cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
We store the panes behind our toilet. We took the top one off this past weekend and left the bottom one on. We were near the coast and it let me get some fresh air circulating without losing the warm air inside.

I don't know what the tension pieces are actually called. I call them the holder on thingies. I will find out. The glass shop is close to where I work.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you store them if you are camping and want to take them off?
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
stfnwuf wrote:
I was wanting some type of "storm door" for our trailer and so I took our screen door to a local window company to see what they could do. I now have two inserts of 1/4" plexiglass. It sets inside the frame of the door and has a tension piece that holds the plexi in place. The panels are removeable if we wish to allow air to flow through the screen door. I think the only thing I would have done different is that I would have gotten 1/8" plexi instead. The 1/4" is pretty heavy. But, I know the people at the glass shop and was going with their recommnedation. Besides, I got the 1/4" for the 1/8" price. Overall, I am happy with the results.

I would like to do the same thing, and I like "tension piece" that holds the plexi in place ... it would make it easier to remove them. What are they called? If I were try to find them what would I ask for?
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
I recently did the same thing. I just bought some pieces cut to order at my local ACE hardware. My door has slots inside it where I just slip it in the slots to hold it firmly in place. I like the strips that hold yours as it would make it easier to remove them. What did they call them? I can only assume it is an window industry item.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
I was wanting some type of "storm door" for our trailer and so I took our screen door to a local window company to see what they could do. I now have two inserts of 1/4" plexiglass. It sets inside the frame of the door and has a tension piece that holds the plexi in place. The panels are removeable if we wish to allow air to flow through the screen door. I think the only thing I would have done different is that I would have gotten 1/8" plexi instead. The 1/4" is pretty heavy. But, I know the people at the glass shop and was going with their recommnedation. Besides, I got the 1/4" for the 1/8" price. Overall, I am happy with the results.

2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a lamp post / flag holder that my husband made for me. The post is made with 3/4" PVC and the base is an umbrella holder. The arm with the license plates is 1/2" PVC and the arm that holds the flag is a wood dowel. The flag wouldn't fit over the PVC so we had to use the dowel. The unit is painted with special paint for plastic. Any easy way to personalize out space without the hassle of trying to get something in the ground.

2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
HI, just a few quick things we do... we use clothespins to keep the chip package closed~ works great. We collect reading materials (free handouts ) at camp office, read and then use for fire starter. Try to remember to drag chairs under awning at night so dew/moisture stays off them. Our Sunline bathroom is quite small and we never seem to have enough room to "change" in after shower, so we use large 'clamps" and hang a sheet across from bedroom cabinets to kitchen cabinet door, to make a little changing room. After using a paper towel to dry hands.. we hang it out and again, use for fire starter.. we have a small bag in corner of "paper" trash.
Again, just a few things.. that might help some fellow camper.. keep the ideas coming !!
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
If you go into preferences, there's a setting for number of posts per page. You can choose either 10 or 20. I have mine set at 10. I would guess yours is set at 20.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

livingaboard
Explorer
Explorer
Why do I only see 84 pages? I went into my settings and did not see anything there to display all 168 pages
Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no! Didn't think of writing this stuff down making a "to do" list. I was just hoping to remember the best ones when the time comes that I have a better RV. Now I'm going to have to go back and write stuff down. Reading all 168 pages and taking notes will take all weekend, if not longer. ๐Ÿ™‚
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished all 168 pages. You guys have some great ideas. Looking forward to getting started on my page full of "to do" notes. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 2 of the Stanley fans mentioned below and love them. We got ours at Wally world, I have seen a blue version of them at Sam's Club. About $50.00 each.

paulb4333 wrote:
Regarding outdoor fans. Sorry I should have posted a link in the original post.

I paid $39.00 at Lowes,though it's now $49 and here is the exact fan;
Lowes
Check out the reviews as well...I
ve posted a few.... It really does move a lot of air quietly.

This one is very similar at Home Depot, and is $49
Stanley Fan

Good luck.

Paul

Reviews from Lowe's site
Message from Three Sisters from Mississippi and Texas - Jun 18, 2010
Review:

A wonderful little fan. We bought three last night when our a/c went out and ran all three all night. Unbelievable the amount of air it puts out. We returned a large tower fan because the little one outperformed the larger tower.

very powerful fan
Message from Eevilbob from Fresno Ca. - Jun 8, 2010
Review:

this is small and works like a champ. I keep it blowin on me while i'm asleep. I had to set it to the lowest setting cuz it really kicks out some air. I will be recomending this powerful wind machine to everyone. If your looking for some serious air circulation. this is definatly the fan your looking for

Message from Keith from Highland, California - Sep 5, 2009
Review:

This is the best fan I have ever owned. It really pushes the air around. Light, compact, and the ability to direct the air up makes a big difference with our vaulted ceiling. I am going to buy a second one tomorrow.

Best fan ever
Message from docwood from carson - Aug 24, 2009
Review:

My girlfriend and I love it. The most effective fan I ever owned.

moving the air
Message from mccain from orlando fl - Jun 22, 2009
Review:

this is an amazing product it moves some serious air!
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding outdoor fans. Sorry I should have posted a link in the original post.

I paid $39.00 at Lowes,though it's now $49 and here is the exact fan;
Lowes
Check out the reviews as well...I
ve posted a few.... It really does move a lot of air quietly.

This one is very similar at Home Depot, and is $49
Stanley Fan

Good luck.

Paul

Reviews from Lowe's site
Message from Three Sisters from Mississippi and Texas - Jun 18, 2010
Review:

A wonderful little fan. We bought three last night when our a/c went out and ran all three all night. Unbelievable the amount of air it puts out. We returned a large tower fan because the little one outperformed the larger tower.

very powerful fan
Message from Eevilbob from Fresno Ca. - Jun 8, 2010
Review:

this is small and works like a champ. I keep it blowin on me while i'm asleep. I had to set it to the lowest setting cuz it really kicks out some air. I will be recomending this powerful wind machine to everyone. If your looking for some serious air circulation. this is definatly the fan your looking for

Message from Keith from Highland, California - Sep 5, 2009
Review:

This is the best fan I have ever owned. It really pushes the air around. Light, compact, and the ability to direct the air up makes a big difference with our vaulted ceiling. I am going to buy a second one tomorrow.

Best fan ever
Message from docwood from carson - Aug 24, 2009
Review:

My girlfriend and I love it. The most effective fan I ever owned.

moving the air
Message from mccain from orlando fl - Jun 22, 2009
Review:

this is an amazing product it moves some serious air!
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Denise in Ark wrote:
jagco wrote:
paulb4333, could you post a link to what kind of fan you are talking about? I went to Lowes web site, and squirrel fan got no results. Floor fan brought up 77 results. One was a fan that I really don't think is what you are talking about. The other results were, oddly enough, floor lamps.

I think these might be what they were talking about. Sam's has them, too.floor drying fans

Wow - least expensive is $142. :R
You could buy a window A/C for about $100. (with remote) and set it on a table, LOL! :W

Hope there *are* others (fans).

~

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
jagco wrote:
paulb4333, could you post a link to what kind of fan you are talking about? I went to Lowes web site, and squirrel fan got no results. Floor fan brought up 77 results. One was a fan that I really don't think is what you are talking about. The other results were, oddly enough, floor lamps.

I think these might be what they were talking about. Sam's has them, too.floor drying fans