cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooray for Shark Bite fittings...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of the plumbing in our 24' Nexus Class C is Pex. After 9 years once of the fittings on the feed line to the toilet developed a small leak. I'm guessing that there was a little bit of water left in the line after winterizing and one of several long hard freezes last winter caused a crack. I noticed the leak shortly after refilling the water tank for our first trip this spring.

The feed line is 5/8" where in goes into the back of the toilet connecting with a 90 degree elbow {with a 5/8" hose barb} which was mated with a threaded male/female connection to the Pex. Rather than try and wrestle with the Pex as I lack the proper tools or any working experience with Pex I cut the Pex and tried to sleeve 5/8" reinforced PVC hose over it double clamping this connection. It seemed snug but the next morning it was dripping again {I left the water on overnight to test the connection}.

Another trip to Ace Hardware where one of their guys in introduced me to the "Shark Bite" brass coupler. I got one with a female threaded end and added a 5/8" brass male hose barb and spliced this onto the Pex line {they just push on and can only be removed with a special SB tool} connecting downstream with the 5/8" PVC hose leading to the toilet. A couple wraps of Teflon tape on the brass hose barb with double hose clamps for good measure and Hooray... no more leak.

I had heard of the Shark Bite connectors but never had any reason to try them but if you have Pex plumbing keeping a connector or two in your spare parts locker would seem to be a pretty good idea. They will enable you to make quick work of a leak, I was lucky that mine developed while at home and while not cheap {the connector and brass hose barb were $15} they work very well. Now that I know how well they work it's back to Ace for a couple off spares.

:C
6 REPLIES 6

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Itasca uses Flair-it fittings on the PEX lines. They are fairly inexpensive, easy to use (no tools required), and quite effective. I carry a couple of straight couplers, a couple of elbows, a couple of T's, and a couple of end caps; although I have yet to actually need any of them. The few leaks I've had required nothing more than a hand tightening.
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My most used fitting for emergency repairs is the in-line valve. It can be used as a connector, an end cap, and of course as a valve.
Excellent point about the valve being "multi-functional"; I think I'll add a couple of Flair-It valves to my spare set.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've carried the similar Watts AquaLock(was SeaTech) push-on fittings in my spares for years. My most used fitting for emergency repairs is the in-line valve. It can be used as a connector, an end cap, and of course as a valve.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
For years I have carried them in the truck. Great for a quick repair on air lines until I could get home and replace the line. Most used on company trailers. Get back to shop and remove.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sharkbite (and similar style) are AWESOME. They are just expensive.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using SharkBite fittings on my home plumbing and heating system for years.
No leaks or failures.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds good! I have a couple small leaks I just put trays under because it's such a pain to not only get to them but to fix Pex. Thanks!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman