the whole thing (no applause please) and thoroughly enjoyed the ideas. This could be a whole forum instead of one post or a sticky. GizmoMom keeps up with it and could moderate. It would be great to be easier to search for these ideas.

That deer fly hat is great! Anything to capture those menacing creatures. I had almost forgotten them until I saw that collection on the "glue board"!

My latest find was a couple of cheap pencil boxes from Big Lots to replace our open storage trays in the medicine cabinet. We realized we can't store our toiletries in the AZ heat and the pencil boxes will be easier to transport.

This one is similar to those I bought for 88 cents each. It is back to school time so I also picked up a couple of plastic accordion files for both 8 x 11 and checkbook size. I'll store our increasing collection of manuals and paperwork in them.

I find several ideas at Big Lots--I like it better than the dollar stores but they are good too. These items are all from Big Lots. We use a covered file box for our kitchen trash--holds the regular plastic grocery bags under the lid handles and clasps tight for travel.

We use the foam floor tiles to line the shower and protect it during travel because we store firewood and the grill in there. We store them behind the toilet when camped. They had a car top carrier bag for $5 with a storage net that fits our folding bikes perfectly.

I bought some 15" tall X 12" wide and deep handled baskets for $6 each that will be more handy than our cardboard boxes for moving stuff back and forth to the RV.

Storage seems to be a major theme here. I use an auto seat back organizer with travel pockets
that I fastened to a wooden hanger for the closet to keep some stuff that was always falling to the bottom of the closet, the dustpan, flyswatter, flashlights, hats and sunglasses. This is flatter than the shoe hangers.

I found some suction cup pebble surface appliques for $1.50. There are six in the package and I'm hoping they will help keep things from rattling in the cupboard and provide enough support to hold things tight on the counter.

Our RV is still relatively new to us so I am still figuring out how best to organize and run the systems. Keep those ideas flowing!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

AtlantaGuy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Methinks one might be a redneck if he/she has one of those hats. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Winnebago View 24K
2013 Honda Fit

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
VAfan

I was just googling a way to rid ourselves of those kamikaze flies. Although, my wife makes me laugh when she gets attacked and goes running swatting wildly at the air!!
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
Deer fly catching Hat

Deer flies pestering you every time you walk through their zone? A pest glue board, Velcro and stapler and you can go โ€œtrollingโ€ with this hat!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
janethornburg wrote:
So there is a use for neon orange nail polish. LOL

LOL, I was thinking, they must be from New Jersey! (don't worry, I'm allowed to make NJ jokes... I have family there)

janethornburg
Explorer
Explorer
So there is a use for neon orange nail polish. LOL
Jane
Better Half
2dd
3 possible camping cats
3 large non camping dogs
1 nonncamping horse (unless there is a show)
Ford F150+1976 Starcraft popup
Ford F150+2000 Coleman Seapine popup
Ford F250+2011 Jayco 23J

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Our control panel for the heat/ac/fan and thermostat had tiny black knobs that were very hard to see unless we were close to the panel. I decided to "brighten" them with a bit of nail polish. I applied about 10 thin coats of my daughter's neon orange polish to the very end of the knobs. Now you can easily tell from any distance what the knobs are set at.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
dkingdoe wrote:
teebee1 wrote:
DW sewed black out material (tan color) to the back of the windshield drapery to better reflect the heat.

Where did she buy the blackout material?

Local fabric shop had the material in stock. We bought enough material to hang a curtain on a slide track at the back of the living area so that when we are traveling the dash air will keep the cabin cool.
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
teebee1 wrote:
DW sewed black out material (tan color) to the back of the windshield drapery to better reflect the heat.

Where did she buy the blackout material?
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

ReVoker
Explorer
Explorer
teebee1 wrote:

Black absorbs heat and doesn't reflect. My DW sewed a mylar backing to our windshield drape that effectively reflects sunlight back out.
ReVoker
An opinion on every subject...

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible