cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do we repair this oops that hubby just made?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby just backed into a rock wall that was hidden by plants...he's not very happy.

I should probably mention that we are going camping tomorrow morning sometime...
He is off to HD to get some diamond plate and try and muddle his way through this.

So I think we need some help...cuss words are flying!

32 REPLIES 32

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
About that spotter position....

I used to ask him every single time he backed up if he wanted me to jump out spot him and the answer was mostly no. He got a back up camera about 6 months ago, fell in love with it and obviously relied a bit too heavily on it!!! Since he got it, I was asking even more less. He was turning around in a driveway and neither of us saw the vine covered wall...too busy jawing. This was a very quiet road too...until we both heard the crunch....

Given that I never thought he would hit something, I am going to guess that his driving down unknown roads in search of boon docking spots is soon going to get him to back miles back out of some road. WE both know its coming...

Time to trade in the husband on a new one!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby was able to bank out bumper to fix it so that is good to go.

Diamond plate is on order to cover both ladder ends and there will probably be a plywood piece placed internally...hubby can figure that one out.

Thanks so much.
Donna

PS. It rained in PA almost constantly this past weekend and the duct
tape worked great!

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I wood put diamond plate all the way across.... at least supporting the ladder attatchments. Then have a new square tubing bumper made that goes further out than the ladder.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Since there is a plywood backer 1/8 " flat or diamond plate would do. I would get the damaged are expoxied back into position, sand it flat/flush. Cut the plate 2"-4" longer than the ladder is wide and 4"-6" vertical. Use Dicor for a seal and use 8 fairly large stainless wood screws to attach the plate, that way you can wipe the excess dicor off. Then do the ladder mount. If he backs into something again it will only bend the ladder or if harder that that a body shop will be needed.

LEN

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A guy who is good with fiberglass will have no problem fixing the hole. If there's no qualified RV repair shop nearby, look for an auto body shop near a lake, they will likely have experience repairing smashed jet skis. People are always hitting docks, swim platforms, and other jet skis with those things, usually at fairly low speeds, and they end up with little crunches, just like your coach.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a major delamination issue just waiting to get out of hand.

When you get back from your trip, take the coach to an RV body shop and have it repaired correctly. If you don't do it correctly now, you will have a much more expensive repair down the road. Covering it up with diamond plate, duct tape, etc. only masks damage that is underneath.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Heck that isn't so bad. They can probably buff that right out. - Dell

I always like to hide things in plain sight. I've used push plates or door bottoms from HD before. They are flat and usually clear or gold anodized and are pre-drilled. Smooth finish instead of diamond plate.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first thought on seeing the post was, where was the spotter?

The repair is not difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult. Fiberglass repair is not as mysterious as many believe. You Tube will be your friend. The nice thing about dealing with fiberglass resin & cloth is that you can sand or grind out your mistakes & do it again.

If not doing the repair yourselves take it to a boat hull repair place. A good tech there should have it repaired stronger the new & invisible.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Since the cuss words are flying I'd wait until tomorrow to ask Jesus. I know that he will work with him tomorrow
Dennis Hoppert

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
About that spotter position....

I used to ask him every single time he backed up if he wanted me to jump out spot him and the answer was mostly no. He got a back up camera about 6 months ago, fell in love with it and obviously relied a bit too heavily on it!!! Since he got it, I was asking even more less. He was turning around in a driveway and neither of us saw the vine covered wall...too busy jawing. This was a very quiet road too...until we both heard the crunch....

Given that I never thought he would hit something, I am going to guess that his driving down unknown roads in search of boon docking spots is soon going to get him to back miles back out of some road. WE both know its coming...

OK, you are off the hook ๐Ÿ™‚ Him on the other hand....well

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Spotting.

Always get out. Make sure he has the windows down so he can hear you.

Tell him the back-up camera can't show him where the wheels are, nor can it show overhanding branches which can damage the rig. I've seen an AC pulled off a 5er while backing with a backup camera.

One of my best, most experienced friends managed to catch the curbside rear slide cover awning unit on an overhanging limb and pull that off the motorhome - while going forward to get into position to backup a few months ago.

Everyone can use help in backing the rig into a spot.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
How deep is the hole behind the puncture? If there is something not to deep, there is a 2 part epoxy putty, like clay bars. Knead the 2 parts together and stuff it in as best you can . This will cure like a brick and allow the base of the ladder to have something to screw into. Also need to drill small holes at the end of each crack to prevent the cracks from "running" any further than they already are. Could also cut a block of wood slightly larger than hole and work it in behind the hole and epoxy it in place. Either way there needs to be some backing for the ladder to be properly screwed back.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that was in the plan.
Probably some eternabond in there somewhere as well.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Make the diamond plate wide enough to go behind both legs.
-- Chris Bryant