cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High psi on inside dual tire

dalefuji
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I had a flat on left inside dually. The road side assistance guy brought a new Wrangler HT LT235 85R16 10 ply tire and put on left inside dually. This Mem Day weekend I was approx 40 miles from home and tire sensor beeped and this new tire was at 100 psi. When cold I had all tires set at 80 psi. The temperature was in 90 degrees f. The other tires were all in high 80s to 90 psi, including tag axle. Seven of my Hankook tires (same exact size) have 13/32 tread and according to specs this Wrangler new had 16/32. What would cause the one tire to go to 100 psi??????
I talked with one tire guy and he suggested I move the new tire from the inside dually to outside dually.

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for how-to question related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, go to the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
4 REPLIES 4

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to look for some outside problem that increases the ambient air temperature. Missing heat shield? Hanging brake?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:
Don't worry about high pressure alert if the pressure is correct when cold. I'm wondering if that one had higher pressure that the others when cold. 100 lbs is no problem for tires. All too high a pressure causes is wear on the center of the tread but 100 is not high enough for concern.

I disagree with this.

The rule of thumb is that you don't want more than a 10% pressure buildup. Below that value, the internal tire temperatures are within the range that the rubber can sustain over the life of the tire. (Note: Rubber deteriorates over time regardless of temperature, but higher temps accelerate the process. See Arrhenius's rule)

If you see more than a 15% pressure buildup, STOP!! You have to do something to reduce the temperature - usually adding inflation pressure (reducing load) or slowing down.

And didn't anyone tell you to match your duals? (especially the guy who sold you the new tire?) Your TPMS is trying to tell you there is something wrong. Listen to it.

What you need to do now is find a way to match your duals and that might mean purchasing another tire.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about high pressure alert if the pressure is correct when cold. I'm wondering if that one had higher pressure that the others when cold. 100 lbs is no problem for tires. All too high a pressure causes is wear on the center of the tread but 100 is not high enough for concern.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because it is the same size numericaly, does not mean it is the same physical size. Most likely it is bigger in diameter and is carrrying more load, especially on a crowned road.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore