cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

sandy43
Explorer
Explorer
My spelling has a lot to be desired. Drop "e" off of luge, and I think most will get the idea. Thanks

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
". . . luge bolts loosening and . . "

Saw the above and figured sandy43 was a sled (luge) competitior. :h

Or - maybe it was a "typo" and he meant "huge" (as in: large) bolts. :?

Ahhhhhh . . . read on - Good plan for the lug nuts! :S

~

sandy43
Explorer
Explorer
I've read most of these tips, some are really helpful. I got one to add that's been rather helpful when traveling.

A concern I've always had was luge bolts loosening and creating a little havoc on the highway. This happened to me once pulling a stock trailer and caught in time before I lost my wheel. Everything was torqued good, but it still managed to loosen-up. What I do now, draw a straight line on the luge nut or luge cap with a Sharpie pen, all the same direction. When I stop to check things over, I make sure all the drawn lines are in the same direction, which tells me that all the luge bolts are tight.

Bob_and_Teresa
Explorer
Explorer
Bump
Bob n Teresa
2004 Grand Surveyor GS 260
Ford F-150 5.4l reese wd reese sway bar

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
My sister needed a step for her class "C" so when I was at our local thrift store and saw several of those step exercizers I bought her one for the huge price of $4.00!!! She loves it.

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
crazyoldcoot wrote:
Your step is more High Tech than ours. I just built a 2ft. square out of 2x4s on edge and covered it with 1/2 inch ply board.Perfect for the Welcome mat and when traveling we turn it upside down. Makes a great place to keep the tacky lights and clips and other small items.

multipurpose, perfect...
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
Your step is more High Tech than ours. I just built a 2ft. square out of 2x4s on edge and covered it with 1/2 inch ply board.Perfect for the Welcome mat and when traveling we turn it upside down. Makes a great place to keep the tacky lights and clips and other small items.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Compliments to all the posters!
Thanx - Keep 'em coming.

~

Here's a contribution.
I have a 5th wheel. "Standard" three step entry. Sometimes
a fourth would be nice - (wife has minor foot disability) but sometimes three is/was fine depending on the site.

Tried various step stools.
Not really the answer - too small, not study enough, etc.
So, was considering changing out the 3-step to a four step.
But "problem" solved.
Happened across a display of Jack LaLane aerobic work-out steps in an aisle at Wally. Light bulb flashed!

Good size - it's about 2' square, sturdy plastic - about 6" high -
with stow-away (removable) legs that can be added to raise it to approx 10".

Stows nicely under the table - easy to clean, etc.
Maybe still find it at Wally or the less expensive sporting goods stores, Big Lots, etc. Think it would be a close-out item, maybe other brands available also.

And, if I want an aerobic workout . . . . .

~

JC

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
More of an 'idea' than a 'item', and probably only usable by a few folks here... My '06 Tiger's water heater is a manual-ignition 3 gallon LP-only Suburban unit. I've found that it produces plenty of hot water for one, and probably two, 'sea showers' just by lighting the pilot light for a few hours... the main burner is only needed for quicker or more hot water. This also provides lower-cost overnight protection for it in sub-freezing weather.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Thanks for the tip.

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Speaking of thermometers, we've added a Chaney dual remote refrigerator/freezer temp monitor to our rig. It shows the current temps and the min and max temps for each section, and has settable alarms that will alert you if a section gets too warm or cold.

Chaney Instrument 00985 Wireless Refrigerator Freezer Thermometer

We got this from our Granddaughter as a Christmas gift 2 years ago and it truly came in handy during this past summer when our Norcold fridge began to really act up. I highly recommend it!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, We noticed, too, when we were having some trouble with our hot water heater, that we could get along without it quite easily. LP lasts for weeks if you are only using it to cook.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

bercher
Explorer
Explorer
Great Info!

Thanks!
2010 Open Range 385RLS
2009 Chevy Durmax/Allison 2500HD Ext Cab
PullRite SuperGlide 18k

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
More of an 'idea' than a 'item', and probably only usable by a few folks here... My '06 Tiger's water heater is a manual-ignition 3 gallon LP-only Suburban unit. I've found that it produces plenty of hot water for one, and probably two, 'sea showers' just by lighting the pilot light for a few hours... the main burner is only needed for quicker or more hot water. This also provides lower-cost overnight protection for it in sub-freezing weather.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speaking of thermometers, we've added a Chaney dual remote refrigerator/freezer temp monitor to our rig. It shows the current temps and the min and max temps for each section, and has settable alarms that will alert you if a section gets too warm or cold.

Chaney Instrument 00985 Wireless Refrigerator Freezer Thermometer

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Videoguy wrote:
I came across an inexpensive wireless remote thermometer at WalMart. Yes I know wireless remote units have been available for quite a while. But all I wanted was temperature, didn't need all the information a lot of them gave you. (I have the Weather Channel for that other stuff) This unit is by Accu Rite and sells for $9.98, consists of a sensor and a receiver with a digital display of inside and outside temps. Both are receiving just fine. Now when I have to get up first thing in the morning to walk the dogs I have an idea of what to wear just by glancing at the thermometer in the bedroom. Same thing goes at night for their last walk of the day.

I recently bought a tire pressure monitoring system. TST It also gives temp readings. The receiver is battery operated, and I just take it out of the truck and put it in the camper at night to recharge. Gives a pretty accurate temp reading.

I've always been worried about the trailer tires losing pressure and not knowing it. Now I don't worry about it. I have the low-pressure limits set in the monitor, and it will beep and flash if any tire drops pressure. And I no longer have to go around to every tire to check the pressure before going on a trip, I just use the monitor while I am eating my breakfast. :C
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com