cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I think I've got the answer

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen the question asked, how long will the refer run on propane? No difinitive answer but just, "a pretty long time" seems to be the general concensus.

Well, being lazy. I found the answer, or I'd say pretty close. I didn't feel like emptying the refer after returning and I didn't plug the TT in so I left the refer on propane for about two weeks after filling both tanks. It lasted almost exactly 14 days on one tank before I changed to the next tank. Now I know that there are variables like outside temp to take into account but that is the jist of it. Outside temps averaged around 60 degrees at night and maybe up to 78 degrees in the day.

One other discovery I made was the refer actually keeps cold while the TT is on a slope the whole time while on propane. The last time I did this I plugged it in and ran the refer on electric and I quickly emptied it and turned it off. The ice cream started to melt so that was the deciding factor for me then. This time no ice cream but I did have a bag of ice in the freezer and on propane, it never melted. So, FWIW, perhaps useful info.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
12 REPLIES 12

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
JJ,

That is good information to know. I had no idea as I'm sure many don't. I knew that for "best performance" it is good for them to be level and I especially knew that on electric they had to be level. Just took a chance the first time when on electric and the ice cream melted. I figured the propane operation worked better because that is how you travel with it running.

So, good bad or indifferent. In the future, except while on the road traveling. When it is parked I'll be sure to either shut it off and empty it or get it level.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Trust me, people in the cooling unit repair Bus. and replacement love you attitude as it insures a steady income flow for themโ€ฆ

The fact that they will work while out of level means nothing, the damage is seldom instant, the damage is slow and they normally just keep becoming less efficient before quittingโ€ฆ almost unnoticeable at firstโ€ฆ

it seems RV refrigeration repair companies are as busy as ever since the newer design, maybe more so in the area of fires over failureโ€ฆ maybe itโ€™s because people take this higher tolerance of out-of-level to literallyโ€ฆ
There are only three requirements for the proper and safe operation of a absorption fridge and they havenโ€™t changed and are just as important today as they ever wereโ€ฆ they areโ€ฆ

THREE REQUIREMENTS - FOR PROPER OPERATION
1. Level
2. Air Flow (Good Ventilation)
3. Heat (Precise heat)

The only question on level is the level of risk you are willing to assumeโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I have never had my fridge not work because my trailer was not level, just saying. I think the level issue is grossly exaggerated. There have been many times I got it only eyeball level and I know it was off.

yeah, I am with you on that gypsie. However if I feel like I am gonna roll out of bed, it is time to do something. :W

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had my fridge not work because my trailer was not level, just saying. I think the level issue is grossly exaggerated. There have been many times I got it only eyeball level and I know it was off.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh the tank, run for 2 days, weigh the tank again.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Absorption fridges are completely dependent on gravity to function, and the rate of the fluids flow is determined by the size and angle of the tubes decentโ€ฆ optimum performance happens when the fridge is level, and there is only one levelโ€ฆ operating out of level slows the cycling of the fluidโ€ฆ slowing the cycle allows the fluid in the boiler to become hotter because the heat source is constant and consistentโ€ฆ
The fluid consist of ammonia, water and rust inhibitorsโ€ฆ when the solution is over heated because of slower cycling fluids the rust inhibitors chemically break down and crystallizeโ€ฆ this condition is cumulative and permanentโ€ฆ when crystallization becomes to high it can plug the tubes and stop the solution from flowing and/or it renders the rust inhibitor less and less effective and it shortens the useful life of the fridgeโ€ฆ this can happen on either heat sourceโ€ฆ

Newer units are built the same way the older ones are but they are more tolerant to out of level conditionsโ€ฆ more tolerant wouldnโ€™t mean the risk is eliminated and non-existent it only means the damage caused is slowedโ€ฆ that was done by isolating the siphon pump tube from the heat source by placing it inside the boilerโ€ฆ

Mfgโ€™s say it can be operated with the RV comfortably levelโ€ฆ that will in all likelihood get it beyond the warranty periodโ€ฆ but in their warranty listed as non-covered is,

โ€œWARRANTY DOES NOT COVERโ€

โ€œNon operation of the refrigerator/freezer or resultant damage to the unit where the refrigerator/ freezer has been operated in an out of level situation. โ€œ

there is no way to measure the damage caused by out of level operation or how quickly that damage will adversely effect its operation until it finally failsโ€ฆ As expensive as they are, I choose not to risk causing any damage that is avoidable by something I have control over like levelingโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should not be run off level on either propane or elec.. Off level the gas turns back to a liquid in the bends of the coils and causes a blockage.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm..., That's interesting. I have 2 30# tanks and go from mid-April until August on 1 30# tank. That's about 45 to 50 days/nights with around 15 of those with Frig on propane and includes a few runs of the furnance during the April time frame.

A 4 day horse show with temperatures in the 40's at night will burn a full tank of propane.

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
A couple of things you should never run the fridge when your parked significantly unlevel Say more than a bubble out. And, the refer uses 12V also so you'll need your battery on and charged during operation.

Is that on electric or doesn't matter, both propane and electric?

Yes, it does draw on the battery as well. I monitored the batteries, in that two weeks, it took them down to about 1/3 W/O ever charging.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I know this may be a little off topic, but, what size tanks are you talking about?

Good question, 7 1/2 gallon tanks.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things you should never run the fridge when your parked significantly unlevel Say more than a bubble out. And, the refer uses 12V also so you'll need your battery on and charged during operation.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may be a little off topic, but, what size tanks are you talking about?