cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
I was on one of my many horse-camping trips with a motor home we had a long time ago. While I was out riding, a line came loose or blew, and all the water was pumped out of my tank and the pump burned up. It was a snooty all ladies ride but they let my husband come and replace my pump and the line. Fortunately, the location of the break in the line, or where it came loose, allowed the water to flow mostly to the outside so no damage. Maybe pumps are different now but that has been my experience. We totally dry camped on those rides.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a leak and the pump is on it will keep pumping water into whatever. It is always a good idea to shut off the water pump when you are not in the motorhome - especially if you will be gone for a long time.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
vgoulette wrote:
I would often forget to turn off the water pump when stopped for a quick potty-break, so had DH attach a small Command hook next to water pump switch. I then hung my TT keys to it when stopped for potty-break. Now, we have a 5er, and that was one of the first mods we did to it. I have never forgotten to turn off the water pump since.

Why do you need to turn the pump off? Do you have a leak?
Lee

vgoulette
Explorer
Explorer
I would often forget to turn off the water pump when stopped for a quick potty-break, so had DH attach a small Command hook next to water pump switch. I then hung my TT keys to it when stopped for potty-break. Now, we have a 5er, and that was one of the first mods we did to it. I have never forgotten to turn off the water pump since.

katmat46
Explorer
Explorer
love this thread!! were are new as in have motorhome in driveway but havnt used it.but lots of good ideas. one thing i saw somewhere was to put the width and height of it on a sticker on the dash so driver will know at all times.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
bertnspike, that sounds like a great idea!

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
This hasn't been bumped for awhile. It really is a must-see for newbies. One tip I've gleaned from here that I love is using the big mirror in the living area for a white board with dry-erase markers. Post-its also stick very well to the mirror. With a little Command hanging bin on the wall next to it for the markers, Post-its, and eraser, it's a complete message and notice center. In my MH, there's just enough room next to the mirror for a calendar and I've attached my little time/date/temp unit to the wall below the calendar with Command adhesive strips. My whole world! lol

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
JayWalker2009 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
wilpower wrote:
I bet tomman58 is talking about THESE

You bet, those are them! We have been disappointed in prior trailers as to the sinks and these mats real aid in keeping them looking good.

I am not sure what they offer today but from what we've seen at RV shows it is more of the same.

We have superior sinks at our homes but they are really heavy and most likely not offered. Stainless steel sucks and looks beat up after a year or two.

We are looking at a new Jayco but most likely the same sink soo more mats.

My RV sink is white plastic...as probably many are, so yea, i take great care trying not to scratch it ... this looks like a good alternative. Question, the pic posted in the prior link. it looks like it is countoured and molded to fit a larger sink and kind of a harder plastic, is that the kind you use and you were able to cut it? I was thinking maybe you had the 'non' countoured type as that might be more pliable and easily cut/trimmed? If not, what did you cut it with? I know you said you used a hole saw for the center, but did a simple pair of scissors work to trim the exterior to size?

I am sure you can cut then with just a sharp knife as they are a very soft plastic. I sized them with my radial arm saw (way overkill but worked great)
These conture to the bottom of your sink nicely.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

MacGyverTX
Explorer
Explorer

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
wilpower wrote:

You bet, those are them! We have been disappointed in prior trailers as to the sinks and these mats real aid in keeping them looking good.

I am not sure what they offer today but from what we've seen at RV shows it is more of the same.

We have superior sinks at our homes but they are really heavy and most likely not offered. Stainless steel sucks and looks beat up after a year or two.

My RV sink is white plastic...as probably many are, so yea, i take great care trying not to scratch it ... this looks like a good alternative. Question, the pic posted in the prior link. it looks like it is countoured and molded to fit a larger sink and kind of a harder plastic, is that the kind you use and you were able to cut it? I was thinking maybe you had the 'non' countoured type as that might be more pliable and easily cut/trimmed? If not, what did you cut it with? I know you said you used a hole saw for the center, but did a simple pair of scissors work to trim the exterior to size?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
wilpower wrote:

2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry no pic presently.
These are mats that you put in the bottom of a sink at home. They are fairly large for a trailer sink. They are made of the same stuff as a shower mat.
I had to cut them down and then I used a hole saw (an electrical trade saw for holes.
The mats are clear and have square holes in them.
Hope this helps
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
We found some sink liners at BB&B and I cut them down to fit our double sink. I also cut round holes where the drains were. All this was done because the plastic sinks in the trailers are very susceptible to scratching.
I can say that they have worked fine now for three years and the bottom of the sink looks like new.

Can you provide a picture or a link? I went to BB&B's website and didn't find anything like you are describing.
Jeannie

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We found some sink liners at BB&B and I cut them down to fit our double sink. I also cut round holes where the drains were. All this was done because the plastic sinks in the trailers are very susceptible to scratching.
I can say that they have worked fine now for three years and the bottom of the sink looks like new.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i