cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Stewart_H
Explorer
Explorer
rocknrollpro wrote:
Who do we have to talk to, to get this made as a thread?

You mean a "sticky".

By it's very nature, when it was first created, it was a thread.

Stewart
2000 7.3L PSD Excursion 4x4
- AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4", DP Tuner F5 chip, B & V code spring upgrade, Bilsteins & Hellwig rear sway.

1999 5.4L SVT Lightning
- Tons of mods. It's my really fast work truck! ๐Ÿ˜‰

2007 26FK Wildwood by Forest River

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Who do we have to talk to, to get this made as a thread?
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Let's bump again!

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
This may be "old hat" to some but we do NOT have any dishes in the 5th wheel. We have regular paper plates ( use shiny plastic coated ones for "fancy" dinners) and then use the woven straw supports under them. That way we can be REALLY cheap and buy the thin ones and they wont collapse since the straw actually bears the weight of the food. When done, just chuck 'em. But then. all you guys already know all that.

I also have doggie tie down screws that I use to hold the awning rails tight when the wind is blowing. I use heavy springs between the tie down and the ropes to absorb the shocks of the wind gusts. When you unscrew them from the ground the holes are not noticeable either.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

mehardy
Explorer
Explorer
Several extra layers of wax on the front of the fifth wheel and the truck make for easier bug removal after a trip. I tried a new product by TurtleWax called ICE and it is working great. It is for use on painted metal as well as all the plastic/vinyl,rubber on vehicles and RV's. It does not leave a white residue .

Who has a hint or gizmo for keeping your awning away from the door? Mine rubs even when I raise the awning as high as it will go. The door has rounded corners. THANKS!
Mike, Shirley, Vader the Lab and Harper the ShihZu

2007 Toyota Tundra
2007 Coachman Chaparral Fifth Wheel

mtnchild
Explorer
Explorer
I like the gadget that has a hook on the end for turning steaks or pork chops. Makes it easier than fighting to get the meat off the B-B-Q fork.
"I live in my own little world, but that's OK, they know me here"
95% Boondocking, 5% campgrounds
1977 GMC Camper Special 4x4
1990 Lance Squire 2500 8.6
1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
1999 Kawasaki Prairie 400

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
I used individual silverware trays found at a dollar store for the narrow medicine cabinet in our TT. Nothing falls out anymore and I can take out the whole tray to search for smaller items that are otherwise lost.

coolcamp
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound silly but it helps us when camping in an area with many other RVer's. I've got two little girls and eventhough they aren't allowed very far from the campsite on one occasion the youngest had a hard time finding here way back to our "white box". I took two pieces of 2' long orange nylon straping and attached it to our tv antenna. When the antenna is raised the straps make the trailer stand out in a crowd and can be seen from quite a distance. It also serves as a reminder to lower the antenna when breaking camp.

GailS
Explorer
Explorer
The "Today's Special Value" on QVC is a 10 piece collapsible silicone kitchen gadget set. Looks interesting for RV owners since we don't have a lot of storage space. Today only at this price.

Gail

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still considering the flat colander. When they were first offered on tv, there were 2 in an order. Walmart has them individually now.
Kathy :B

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We were discussing these items in the CVC (Camping Can Conversions) forum and I thought I would post them here, too:

Fold Flat Colander

Over the Cabinet Door Towel Rack

Happy Travels!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

cruiserfolks
Explorer
Explorer
Jim - you can update the maps on this Garmin - very handy. We bought ours online, but they have them at Walmart.

And we're too new at this to know anything about any of the Texas RV clubs. We're in Paris - not much happening RV-wise up this way, I don't think! Please PM us if you know of something close to us!
The Reeds
Northeast Texas
Absolute Newbies in O'Malley, our 1999 Forest River Georgetown
DH, DW, 2 Crimson Tide YAs and a 13 yr. old Golden Retriever

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Cruiser,

Can you update the maps in that one? I have had a Garmin eMap for a few years, fun to play with, but, not for getting around the U.S. Are you in any of the Texas RV Clubs?

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Candice
Explorer
Explorer
Another way to turn the crank knob on your ceiling vent is to grab your cooking tongs and use them to turn the knob. Works great for me. I am just about 5 foot tall, so I can not reach the high ones at all.

cruiserfolks
Explorer
Explorer
Jim -

The Garmin is great. We have one of the more basic models (StreetPilot c330), but it does everything we need. DH likes that he can ask me to type in the name of a business and it will give turn by turn voice directions, and I like that it shows where all the Starbucks are!
The Reeds
Northeast Texas
Absolute Newbies in O'Malley, our 1999 Forest River Georgetown
DH, DW, 2 Crimson Tide YAs and a 13 yr. old Golden Retriever