cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
And steel wouldn't bend as much as aluminum. And I too think this should be made a sticky.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Real cowpokes don't use zip ties or stainless clamps on their bumper-mounted hose storage. It took me about 15 minutes to make these:

I know the question will come up, here's the recipe: top and bottom plate from 1/8" aluminum plate, 3/8" threaded rod, aluminum tube to hide threaded rod. Rustoleum Universal spray paint.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing as this thread has been going since 2006, don't you think it should get a sticky. Six years is a very long time for a post to live. I know people can do a search for it or save it to "my forums", but what about the people who are new to RV.net? Don't you think they should have a chance to read it. I know when I first started on here,I don't think I would of did a search for this topic. I found it because it was here.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
ok
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please do not bump this thread......it is easily found by doing a search......

All "bumps' will be deleted.
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I finished reading everything from 2007-2012...oh my, the information and notes...yes, it took an hour a day (skipped a few days) for a couple of weeks. I loved most of the suggestions. I have a small RT (170) so I need to be organized and pack light. Keep those suggestions coming and I'll contribute as I use Vanna more! ๐Ÿ™‚ Marsha

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
sh4717 wrote:
louiskathy wrote:
sh4717 wrote:
Your suitcase idea has me thinking......

I always struggle with the tupperware container I use for my dump hoses and attachments, but a hard-sided suitcase might work better. Might be hard to keep dry and/or clean though....

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Zip Lock makes a XXXL size heavy duty bag. Big enough to put all your hoses into. Sturdy, flexible, see thru and cheap enough to pitch when it gets too ugly. Lowes or Menards or Home Depot will have them.

Thanks! Didn't know about the bags

A few pages back, a person suggested the plastic bags from new blankets, sheets, etc. Sounds good. I use the plastic grippers for hoses and electrical. Wonderful plus "air dry".

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to use the zip ties because they are plastic and subject to breaking in the cold and from vibration. I also wanted mine hidden from view, so mine is raised up to the point you don't notice it.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
LTCLarry wrote:
popeye59 wrote:
LTCLarry wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Dump the zip ties for some good old fashioned stainless hose clamps. The kind you tighten with a screwdriver.
Why?

Because the non-UV rated zip ties deteriorate relatively quickly, whereas the UV rated ones (which come in many colors besides black), last much longer.
I used UV rated ties. Picked them up at Consolidated Electric. Is there another reason?

Even the UV rated ties are only UV resistant, not UV proof. They still will eventually fail, probably sooner than you think (I'm speaking from experience here). You have a several thousand dollar RV (probably tens of thousands)yet you want to cheap out and use the zip ties? The stainless hose clamps are stronger and pretty much last forever.
Jeannie

RonBoyd
Explorer
Explorer
I used UV rated ties. Picked them up at Consolidated Electric. Is there another reason?

Why not simply use Stainless Steel Wire Ties? You can get them at Gallant & Company - http://www.electricalwireties.com/
2008 Roadtrek 210 Versatile

LTCLarry
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
LTCLarry wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Dump the zip ties for some good old fashioned stainless hose clamps. The kind you tighten with a screwdriver.
Why?

Because the non-UV rated zip ties deteriorate relatively quickly, whereas the UV rated ones (which come in many colors besides black), last much longer.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
LTCLarry wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Why?

Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
LTCLarry wrote:
DE88ROX wrote:
Why?
Most zip ties will dry out & become brittle with prolonged exposure to the sun/ozone.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

LTCLarry
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
Why?

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb