cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I use a "T" pin for the TP & paper towels.,
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I have read many suggestions on how to keep toilet paper or paper towels from unrolling while traveling. Here is what I do:
I take a straight pin with a colored head and stick it in the the last sheet showing on the roll. The colored head helps locate it when we arrive. To keep track of the pin, I slide it in the side of the roll, parallel to the sheets, near the cardboard tube. Stays in place there until we travel again. Works every time.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

RoadWarriors2
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I have read many suggestions on how to keep toilet paper or paper towels from unrolling while traveling. Here is what I do:
I take a straight pin with a colored head and stick it in the the last sheet showing on the roll. The colored head helps locate it when we arrive. To keep track of the pin, I slide it in the side of the roll, parallel to the sheets, near the cardboard tube. Stays in place there until we travel again. Works every time.

I think it was on this forum that I read that VIVA towels do not unroll. It's true, and that's all we use now....no need for pins ๐Ÿ™‚
Tony & Maria :B

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH
Cat C7
Freightliner
Allison 3000
Jeep Liberty

Viet Nam Vet 66-67, 173rd Assault Helicopter Crew Chief - "Robin Hoods"

Travel Blog: www.roadwarriors2.blogspot.com

Another day, another 100,000 brain cells gone........

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Of course. Why didn't I think of that. ๐Ÿ™‚ Great idea. Thank you.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
good idea!! Thanks My DH always complains about the pins he finds all over the house from my sewing.....ROL - wait till he finds this one in the TP!!!!!!!!!! ROLMAO!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
Finding right key for RV in the dark can be easy if you use a small file and notch top of key. I used one notch for passage lock and two for deadbolt. Now I can find the right key and get it rightside up with my eyes closed.

I just put my keys on my keyring in an order I can remember. The truck key is largest and the fob goes alongside it so I can tell in the dark which way to go around the key ring.

All one has to do is feel the notches already on the key to know which way is up.
Jeannie

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
Finding right key for RV in the dark can be easy if you use a small file and notch top of key. I used one notch for passage lock and two for deadbolt. Now I can find the right key and get it rightside up with my eyes closed.

Brilliant!

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:

I do that for the gate key at work. Not sure why I never thought about doing that for the trailer keys.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

bullmastifflove
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
bullmastifflover wrote:
Found this CGear Mat developed for the Australian govt to keep under helicopters to resist sand kicking back. The reviews on Amazon were pretty good, but what really sold me was the video (included in the link below). Only problem, we haven't had a chance to use it.
http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/how-it-works

How well does it work if there is water that comes in contact with it? I'd be willing to bet the unique sand free properties are thrown out the window. Most all places I go where there is sand usually involves being wet in some form.

I would agree the mat looks very intriguing just that I do not think it would would for me even though I would like for something like that to work. I just end up using my outdoor shower to wash feet off, towel dry and no shoes inside coach.

I did read a review on Amazon where someone said that it didn't work well with wet sand. We got the 10x10 mat in green & blue...I'll let you guys know how it works once we use it.
2001 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4
2002 Thor Tahoe Transport 33TB
2004 2332 VW sandrail, 4 seat, long travel
1993 Grumman 14' fishing boat

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our shower was dark with the curtain closed and I had a 3" LED puck light laying around. I removed one of the screws holding the skylight trim and ran the screw through the removable base of the puck light. I did not trust the double sided tape in the shower/over my head. Plenty of light, won't fall, no new holes.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
bullmastifflover wrote:
Found this CGear Mat developed for the Australian govt to keep under helicopters to resist sand kicking back. The reviews on Amazon were pretty good, but what really sold me was the video (included in the link below). Only problem, we haven't had a chance to use it.
http://www.cgear-sandfree.com/how-it-works

How well does it work if there is water that comes in contact with it? I'd be willing to bet the unique sand free properties are thrown out the window. Most all places I go where there is sand usually involves being wet in some form.

I would agree the mat looks very intriguing just that I do not think it would would for me even though I would like for something like that to work. I just end up using my outdoor shower to wash feet off, towel dry and no shoes inside coach.
I love me some land yachting

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
JayWalker2009 wrote:
wolfcat1 wrote:
Not an idea, but a question...What can be done to stop tracking in sand and dirt in to your coach...we camp in an area that has a lot of fine white sand, between us and the gurls, our two fur babies, we are constantly sweeping...
thnks, wolfie

The only thing I have found that works for this scenario is taking the shoes off at the steps before coming in. And that usually works since we mostly are wearing flip flops all camping season.

Shoes off,works the best for us.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... I went to their site, as well as Amazon and the biggest I saw was 6.5 x 6.5. 10x10 could work.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
Sounds pretty cool but wish they were available in sizes larger than 6-1/2' x 6-1/2'

The mats are available in 10 x 10
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`