cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many in the RV community own an Electric vehicle.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
So yah, curious how many RVers here own an electric vehicle.

If so do you trailer it and bring it with you.(less likely I know) Pictures of the combo would be interesting as well.

I have seen a Tesla being trailered behind a Dutch Star and a Nissan Leaf behind a Tiffin and of course our smart ED behind our Revolution.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
14 REPLIES 14

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Can any EV's or Hybrids be flat towed? The only one that I have heard that can is the Ford C-max which is just under 4000 lbs.

I'm not aware of any full electrics being towable....so far. We trailer ours.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can any EV's or Hybrids be flat towed? The only one that I have heard that can is the Ford C-max which is just under 4000 lbs.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have a golf cart
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
WayneLee wrote:
I own a "plug in hybrid", a 2014 Ford Fusion iEnergy, that has a 7.5 KWh battery plus a gas engine. According to the owners manual, the Ford Fusion can be towed 4-down without any extra considerations - this is true for the "all gas" Fusion as well as the iEnergy. I get around 18 to 20 miles of electric power before the car rolls over to gas power. So it's great for my 2 mile commute (one way) to my office.

I haven't thought about towing my Fusion. I'm leasing it right now until the technology settles down. Then I will purchase one and set it up for towing.

Thanks for that info.

I would love to see all electric vehicles be able to be towed four down but of course we are a pretty small part of the market so it is probably not on the top 1000 things of a car manufacturer to do. Up to now I have only seen various EV's on trailers behind motorhomes. It is interesting to see the amount of RVers who are embracing the technology though. The next 4 years will see more long range EV's hot the market and probably a price drop for mid range EV's like the 30 KW leaf. Because of lifestyle and location EV's will not be suitable for some until the range gets longer but for many like us a mid range EV will be all we ever need. Hopefully manufacturers will continue to offer medium range units in North America although the real market for mid range EV's is europe. Anything over 150 km or 250 km and you are taking the high speed train anyway. Not something we can do on this side of the pond.

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
I own a "plug in hybrid", a 2014 Ford Fusion iEnergy, that has a 7.5 KWh battery plus a gas engine. According to the owners manual, the Ford Fusion can be towed 4-down without any extra considerations - this is true for the "all gas" Fusion as well as the iEnergy. I get around 18 to 20 miles of electric power before the car rolls over to gas power. So it's great for my 2 mile commute (one way) to my office.

I haven't thought about towing my Fusion. I'm leasing it right now until the technology settles down. Then I will purchase one and set it up for towing.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. We drove the I3. Very nice Car. At first I didn't like the styling but it grows on you. Very classy. It was out of our price range though so we got the leaf. Year end clearance etc.

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '14 BMW i3 and 4 ebikes: a recumbent street bike with a hub motor, his and hers rigid mid-drive fatbikes and a full suspension mid-drive fat eMTB for me. When we travel, I put the two swivel chairs upside down on the dinette and use Moose chocks that clip to plates on the floor to secure two ebikes inside our fiver.

They are like ultra lite dirt bikes that don't make any noise........ We travel at 10 to 20 mph for about 25miles on a charge on dirt trails in the mountains and about 40 miles on flat pavement. The recumbent will do 15/25 mph for over 50 miles on the flats.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I had one of the first LEAF's back in May 2011. Traded for and now have Toyota RAV4-EV. About 135 mile range. The drive train, battery, charger etc is made by Tesla with only about 2300 produced and sold as 2012 through 2014 models.

CarMax for anyone interested

Cool. Kind of a collectors car now. Smart ED's are kinda common but they didn't make many convertibles like ours. I get conflicting numbers on how many produced though as there are a lot more in europe than here.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I had one of the first LEAF's back in May 2011. Traded for and now have Toyota RAV4-EV. About 135 mile range. The drive train, battery, charger etc is made by Tesla with only about 2300 produced and sold as 2012 through 2014 models.

CarMax for anyone interested

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Does a hybrid count? A Prius and yes I tow it... click on how below.

Sure, why not. I can see the picture now. It kinda looks like a dolly but I'm not sure I know what I am looking at. Is it a plug in prius. Curious how those are working out for people. We thought about them but for us the gas motor would never get used so we decided against it. Prius is a nice car though with a stellar reputation.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does a hybrid count? A Prius and yes I tow it... click on how below.
*Now that I'm at my computer:
No it's not a plug in and heard they are having some problems with the plug in battery.

The Prius is on sort of a wheel lift but it does not raise/lower since the car runs. I drive it up the wooden ramps and the tires settle onto the front of the ramps and raise them up.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Caddy ELR but do not tow it. Too little ground clearance to get it on a dolly and cannot be flat towed. The weight of car and a trailer would be too much for our gasser...

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
mikim wrote:
We own a Tesla Model S but do not tow it. We have a Chevy HHR as a dinghy.

Nice. Our second vehicle is a wannabe Tesla. We have a Nissan Leaf. ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe when it grows up it will be a Tesla. ๐Ÿ™‚

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Tesla Model S but do not tow it. We have a Chevy HHR as a dinghy.