cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Water Heater

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend with a motor home who said one should not turn the hot water heater on until you are ready to use hot water and then turn it off afterward.

Never heard of such a thing. They are newer RVers and we have been doing this part time for 16 years.

Any thoughts?

Just curious.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

47 REPLIES 47

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Turning the water heater on and then off right away after using it seems like completely unreasonable OCD behaviour but to each their own.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
In south Texas in the summer the water heater is heating hot water(a little hotter) so, a hot water heater.:)
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

John & Kathy & Gizmo (maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Leakey, Tx (Texas Hill Country)

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:

Oh and it is a water heater. Why would you want to heat water that is already hot.

Ken

I have always wondered that also, why heat hot water?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I read many posts by people who, for want of a better term are "Propane-phobic"

I grew up with propane heated hot water in the house, that water heater ran 24x7 for many years with out significant attention.. Eventually it wore out and a new one was put in.

We also cooked with Gas.. Only had a problem once.. Parents got a new stove to replace the one we first had, This one was an advanced model, the oven was controlled by an electric thermostat and solenoid.

A near miss lightening strike exceeded the insulation on the solenoid and my sister came running into the living room "THERE IS A FIRE IN THE STOVE".. (Think about this, There is SUPPOSED to be a fire in the stove) Well, I gathered that it was not a normal fire. Grabbed a box of baking soda and on the second try hit the flaming solenoid square.. Fire out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyG73 wrote:
I'm not sure why but I tend to not trust RV water heaters unattended. Call me paranoid if you want but I fear returning from a day of fishing to a trailer that burnt to the ground.

This fear may be unfounded and I may be too cautious but I just feel more comfortable when I switch it off when away or not using it.

When we were full timing, we always stayed in one place for 13 or 26 weeks.
I turned the water heater on when we set up, and off before we left. No troubles. We used both the propane and electric at the same time all the time. Considering one or two showers per day, one or two loads of clothes in the washer/dryer nearly every day, and doing dishes twice a day, having the water hot when needed was nearly a must!
However, when the weather was cool enough to need the furnace, THAT thing is a fuel hog! In 35 to 40 degree weather, I was filling a 7 gallon bottle of propane every week to ten days!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We turn ours on when getting up in the morning for dishes and washing hands, etc. Then, because we usually stay out of the FW for hours at a time, we turn it off, as well as the pump. When we get back to the FW, we turn the pump and water heater on. Then, when we get ready to go to bed, we turn the heater off but leave the pump on for unexpected trips to the bathroom during the night. I don't have a remote pump switch in the bathroom. Don't do it to save money as the propane use is very minimal, but just don't feel comfortable leaving it unattended for a long period of time.
John A. Lichty

alfresco
Explorer
Explorer
My heater is only propane. I light it when I arrive at a campsite and turn it off when I leave. The propane it uses is minimal as my propane tankful will last over two years.
Patti & Ron
07 2500HD 4x4 Silverado
23' Hornet 5er

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I see on RV parts sites or The Home Depot site is 'water heater.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave mine on full time. If your not using the hot water it does not need to cycle on to heat it. Sure, there is a little loss do to the fact that RV water heaters are not insulated very well. But, it's minimal. In fact with my old style pilot light type water heater the pilot keeps the water warm when it's not in use. It never cycles on unless I use the water.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
You have to understand Veebyes that - and not being picky back at you - but in Arizona we have pretty hot water ALL the time; the hot water heater just makes it hotter!

These people are in a nice moho and in FHU parks. Propane not an issue.

Interesting, we leave ours on but it is electric. And we are FHU so it heats only when we are hooked up.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
happybooker1 wrote:
I just wish I could turn my HOUSE water heater off & on so easily as in flipping a switch!

The simple method is to install a timer on the supply side of the water heater.

Two 12 gsl heaters in my house. One for the kitchen. One for the bathrooms. Both set to be on from about 5PM to 11PM daily. Water remains hot for a long time, house or RV. 12 hours after shutting off the water is plenty hot & more than enough for a couple of showers. There is no need to have the thing on 24/7 especially if you live someplace where power is very expensive.

Boondocking 15 min to 30 min before requireing for showers is more than hot enough & plentyful enough for 2. Turn it off before the second person goes in.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1 wrote:
I just wish I could turn my HOUSE water heater off & on so easily as in flipping a switch!

You can do it one of 2 ways:

1) Install an inline switch at the heater. It is not difficult.

2) Just flip its' breaker.

Have done one or the other in every home I've owned.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OMG - I misspoke. Glad I made your day though.

P. S. Life is too short for this picky stuff.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

JohnnyG73
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why but I tend to not trust RV water heaters unattended. Call me paranoid if you want but I fear returning from a day of fishing to a trailer that burnt to the ground.

This fear may be unfounded and I may be too cautious but I just feel more comfortable when I switch it off when away or not using it.