cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How level is level

backpacker74
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 28 ft travel trailer with a standard weight distribution hitch given to me by a friend. The only issue with the hitch is that it is fixed height and does not allow for adjustment of the level. With the setup as is, there is a 2 inch difference between the front end of my trailer and the back end (lower). I have always ready that you should get your trailer "as close to level as possible." In your experiences, is two inches "close to level" or should I be looking to replace my hitch system with one that adjusts?
7 REPLIES 7

backpacker74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...thats what I figured....I have a couple of leads for used hitch systems. Is the weight rating usually stamped on the spring bars if the original stickers are gone?

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
But how level is it when you are packed up and ready to go. Stuff and water in the TT and people in the TV. I think you're fine the way it is. 1" high in the front is not that big of a deal. Move some things to the front of the TT.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grchristens wrote:
As level as possible. My husband did not level our Class C this weekend, and I had my first night of uncomfortable sleep. It is amazing how our bodies can "feel" the leveling issue.

I believe the OP is talking about towing the trailer out of level - not when it is parked.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Get an adjustable height shank. Better yet, get a whole new WDH with integrated sway control, EQ 4-pt or Reese Srait Line
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grchristens
Explorer
Explorer
As level as possible. My husband did not level our Class C this weekend, and I had my first night of uncomfortable sleep. It is amazing how our bodies can "feel" the leveling issue.
Chad... an Army retired recruiter and soon to be lawyer
Gina... a public school principal
Alyssa... an 11 year old angel
Olivia... a 2 year old explorer
Abbie... a snuggle buddy Yorkie
Pizzo... a Jack Russell who is a man's best friend

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Close to level as possible is best...If you are running with the front higher than the rear (nose high) this could cause you to experience an increase is sway.

Better level or nose slightly down.

(Barney, since you beat me in and type faster - go ahead and delete my similar post if you want to...:))
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my opinion, that is too far out of level and in the wrong direction. You do not want the front of the trailer higher than the back. Level is best but slightly nose down works ok also. I would purchase a new hitch head and shank to get things leveled out.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine