cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Mathew

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting here on the farm in a 45' RV in Ft. Lauderdale waiting for Hurricane Mathew. There is no way I can move the RV because the ground is too soft. My question is, do I leave the jacks down or do I raise them? I'm thinking raising them makes more sense. I will bring in my slides. Any other things I should do?
Stefan
40 REPLIES 40

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
If you think about it these "Mandatory Evacuation Orders" worked. Even though not everyone evacuated, and even though in some places it does not seem that bad, it would have been a lot worse if everyone had stayed put. Then the extra people would have overloaded the system with just the normal amount of accidents.

It could have been worse if people had not gotten out of the way.

Evacuation should be determined by your circumstances. I'm OK with the "mandatory" orders, as long as there's no legal penalty for ignoring it. Your decision to evacuate should always be based on your circumstances and your needs. I know some folks that built a house in the Bahamas that was designed to laugh at CAT5 storms and storm surge, all while maintaining full electricity. There are many homes designed the same way. For me, unless I feared imminent danger, I'm staying put. Then again, I don't live in a mobile home or in a flood zone.

I understand that. But, in that case you should be willing to sign, and accept, that in a emergency you are not going to be the first on the list because you accepted the responsibility for staying.

Being prepared great!!!

But, for those people that are not,, and that is most of them, when they say get out then you need to get out.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.
We are planning to leave Ontario for Florida
this coming Friday,
Should be travelling I26 from Columbia down to I95
on Saturday.

From what I can read, we should have no problems
with roads, gas or motels from Columbia to Ft Pierce Florida.

We would appreciate if anyone knows differently.
Thanks.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Well I'm just 3 miles N.N.W of Exit 49 on I-95 (Cox Rd) and it was not all that bad here.

We are 20 miles south of you at exit 29. We can just hear I-95 traffic from the house.

I don't know what the evacuation orders were for McIntosh County. Glynn County Commissioners called for a mandatory evacuation of the entire county around mid-day on Thursday. Later that day the Governor called for evacuations of all of GA east of I-95.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
We got power back yesterday- lost it Friday morning at 1 AM. Ran our little red eu2000 from Friday afternoon until yesterday- it ran a 10k portable air, 24 cu ft refrigerator and TV- couldn't use ECO throttle, but I am certain I was running just over the rating- did get the overload a couple of times (I'm thinking defrost on refrigerator).
This storm- for us at least- was nowhere near as bad as 2004, but if it had wobbled to the west instead of east, it could have been brutal.. None of our cleanup involved a chain saw, and having over 100 mature Live Oak trees, that is a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
If you think about it these "Mandatory Evacuation Orders" worked. Even though not everyone evacuated, and even though in some places it does not seem that bad, it would have been a lot worse if everyone had stayed put. Then the extra people would have overloaded the system with just the normal amount of accidents.

Evacuation should be determined by your circumstances. I'm OK with the "mandatory" orders, as long as there's no legal penalty for ignoring it. Your decision to evacuate should always be based on your circumstances and your needs. I know some folks that built a house in the Bahamas that was designed to laugh at CAT5 storms and storm surge, all while maintaining full electricity. There are many homes designed the same way. For me, unless I feared imminent danger, I'm staying put. Then again, I don't live in a mobile home or in a flood zone.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I'm just 3 miles N.N.W of Exit 49 on I-95 (Cox Rd) and it was not all that bad here. My daughter said entire county was under mandatory but only thing I heard is east of I-95... Surge was 9 Feet peak they tell me, I'm at 15, Power is still a bit "iffy" just went out here for about 15 minutes than back on.

I've done a bit of re-wiring here. I now have one small fan that is connected Directly to the Park's power box.. It is the only thing on that outlet so no chance of overloading the 50 amp breaker feeding this site.

If power goes out that fan stops.. I may well not notice save for the loss of that fan.. When power returns that fan comes back on.. 3 minutes later (well 173 seconds) Power returns to the rest of the coach.

Meanwhile I'm off line (Park Routers rely on shore power) but can continue to watch TV, Cook dinner, or whatever (Those systems are all on the Prosine). I can even continue to compose on the comptuer or play Solitaire.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Wednesday we went to bed not planning to evacuate as there were only voluntary evacuation orders for the islands. We woke up to Mandatory evacuations east of I-95. We are about 1 mile west of I-95. We decide to leave. On our way west, we got a notification that the entire county was under Mandatory evacuation.

We were fortunate and had no damage. A neighbor had a tree fall on the back of his house, but that was the only real damage. We returned Saturday afternoon to no power. Got power back around 8 pm Sunday. We parked the motorhome in the driveway and ran the generator to power the S&B refrigerator and some lamps, power mobile devices, etc.

It wasn't a non-event for us, some parts of the county sustained a lot of damage. Evacuated residents of St. Simons Island still cannot return. Folks that stayed are under a boil water advisory. No word yet on when they can return, that's up to the governor as he called for a mandatory evacuation of all areas east of I-95. The county is okay with residents returning, the state is not.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am in Georgia, Just north of Darien, Darien was under Mandatory Evauacation but I'm on the other side of the Freeway 3 miles... (The freeway defined the evauc zone) Had to put a piece of trim back (the cover over the screw rain on one side) and repair a tear in a slide topper I've been putting off for some time (A small tear became a bit larger, no where near as bad as it should have though, only about 10 inches give or take a bit) Power and Internet are now back up (Lost 'em Friday Eve)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
sflabrkr wrote:
I stayed at my daughters house. It was such a nothing event the pool level didn't even rise.
could have been much worse

Be glad it was a nothing event for you. My DD lives just outside of Raleigh, NC and spent Saturday fighting to keep flood waters out of her house. She was supposed to be at Myrtle Beach, but decided to stay home. From the pics of MB and the flooding in NC, she made a good decision, but is still surrounded by closed roads.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Funny story. We bugged out to a park near Macon, GA -- then had to (quite literally) bug out from there back home.

They say you should start every morning by eating a live toad because after that nothing else could be worse. I did one better. Started my day eating an ant.

The RV park had ants everywhere and they crawled all in the camper, one in my mouth. I found out the hard way that they are spicy and they are not poisonous. That woke me up because I was gagging on it. Then I found them crawling on my pillow and all over EVERYWHERE. Thank God they were not biting; not sure if they didn't want to or were not aggressive. I didn't ask them to find out. LOL

So at 4:30 in the morning we had to pack up and head back home.

There were some trees down but not bad. We have power and internet. Very little food was lost.

All's well that ends well.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
The same Dodos are the ones who want the FD to rescue them.Do you think maybe a tornado could be spawned by 130 MPH winds? I was in Vietnam and had to be outside in 60 MPH gust to 90 and tin and limbs were flying horizontally with the rain. Oh well too late now. Hope you survive to tell a wild tale.

I'm with you

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sflabrkr wrote:
I stayed at my daughters house. It was such a nothing event the pool level didn't even rise.

Yes, it could have been. You were lucky. You may not always be. It was a mistake to stay. For heavens sake you have a RV on wheels. You should have left days ago.

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
CopilotCompanion wrote:
sflabrkr wrote:

Glad to hear you are safe!
Yeah, me too. But, where are you? I think it matters some...

West Ft. Lauderdale