cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you transport your mobioity scooter

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mobility scooter that does not break down to small parts. I tow a car so on the back is not an option the toad is too small to put a carrier on the back.
19 REPLIES 19

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
The toad is a pT Cruiser I would very much like to put my power carrier on it but I do not know where or how to determine if the PT is capable of the weight. I am willing to reinforce the rear suspension if that works.

ItsyRV wrote:
If you do not want to change mobility scooters and the toad is too small to support a mounted carrier, besides the front carrier, you may want to consider a wheelie bar carrier. These are carriers that mount to the toads hitch like a standard mounted carrier but they are equipped with a stabilizing supporting wheel(s) under it. A prime example of this is the Bruno Chariot.

Look it over here Bruno Chariot and see if it may work.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxmโ€™s post to use a dual hitch is a solution for some. The linked hitch however has red flags for me. The cost doesnโ€™t suggest quality, the picture on the car is not the same as the product for sale, the upper hitch is for light weight like bicycles or small carrier, carrier clearance including turning and the combined scooter and carrier weight.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Bruno Chariot is a interesting $$$ solution. Besides the cost my only comment is the scooter is outside (which applies to other types of carriers) and as such is subject to rain and road dirt. Our toad certainly gets it's share of dirt from the road and it and the RV are a big mess after driving in the rain.

Although our scooter is suppose to be rain "proof" and I've washed it with a hose I don't know how tolerant it would be behind a toad for longer summer travel, even with a cover.

Bob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Any suggestions for a power lift with swing arm for a SUV? I've been looking at Harmar and Bruno.

We had a Bruno swing arm lift installed on our toad for my sister-in-law's scooter. It worked well and never gave us any problems.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not want to change mobility scooters and the toad is too small to support a mounted carrier, besides the front carrier, you may want to consider a wheelie bar carrier. These are carriers that mount to the toads hitch like a standard mounted carrier but they are equipped with a stabilizing supporting wheel(s) under it. A prime example of this is the Bruno Chariot.

Look it over here Bruno Chariot and see if it may work.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you use a "Drop hitch" adapter? one of the various types is an "Over and under" type. 2" bar goes into the receiver. another 2" bar is welded to it up and down and two receivers welded to that one above the other.

IF someone in your party can lift the scooter. Put a cargo tray on the UPPER receiver (Harbor freight) I did have to "widen" the tray a bit to hold my wife's scooter. I was able to lift it onto/off the tray.. most can not however. (If you pull the batteries it gets lots lighter. I did not)

once was chatting with a salesman and some people were looking at same model.
I picked it up and set it on the table. Salesman ask me to return it to the floor as he could not ๐Ÿ™‚ Ok so I grew up throwing 80 pound bales of hay over my head and think not much of carrying a 180 pound load up a ladder . I was younger than however.

There are cargo carriers with fold down ramps and that's the type I'd use. You don't get those at horrible freight however. Don't knwo who sells 'em.

Here is the hitch adapter
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any suggestions for a power lift with swing arm for a SUV? I've been looking at Harmar and Bruno.

Bob

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like with your rig you need to consider a scooter that breaks down. We have one and they are not that expensive and will fit in some pretty small spaces.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We transported a mobility scooter for a few years in the back of a Honda Element with the seats up on the wall (Element owners will know what I mean) I could open the gate and then stand the scooter on the rear end and lift it up from the rear. Less than a minute to open gate, load scooter, put the scooter in gear and close the gate. Now we have a lift on the side of the MH that lifts my wife and scooter at the same time. She drives on and off the lift and into/out of the MH.
Wish I could buy a brand new Element today. Great towed
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Travel Scoot for 5 years now. 35# to lift into my Equinox. It folds if necessary. It goes on airplanes and I ride to the plane door. It gets picked up and always there when I get off the plane. The light weight enables it to go where others can't go. My big heavy one is in the garage, unused for the last 5 years.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I understand you have a scooter already but often a used one that breaks down is very inexpensive. I have purchased three of them and they were quite new. Both for $500 or less. They have smaller tires so are not good in gravel etc but are perfect for theme park usage or the like.

I carried two of them in the back of my Ford Edge.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use these ramps.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lawnmower-Loading-Ramps-trailer/dp/B00DJBQ1SW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&ke...

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why do some of you just tell stories that arenโ€™t applicable or helpful to the OPs question?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our scooter has very low clearance and this includes the 2 small wheels behind the rear wheels that prevent the scooter from tipping up like on a grade. Check your scooter clearance for the ramps.

Bob