cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heads up if you use Aqua-Kem "toss-ins"

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
I changed to these early this year and thought they was the cat's *** but it turns out they are trouble! I have discovered that the "plastic bag" that is suppose to dissolve in water is not doing so and they are just dumping out with the solids. I had one snag on the inside of the dump hose and that is how I found out they don't work, it still had the blue powder inside it as a clump of blue paste. So today at work I took one and tossed it into a 5 gallon bucket half full of water and at the end of the day it was still floating on top, not dissolving at all! Watch out for these...........
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
48 REPLIES 48

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else getting a headache?

Ever heard the saying " Her sh!t doesn't stink"? ....point being all poop smells!
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of any problems with these products, will check this out.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Wishbone51 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
You most definitely will experience an odor when you flush the toilet, but if you do it quickly and don't have the overhead fan on, that odor should be minimal and dissipate quickly

I must be the luckiest person in the world, but I don't even get that. No matter how long I flush, fan on, high temps, no smell. Doesn't matter how long it's sitting in my drive way. I "camp" every Friday night with the kids at home and use the toilet. Could be sitting for weeks or months before dumping.

This is the only RV I ever had, so I guess I got lucky that my sewer system is good. I'm very anal about tank rinsing, so maybe I'm causing my own success. The sewer system was the part I dreaded most when learning to RV, but it ended up being such a non-issue.

I believe the people that say they use just water and get no smells, though I've never tried it. I use the GEO method mostly because it keeps my sensors working. I use an enzyme product if I know that the trailer won't be used for awhile. If I was full-timing, or on a site for weeks, I wouldn't care about the sensors.

Months before dumping with no smell? I dunno about that

In the hot summer months, I'll check the water level and add some if it's looking low to make sure it doesn't solidify. As mentioned, when sitting a long time, I'll add an enzyme to break things down. No issues.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
rolling_rhoda wrote:
I start them in a bucket with half a gallon of really warm water. It takes about one minute for it to dissolve before adding to the tank. Then I use that bucket to add about five gallons of cold water (and rinse the bucket).

Holy cow 5 gallons of added water on top of the 1/2 gallon, I'd be over 1/4 full if I did that. I only have 20 Gal Black and 20 Gal Grey holding tanks ๐Ÿ˜ž

I usually fill the toilet up a little more then usual slip in one of those dissolving packets , come back in 3-5 mins and flush the toilet.
Call it good , have a inline clear elbow and have never noticed anything obvious ..

Your smaller tank likely wouldn't need 5 gallons, but 2 or 3 may work well. You should always have enough that the solids have something to dissolve in to. With equal size gray and black tanks, I always seem to fill the gray first. Even with 5 gallons to start with in a 30 gallon tank.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Wishbone51 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
You most definitely will experience an odor when you flush the toilet, but if you do it quickly and don't have the overhead fan on, that odor should be minimal and dissipate quickly

I must be the luckiest person in the world, but I don't even get that. No matter how long I flush, fan on, high temps, no smell. Doesn't matter how long it's sitting in my drive way. I "camp" every Friday night with the kids at home and use the toilet. Could be sitting for weeks or months before dumping.

This is the only RV I ever had, so I guess I got lucky that my sewer system is good. I'm very anal about tank rinsing, so maybe I'm causing my own success. The sewer system was the part I dreaded most when learning to RV, but it ended up being such a non-issue.

I believe the people that say they use just water and get no smells, though I've never tried it. I use the GEO method mostly because it keeps my sensors working. I use an enzyme product if I know that the trailer won't be used for awhile. If I was full-timing, or on a site for weeks, I wouldn't care about the sensors.

Months before dumping with no smell? I dunno about that

Could be that we have met the man whose _____ doesn't stink.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Plain ole' water is all we used for 16 years of full-timing. Never a smell or other problems.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
I start them in a bucket with half a gallon of really warm water. It takes about one minute for it to dissolve before adding to the tank. Then I use that bucket to add about five gallons of cold water (and rinse the bucket).

Holy cow 5 gallons of added water on top of the 1/2 gallon, I'd be over 1/4 full if I did that. I only have 20 Gal Black and 20 Gal Grey holding tanks ๐Ÿ˜ž

I usually fill the toilet up a little more then usual slip in one of those dissolving packets , come back in 3-5 mins and flush the toilet.
Call it good , have a inline clear elbow and have never noticed anything obvious ..

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
willald wrote:
lanerd wrote:
However, that stink is contained, with the exception of the roof top vent and when a toilet is flushed.

..Or when the seals around the toilet wears out or fail, and you can't fix it immediately (like when camping). Or when the black tank vent line gets clogged. Or when the wind blows just the wrong way, and odors from that roof top vent make their way to the noses of your neighbors. Exactly! Those are some of the problems that will allow the stink to get inside the rv...and need to be repaired. My point exactly and what I have previously mentioned several times.

Right, and my point is, like I mentioned previously, sometimes those things are going to happen at a time, place such that you cannot fix it 100% instantly. That is when and why you will be very glad you are using chemicals.

Even when dumping the tank, the connections and hose are sealed with no openings to the outside.

Sooo, how exactly does one 'seal' where the hose goes in/on the sewer drain/outlet at the campground? THIS is an example of the type of fitting/connection that should be used.

LOL, thank you, you just proved my point with your link there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Look closely at the end of that Rhino fitting you linked to, where it goes down onto the sewer outlet. There is NOT going to be a completely air/gas tight seal there, no matter what you do.

Only way to come close to that would be if you had a fitting that had threads (which that Rhino piece you linked to does not BTW), and you were lucky enough to have a sewer outlet that had the same diameter threads and the fitting could be snugly screwed onto it. That will not happen very often, though.

I just don't think that a well maintained rv will experience these kind of problems often enough to warrant constant dumping of chemicals in the black tank. Obviously you do and that's ok as it's your money, your rv.

I think, if you had one or two unfortunate 'incidents' where some stuff spills out that you think never, ever can....You might see this differently. ๐Ÿ™‚

...And, I think that is basically the crux of where you and I disagree. You just don't think there is enough risk of this happening to warrant using chemicals. I OTOH, believe that it does warrant such, provided that you use the right chemicals and use them properly. Like I said, its a lot like insurance. You have to decide which is worse: Paying the premiums, or risking having something bad happen without the insurance in place.

Guess we'll just have to leave it at that, agree to disagree, and let everyone decide for themselves. ๐Ÿ™‚

Its a little bit like car insurance. If you ever actually need your car insurance...Something went wrong. Period. As long as nothing ever goes wrong on the road and you are an absolute PERFECT driver and live in your perfect little world where every other driver on the road is perfect...Insurance, like chemicals, would be a waste of money.

However, for those of us that live in the real world where things can and do go wrong, not a fantasy world where nothing ever goes wrong....Black tank chemicals, like insurance, is a really good idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, now you're getting a little personal and is uncalled for. We are having a rational discussion and we obviously have different point of views. But you have no reason to try an belittle my opinions by saying I live in a little world full of fantasies...

...But, it was OK for you to belittle my opinion earlier in this post, when you said that I must be the newbie? How does that saying go about the pot and the kettle? ๐Ÿ™‚

Indeed, Ron, have a great day.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
willald wrote:
lanerd wrote:
However, that stink is contained, with the exception of the roof top vent and when a toilet is flushed.

..Or when the seals around the toilet wears out or fail, and you can't fix it immediately (like when camping). Or when the black tank vent line gets clogged. Or when the wind blows just the wrong way, and odors from that roof top vent make their way to the noses of your neighbors. Exactly! Those are some of the problems that will allow the stink to get inside the rv...and need to be repaired. My point exactly and what I have previously mentioned several times.

Even when dumping the tank, the connections and hose are sealed with no openings to the outside.

Sooo, how exactly does one 'seal' where the hose goes in/on the sewer drain/outlet at the campground? THIS is an example of the type of fitting/connection that should be used.

I hope you aren't going to try and suggest that using a rubber donut or a weight holding the hose down gives you a perfect seal, as it does not. When you dump your tanks, some air/'gas' from in the tank is frequently going to get out, even if no liquid or solid does. No....not when the proper equipment is used, no odor odor or seepage will occur. Anyone that thinks otherwise...Hasn't been around RVs very much. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, I guess you must be a newbie then.

(..And that's not even getting into how imperfect some sewer hose connections, fittings can be as they wear out, or the fact that sewer hoses can develop pinholes in them from time to time, neither of which will be noticed until it leaks out during use).Again... as I previously mention...if you have an odor, you have a problem that needs to be repaired or replaced. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Sooo, NO, the connections/hose are NOT necessarily 'sealed with no openings to the outside'. Yes, they can and should be.

Ron

If you are experiencing an odor inside the rv, something is wrong. Period!

No argument there, but my point was, the solution to whatever is wrong, in the REAL world in many cases is not something you can fix instantly, on the fly. Sometimes, you have to live with a bad smell from the black tank temporarily.

Will, I have mentioned this previously also. Unfortunately, stuff does happen. But how often? Often enough to keep chemicals in your tank constantly. If yes, then the rv really needs some attention for maintenance. Things do wear out and need to be replaced or repaired and keeping the rv maintained should be a part of an rv'ers daily life.

And, you don't ever know when that could happen.

No, but good maintenance practice can keep most of those things from happening. I agree, some things will indeed break unexpectedly, and can create a problem for you. You just try to be prepared the best you can.

That is why the chemicals are a good idea, so that when things don't work perfectly, you don't have a horrible smell to deal with (or at least not AS horrible).

I just don't think that a well maintained rv will experience these kind of problems often enough to warrant constant dumping of chemicals in the black tank. Obviously you do and that's ok as it's your money, your rv.

Its a little bit like car insurance. If you ever actually need your car insurance...Something went wrong. Period. As long as nothing ever goes wrong on the road and you are an absolute PERFECT driver and live in your perfect little world where every other driver on the road is perfect...Insurance, like chemicals, would be a waste of money.

However, for those of us that live in the real world where things can and do go wrong, not a fantasy world where nothing ever goes wrong....Black tank chemicals, like insurance, is a really good idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, now you're getting a little personal and is uncalled for. We are having a rational discussion and we obviously have different point of views. But you have no reason to try an belittle my opinions by saying I live in a little world full of fantasies. So, Will... have a great day.

Ron

Will
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
...However, that stink is contained, with the exception of the roof top vent...
Ron

We now need a venting thread about all these non-chemically treated "scents" escaping these roof vents and making their way to other campsite disrespecting the rights of those campers!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:

..Or when the seals around the toilet wears out or fail, and you can't fix it immediately (like when camping). Or when the black tank vent line gets clogged. Or when the wind blows just the wrong way, and odors from that roof top vent make their way to the noses of your neighbors.

Sooo, how exactly does one 'seal' where the hose goes in/on the sewer drain/outlet at the campground? I hope you aren't going to try and suggest that using a rubber donut or a weight holding the hose down gives you a perfect seal, as it does not. When you dump your tanks, some air/'gas' from in the tank is frequently going to get out, even if no liquid or solid does. Anyone that thinks otherwise...Hasn't been around RVs very much. ๐Ÿ™‚

(..And that's not even getting into how imperfect some sewer hose connections, fittings can be as they wear out, or the fact that sewer hoses can develop pinholes in them from time to time, neither of which will be noticed until it leaks out during use).

Sooo, NO, the connections/hose are NOT necessarily 'sealed with no openings to the outside'.

If you are experiencing an odor inside the rv, something is wrong. Period!

No argument there, but my point was, the solution to whatever is wrong, in the REAL world in many cases is not something you can fix instantly, on the fly. Sometimes, you have to live with a bad smell from the black tank temporarily. And, you don't ever know when that could happen. That is why the chemicals are a good idea, so that when things don't work perfectly, you don't have a horrible smell to deal with (or at least not AS horrible).

Will
Will and Cheryl

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think anyone has said that poop doesn't stink...nor has anyone said the "inside" of a black tank doesn't stink. However, that stink is contained, with the exception of the roof top vent and when a toilet is flushed. Even when dumping the tank, the connections and hose are sealed with no openings to the outside. If you are experiencing an odor inside the rv, something is wrong. Period!

You most definitely will experience an odor when you flush the toilet, but if you do it quickly and don't have the overhead fan on, that odor should be minimal and dissipate quickly.

Look, if you want or feel the need to use chemicals to mask any odor...it is your money. All I'm trying to do is to provide info that chemicals are not needed and in fact can be detrimental to septic/sewer systems. Lots of water and a well maintained black tank system will keep the odor to a minimum, just as much as adding any chemical.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowin wrote:
....Nothing stops poop from stinking...

Bingo. That pretty much sums it up, haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl