cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
The foam could sure increase my camping season. It gets darn chilly here in Alaska in September and October sometimes.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
We used that type foam to line the under-bed areas of our TT, that's where our outside storage is. Even with the seals around the baggage doors we could feel cold air coming in so we took the bed supports off, just plywood,so we could get to the area. Then we cut the foam to fit. It sure helped cut off cold drafts on our feet plus I'm sure it made the furnace/air-conditioner more efficient.

We use the foil bubble wrap over the windows, they too are easy to store, I just cut to fit, put duct tape around the edges, then used heavy duty Velcro to hold on the metal window frames. Only problem I'm having with that is in our summer heat the sticky holding the Velcro on comes loose from the window frames! Don't know what to do about it. Other than that I've been very pleased, keeps light and heat/cold out, depending on season of course!

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
That foam is a GREAT idea.

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

302suawdust
Explorer
Explorer
tpguy1 wrote:
MechanicalNut wrote:
tpguy1 wrote:
We hate to cook when camping, so we always go for a walk at dinner time and stop by other campers until we get invited to eat with them.

In 7 years we have only cooked 2 meals.

Hope this helps

I surprised you put that statement in writing for the entire planet to read. I hope you were kidding.

Gosh, I was taught it isn't polite to visit when folks are having dinner. Times sure have changed

I must admit I would take a beer if offered though.

Tom

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek :B

True story,
A couple of years ago we were camping in a campground in a small city. Just as we were finishing our supper a dirty shabby beat up looking guy came and sat right down at our picnic table. He made it quite clear that he was not going to leave until he got supper. My wife took the kids inside the trailer and I got up to do something about the situation. My large axe was leaning against the trailer and I glanced at it contemplating that if I had it in my hand it may be a little easier to convince him to leave and let us get on with our evening. I am sure he noticed where I was looking as he suddenly seemed to get shifty and loose quite a bit of his confidence. The truth of it is when I saw that change in his attitude I had a change in mine. To make a long story short I fed him a good steak supper and a big slab of pie for desert. We had a bit of a chat while he ate. I explained to him that I had mixed feelings about what I was doing as I did not want to encourage him to continue to do this as sooner or latter it would end badly for someone. Weather or not he listened to me I will never know. When he left my wife sent him with a small paper lunch bag of food that contained some non perishable items for the next day or so. The next morning I found the lunch bag (empty) under the wiper of my truck with the words โ€œIโ€™m sorry if I scared your kidsโ€ and signed Jimโ€ฆ.. He never told me his name the previous night. I still wonder if I should have just sent him on his way as I worry about how other campers may react if he pulled the same stuntโ€ฆ.. It did feel good to feed a hungry person though.

Ian

RV_my_private_j
Explorer
Explorer
When it gets real cold or hot for that matter I bought some 2" thick sheets of foam insulation (weighs nothing and only costs about $4 for a large sheet) and cut them to size to fit over the windows. I use 2 small pieces of velcro around the edge of the window frame and on the insulation (it is so light that is all it requires to hold it in place even while traveling). I can easily remove them and store anywhere since they are flat. It mounts to the inside of the window and then I pull the curtains over it. It really helps keep the weather out and maintain the temperature inside the rig and as an added bonus blocks out almost all of the outside lights at night.
Here is a pic of the sheets. I suppose you could cover them with fabric or pillowcases to make them "pretty".

"...sometimes your the pigeon, other times the statue."

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of walking around and eating other peoples' food....Now, if we take that one more step...
You can carry a towel when you walk around so you can eat dinner, take a shower and use their toilet... This means, when you set up camp, no water to hook-up, no gray/black water tanks to empty on the way out and no LP use..I like it...;)

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Rv-Bella
Explorer
Explorer
A Quick hint that was passed on to me. I remembered it, just the other day when I had a squished bug stuck to my windshield. I was told to use a wet/soapy scrap of indoor outdoor carpet to clean the bugs off the front of the rv, front bumper of the truck, windshield, etc. It works with out a lot of scrubbing, or scratching.

As for the fur babies licking popsicle, I am with you MechanicalNut my Dh has taught ours to eat ice cream from a spoon............. ewwwww! LOL

As for letting them eat from the plate, I am not so freaky about it, cause I look at it this way. I am not eating after them, and I am going to wash the plate. They probably should be more worried about eating after us! Bella

MechanicalNut
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
Its not just strangers.......we were invited to have dinner with a couple we have known for a few years. When we finished, they took the plates and set them on the floor for the two chihuahua's to lick "clean". I almost gagged. Makes you wonder about the food you eat at pot lucks.

I had to laugh out loud, not at you but with you.

My darling wife will share her popsicle with our dog. She has taught the dog not to bite the popsicle, but to lick it! Yuk!

Tom
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport with all the options
Prodigy BC
2006 Nash 26x
1200# Equalizer Hitch
2007 Kipor KGE 3500TI Genny
DW: (Reunited Teenage Sweethearts)
DS: 13 yo (baseball fanatic)
Man's Best Friend: 50 lbs of love and joy aka "Daddy's little helper"

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Our van doesn't have round closet rods for hanging clothes. It has a rail and then there are little holes for the hangers. It's pretty small and the clothes are often pushed together closely.

So I purchased some of these Hangers with slots . We tried them for the first time over the weekend and they worked great. It was very easy to reach our clothes and to rehang.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

tpguy1
Explorer
Explorer
MechanicalNut wrote:
tpguy1 wrote:
We hate to cook when camping, so we always go for a walk at dinner time and stop by other campers until we get invited to eat with them.

Hope this helps

I surprised you put that statement in writing for the entire planet to read. I hope you were kidding.

Gosh, I was taught it isn't polite to visit when folks are having dinner. Times sure have changed

Tom

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek :B
I sell toilet paper, when business is crappy, I'm happy!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whoops
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of those Scrubbing Bubbles automatic shower cleaners. No squeegee, no spraying, no wiping at all. Just hit the button on my way out and it's done. I hung it on the aluminum upright at the corner of the shower rather than the shower head, but anyplace that hits the whole shower is fine.

A little mister bottle like the kid you use for hairstyling has windex in it. Paper towels live under the sink next to the tp. The mirrors and other surfaces get hit without a second thought whenever I happen to be in there. (Window cleaner kills insects and germs nicely, too.) MAYBE once a month I'll go in there and detail it. Nothing more is needed.
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Its not just strangers.......we were invited to have dinner with a couple we have known for a few years. When we finished, they took the plates and set them on the floor for the two chihuahua's to lick "clean". I almost gagged. Makes you wonder about the food you eat at pot lucks.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

whanner
Explorer
Explorer
I would be afraid to eat from strangers.:-)
06' Ford F-350 Power Stroke 6.0L
07' Forest River Sierra 375 QBQ
Wife and 2 Kids

MechanicalNut
Explorer
Explorer
tpguy1 wrote:

Hope this helps

Tom
2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport with all the options
Prodigy BC
2006 Nash 26x
1200# Equalizer Hitch
2007 Kipor KGE 3500TI Genny
DW: (Reunited Teenage Sweethearts)
DS: 13 yo (baseball fanatic)
Man's Best Friend: 50 lbs of love and joy aka "Daddy's little helper"