cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
I have rolls of:

masking tape, duct tape, electrical tape, electromagnetic wire, insulated wire, painters tape, packing tape, scotch tape, and velcro.

Now I also have them all hanging on a curtain spring tension rod inside a kitchen cabinet holding them all in a row as a dispenser so I don't have to to go searching every time I need one. (And the curtain rod still holds the other stuff in the cabinet in when I'm rolling.)
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving on Friday for our annual two week trip.

Our van is pretty small and storage space is limited. In the past I used plastic shoeboxes and containers to hold our items (flashlights, batteries, decks of cards, walkie-talkies, etc.). It was all crammed together.

This year I purchased small, clear vinyl, zippered storage bags. They are mostly cosmetic bags. I found them at the grocery store, drug stores and dollar stores.

They fit a whole lot better because they are soft. The best thing,however, is that you can see what it inside. That was formerly Joe's biggest excuse for sending me into the van. He would say that he couldn't find anything. Ha! I won't fall for that this year.

I am amazed at the extra room I have now and I know instantly what is inside each bag.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Warfire80
Explorer
Explorer
you know...you can just add this topic to your favorites and whenever someone posts something new, voila! it lets you know, you can even have the forum send you a friendly e-mail when someone posts something new.

daveasch
Explorer
Explorer
I love my little yellow 'cone' that supports my tongue jack. Much better than my previous assortments of blocks, cinders, etc. About $8 at CW. Only good on level ground though...

2001 Innsbruck 30DBR

2004 Chevy Suburban K1500 5.3L

Myself,:C my wonderful wife,:) and 4 great kids!:E:E:E:E

"Someone has to live in Colorado, it might as well be me"

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
ak_traveler wrote:
I hope, Benntexas, that in addition to your pressure sprayer, you also keep your epi-pen at arms' reach as well if you are so allergic to wasp stings. My son is allergic to bee stings and I've taken the "hit" for him many times.
I will second Traveler's statement about having an Epi-Pen on your person or in arms reach if you have such an allergy. I do also and carry an Epi-Pen. I have carried it for about 25 years and never needed to use it. 15 months ago I was out in the country for work and was stung. It saved my life. If I didn't have it with me (in my pocket where it is from the moment I put my clothes on till I take them off) I would not be here to tell about it. There was no time or means to go get it.

To Benntexas and anyone else that runs the risk of anafalaxis from either an insect or food allergy (I also react the same way to shell fish), the Epi-Pen or other device as prescribed by your doctor MUST be with (not back at camp) the potential patient at ALL times. 25 years of carrying it to save my life one time!

It was priceless!!!!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Benntexas
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
Love the fire pit ideas, Jim!

Years and years ago we read a hint about an emergency heat source. It may have even been in one of the old "Highways" magazines.

Take a small coffee can (was probably 13 ounces back then but 11 ounces now) and put a roll of toilet paper inside. Pour a regular size bottle (?pint?) of rubbing alcohol into the can, right over the toilet paper. Light. Cover to extinguish.

Although we have never needed an emergency heat source, this hint stayed in my mind because it went on to say that you could burn it safely inside a home or RV---there would be no toxic fumes.

We tried it once just to see if it would work and it did.

Just thought I would share that to see if it would help you with your fuel thoughts for your fire pit.

I wondered if anyone was going to post that. I used to take them to my deer stands and use them for heat.. I always had a flat rock to put over them to put them out.. Great idea and orderless.

Benntexas
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
All the talk about bumming food and feeding bums, reminded me of a good feel experience when we were camping in Alaska in 1993. We flew in and rented a Class C to see the state in a 2 week whirlwind vacation. We were setup for our last night before turning in the camper and flying home. We were talking to a young family with several kids (was a long time ago the facts are fuzzy) that were setup next to us with an old camper pulled by an old car. They were doing a family vacation while looking for work and had very limited funds. We mentioned we didn't really want to throw out all the food and supplies we had left but they were all open, would they be interested. Next morning they took everything we had left before we broke camp and they were very appreciative. Made a great finish to a great vacation.

Jim...

Wife and I had a simlar experience down in San Antonio with our cabover camper.. the young couple next to us were in a small car with stuff piled everywhere.. We got to talking to them and long story, short version, She was PHD of anthropology and he was student in Anciet Historys..

They had just finished a long long study tour with Margaret Mead Yes, that Mead. We had such a good time with them, invited them to stay in our cab over that night which they did.. they were on the way home to Bogota Columbia and planned on selling the car at the Panama canal and going on home by bus.. Kept in touch with them for years and finally lost track of them. Have never forgotten that trip

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Benntexas wrote:
Speaking of bug repellent,, I am deathly allergic to Wasp stings.

I hope, Benntexas, that in addition to your pressure sprayer, you also keep your epi-pen at arms' reach as well if you are so allergic to wasp stings. My son is allergic to bee stings and I've taken the "hit" for him many times. We'll be driving along minding our own business when he'll holler BEE! and I will pull over, get him and the rest of the family out of the car, and tend to the bee myself. Usually we both come out winners, but on occasion I get stung and it gets dead.
So long as my son doesn't get stung I can live with that.
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

Benntexas
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of bug repellent,, I am deathly allergic to Wasp stings. I keep a pressure sprayer by my outside chair.. in my quart size one,, I put in about 3 tablespoons of plain ole dish washing liquid and fill with water.. pump it up and I simply squirt any wasp that come around.. Doesn't kill them but they can't fly, then you can stomp them.. Non toxic and won't hurt if you accidentally squirt your buddy. Don't spray it on any fancy plants,, don't do them any good at all.

Something along this line.. http://www.nextag.com/Solo-One-Hand-Sprayer-83385533/prices-html?nxtg=6ba00a1c0535-AA9D8E624C2D53DD I find good ones at places that cater to horses , and Tractor Supply.

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
I found the best thing for hanging lights on awning is the plastic holders used to clip on name tags. They have a clip on one end (use this to clip on awning) and a plastic strap on other end with a snap (use this to go around light strand and keep them there all the time) Works great for us and you can get those in packages in office supply at Walmart. I also have used them to hang many other things.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
crazyoldcoot wrote:

Went to Office Depot and got a box of these. Great for hanging awning lights.

Genius! We have something similar, but yours I'm sure were cheaper. sigh

Lucy
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifth wheel has slideouts on both sides and since we often overnight in pulloffs and have to have the slides out to do it, I have put some DOT red and white reflective tape on the lower edge of the slideout exterior on the front and rear so that any vehicle coming into the pulloff can see that our slides are out and avoid hitting us. In addtion, I also put out a red warning triangle on the groud in front and behind the road side slideout as an extra precaution. The reflective tape sticks very well and I have seen no evidence of the rubber peeling it away.
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

RoadWarriors2
Explorer
Explorer
I actually saw strollers for small dogs on our road trip this w/e. Pups were screened in and another person in the group rolled his dog in a screened case like a small garment bag.
Tony & Maria :B

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH
Cat C7
Freightliner
Allison 3000
Jeep Liberty

Viet Nam Vet 66-67, 173rd Assault Helicopter Crew Chief - "Robin Hoods"

Travel Blog: www.roadwarriors2.blogspot.com

Another day, another 100,000 brain cells gone........

NuviFamily
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. We just bought our first MH, so I have read this thread . . . all 82 pages of it, and it has been great.

Glad I stuck with it . . . the Port-a-crate posted in the last page was a great solution for our 4 legged family member. I ordered one today!

Funny, but one of the things that I am happiest about is that with a MH, we can take Buddy with us. I hated leaving him behind with family when we were vacationing.

Thanks again everyone. (BUMP)
Kristin

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't traveled with pets yet, but with four dogs and three cats I expect that some day it will happen.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."