cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to secure water fill inlets?

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer

I just don't like having those accessible like that.

How about locking caps like locking gas caps?

Or how about a metal plate with two holes in it and a locking door? Unthread those caps; put the plate on; put the caps back on and lock the door.

Anyone ever seen any type of locking device? I wish all the RV makers would stop using this setup and put those inside of a locked compartment.
93 REPLIES 93

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah yes but you missed the Hose Bib security lock clicky!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220814489445?lpid=82&chn=ps
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
2milesup wrote:
I hadn't given the idea any thought, but this thread had me wondering. Then we made a deal on a new TT, lo and behold, it has the fresh water fill behind a locking panel! Problem solved...

Problem solved??..:h

What was the solution to secure the connection for your fresh water hose at a hose bib..:S

Although the sky is not falling (silly thread) - it would be easy to mess with your water from the supply end.
Disconnect - pour some "whatever" in the hose - re-connect and be gone.

Hmmmmm - entrepreneurs take note.....
opportunity for a new security gizmo for "water terrorist paranoia"!..:C

Fresh water "FILL" is behind a locking door. Therefore, after his tank is filled, it's locked and secured.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
2milesup wrote:
I hadn't given the idea any thought, but this thread had me wondering. Then we made a deal on a new TT, lo and behold, it has the fresh water fill behind a locking panel! Problem solved...

Problem solved??..:h

What was the solution to secure the connection for your fresh water hose at a hose bib..:S

Although the sky is not falling (silly thread) - it would be easy to mess with your water from the supply end.
Disconnect - pour some "whatever" in the hose - re-connect and be gone.

Hmmmmm - entrepreneurs take note.....
opportunity for a new security gizmo for "water terrorist paranoia"!..:C

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
However,,,, sometimes looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist makes that problem more likely to begin to exist?

If you see what I mean.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same camp. Out of sight, out of mind. A locked panel is something most people will pass by unless they have a grudge, they are intoxicated on some substance, or teens being teens... and are in a mood to trash something.

I don't consider Europeans paranoid, but all their hatches (fresh water, gray water, even the door for the cassette toilet) are all lockable.

It also gets the ports out of the weather as well. Even though a FW inlet may be capped, it isn't unwise to have a flap just to keep the mud and other road grime from being there.

Paranoia is worthless... but there is always having at least some resistance to attack, and even if the panel or door is opened by a CH751 key, it is far better than nothing.

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
I for one will not berate the OP or call him paranoid. For one I think it odd that RV water supplies are left open as the norm. I have seen adolescents and teens do some strange things, just "for fun." It is not about locking it up to prevent some sort of terrorist attack. It is about a modicum of protection to prevent someone seeing it and getting the idea to play a prank or downright mischief. Keeping honest people honest, if you will.

Two, karma can come back and bite. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Michael

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
why are you that paranoid
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Yet they still make cars and trucks without locking gas doors.

As for fuel, I would venture to say, if unlocked, there is more of a risk of the fuel being syphoned out than anything added to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Michael

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Then again ... I can't get out of my mind what one poster in these forums has in the signature section of every one of their posts: "If you aren't paranoid ... then you aren't paying attention."

Apparently Winnebago has just a wee bit of paranoia or they know something that some others in this thread don't. Our Itasca came with it's fresh water inlet behind a locked door. IMHO, not having the fresh water inlet "protected" this way is just more of the usual - RV manufacturers trying to cheap it out. This cheap it out approach is all too common in the Made-in-the-USA RV world today.

I wonder how many of us have heard of the good old stunt of dumping sugar in an automobile's gas tank? Our RV has it's fuel inlet behind a locked door, too.

Yet they still make cars and trucks without locking gas doors.

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope a bunch of people re-read their post's and realize what jerks they are being......why not just stay quiet if you don't want to answer a question.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then again ... I can't get out of my mind what one poster in these forums has in the signature section of every one of their posts: "If you aren't paranoid ... then you aren't paying attention."

Apparently Winnebago has just a wee bit of paranoia or they know something that some others in this thread don't. Our Itasca came with it's fresh water inlet behind a locked door. IMHO, not having the fresh water inlet "protected" this way is just more of the usual - RV manufacturers trying to cheap it out. This cheap it out approach is all too common in the Made-in-the-USA RV world today.

I wonder how many of us have heard of the good old stunt of dumping sugar in an automobile's gas tank? Our RV has it's fuel inlet behind a locked door, too.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
TOMMY47 wrote:
To those mocking the OP.
Do you lock your house doors? Windows? Car doors?
Why--You're just being paranoid based on your chances of having a home invasion or car theft.
Do you lockup your bicycle or camper? Pure paranoia according to you.
Smart-ass answers help nothing.

TOMMY47 wrote:
Oldme--I agree.
BTW. do any of you guys lock or chain your generator at a campground? If you do, WHY?

Day in and day out you can probably find 100 police reports across the nation about theft from auto, stolen bike, expensive stolen property. Its not paranoia to lock your doors, close your windows, secure your bike and other expensive gear. It is a common sense solution to a very real and widespread problem. Heck, I've had someone steal the L pins from my Equalizer bracket at a campground. I used to lay my WDH gear across the A frame. Now that I have been a victim of theft because I failed to lock up my gear, I lock up my gear. I am using a common sense solution to a valid and legitimate concern.

I challenge you to find even 5 reports of a stranger intentionally poisoning a single random person or family. The reason some people are mocking (I don't think I mocked) are because it is such an outlandish scenario to concern yourself with. There are FAR more likely scenarios that one should worry about before we get to locking the water tank fill opening on our camper.

I wear my seatbelt because every day thousands of people are injured or killed in car crashes. I don't wear a helmet when I sit on the toilet because I am afraid I will fall off hit my head and die. There is preparation for a legitimate concern and then there is bizarre paranoia. To me, the OP's question falls closer to paranoia than legitimacy.

Could it happen? I suppose there is a exceptionally minimal possibility. If I lived in fear of all the things that could potentially (but unlikely) occur, I would die of the stress. You could cut your finger, get a staph infection and die a week later just trying to install a locking cap on your water. More people get staph infections every year than get poisoned by a random stranger for no reason at a campground. I would be more concerned with the staph infection than the water.

Outlandish tbings happen like the person who peed in the hole at the mini golf course. my niece was about to reach for the ball when i warned her. she said she never thought someone would do that, but my mind works that way.