cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting places along the route (& a question)

fill
Explorer
Explorer
When I stop to change fluids (me and / or bike) I like to talk to people. Always we begin with the bike / destination, and what they rode when they were kids. Then I ask a question or two and then listen. And most people are proud of the places they have picked to live and will tell about it. Iโ€™ve found some very interesting stops that way.
One of the nicest surprises Iโ€™ve found along the way is Osoyoos, British Columbia.
Just above the Washington border on TransCanada 3. Thereโ€™s a huge (It fills the top floor of a warehouse) Model Train Museum. You can spend several hours there, and enjoy every minute.
Since I wanted to return the next day I decided to stay the night. There are several motels in town but with the Roll A Home in tow I found a campground. A local tribe is establishing a very nice resort which will include a campground right on the beach of Lake Osoyoos. I slept very well.
Since weโ€™re talking (sort of) hereโ€™s a question. I have been told of a unique museum west of Chicago (I believe). Itโ€™s in a small town with multiple buildings in an unplanned pattern. The museums focus is on odd things from the 1950 and 60โ€™s. Somewhere I read that there is a merry go round and mirrors in the initial entry and after that a long hall that leads to other sequential buildings.
If I remember correctly it was imagined by a ner-do-well with too much money.
Does any of this sound familiar?

With the miles youโ€™ve driven Iโ€™m sure you can add your own story, and maybe place the museum.

Fill
โ€™94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
Pulling an โ€™80 Eagle 1 Trailer or โ€™12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
(And now new member of the INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF MOTORCYCLE CAMPERS)
4 REPLIES 4

fill
Explorer
Explorer
ESVA Travelers wrote:
Fill - I think the place west of Chicago you're looking for might be House on the Rock. It's in SW Wisconsin, maybe near a town called Spring Green. I haven't been there yet, read about it and may get there someday. .

Hi,
Thank You for putting me on the right track. Itโ€™s just outside of Dodgeville, Wisconsin. Iโ€™ll plan a stop there next summer on my โ€œIsland Hopping Tourโ€ (Vancouver to Prince Edward)

Subaru. โ€™94 GoldWing 1500
2012 Roll-A-Home, Eagle 1 trailer
GWRRA, Thousand Trails, IBMC
(Weโ€™ve downsized)

ESVA_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Fill - I think the place west of Chicago you're looking for might be House on the Rock. It's in SW Wisconsin, maybe near a town called Spring Green. I haven't been there yet, read about it and may get there someday. .
Eastern Shore of VA Travelers
2005 F250, 2011 Cedar Creek 34SB 5th Wheel

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
I learned about the Virginia Creeper bike trail in VA on this site. We visited in June. We really enjoyed it and will return someday. I also learned about Turkey Run SP in IN. We are heading there next month.

We head to Carlyle Lake in IL quite often. Beautiful Lake. If you are traveling through IL it is about 30 minutes from I-64 or I-70
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I told a neighbor about Lake of the Ozarks last weekend while having that kind of chat. Within 30 minutes he came back out and said he was leaving the next day and had made reservations there, saying that was one place he had never visited.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad