cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you pay your bills on the road on extended trips?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
How do you pay your bills while on the road for an extended trip of a month or longer? We pay our bills online from home but are leery of say logging in at a Starbucks on the road to pay bills. What's a secure way to do it?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
43 REPLIES 43

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
How do you pay your bills while on the road for an extended trip of a month or longer? We pay our bills online from home but are leery of say logging in at a Starbucks on the road to pay bills. What's a secure way to do it?

*ALL* my routine bills (inc'l charge card) are paid by auto deduct ("ACH") from my credit union acct. Ditto auto deposit/s. Easy to check and maintain balances etc., via toll free number.

Never found the need for online banking.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Setup auto pay on all you can, everything I have to pay is setup that way as we are out about 3/4 time. I get emails, payment x will draft on what ever date so I'm aware of what goes out. I can log in to my banks at any time to check balance or up daily limits for a large purchase. Simple & works well for us.

You pay on line so hot spot your phone, it's about as secure as you going to get on the road.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a VPN. The VPN app encrypts your information before it leaves your computer so it doesn't matter who's wifi you are using.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Auto pay and auto deposit. All credit cards send a text and/or email on every use including amount and where.
Accounting is on Quick Books as needed.
Puma 30RKSS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of people send cash. I have sold people stuff in Europe and they sent CASH. We have a underground economy in our country that is fueled by cash.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Renters, send checks and money orders or cash,.
Cash? Who sends cash?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have the latest I phone and it has all the options to do this stuff. The problem is I need to teach myself how to use it. Renters, send checks and money orders or cash, oil & gas royalties come in checks, SS is direct deposit. Then as it stands now I have to have the bills (mail) in order to pay them. Somehow years ago I worked all over the world and got them paid. Now I am limiting my trips to 15 days or less just for this problem.

you should be able to have the oil/gas royalties direct deposit. That's what are done with ours.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the latest I phone and it has all the options to do this stuff. The problem is I need to teach myself how to use it. Renters, send checks and money orders or cash, oil & gas royalties come in checks, SS is direct deposit. Then as it stands now I have to have the bills (mail) in order to pay them. Somehow years ago I worked all over the world and got them paid. Now I am limiting my trips to 15 days or less just for this problem.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I see everything covered here EXCEPT how the money got into your account to cover the payments----for those of us without unlimited money in the bank and no direct deposit.

SS and pension are direct deposits to our checking account. If I need to move money from my investment account I do that online using MY hotspot and MY computer with two factor authentication. Normally before we leave I make sure there will be enough in checking to cover all expense and online payments.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have direct deposit for our SSI and some annuity payments, but we also receive several royalty and other annuity payments by check. Our credit union and our bank both have a photo deposit feature that lets us make deposits online anywhere we have Internet service.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see everything covered here EXCEPT how the money got into your account to cover the payments----for those of us without unlimited money in the bank and no direct deposit.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone wants auto pay or draft. We don't do that. We pay online and schedule payments when to come out ahead of time, many times.
So far, we have been where we have wifi. Using the smart devices or phones anywhere you have a connection, connecting the lap top is better than trying to use that teeny pad.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some are auto pay. A couple times a month we will use a library if something more secure cannot be found. Never use a fast food or similar place.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips folks
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch