cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it safe to use WD hitch when raining?

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed since my tow vehicle is rear wheel drive, the rear wheels would 'wiggle' more when raining. So when raining, is it advisable not to use WD hitch so the tongue weight of travel trailer would push more on the tow vehicle's rear wheels and be more stable?

My TT is 7,200 lbs, almost the same weight as my tow vehicle 7,400 lbs (2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman crewcab longbed with Cummins turbo diesel), they're almost the same weight that's why i use WD hitch all the time. It's just when raining and slippery that it wiggles more and seems less stable.
19 REPLIES 19

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Weather makes no difference on when to use or not use a WD hitch.

USE IT all the time.
Bob

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I don't know what type of Sway control you are using. however. Sway bar manufacturers suggest you loosen, or remove it in the rain, or other slick condition. They can cause the TV to go straight in a turn.
From the Reese sway control bar instructions

4. When towing during slippery conditions such as wet, icy, or snow-covered roads or on loose gravel, turn on/off handle (5)
counterclockwise until all tension is removed from unit. Failure to do so could prevent tow vehicle and trailer from turning properly.

I wonder if that could be adding to the "wiggle" feel?

That is the benefit of having the simple friction type sway control. Other type hitches have a constant force trying to keep the trailer and truck in a straight line, no matter if there is traction or not.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
thehippie wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Sounds like you have too much weight taken off the rear axle. maybe try taking off a link or 2!
I'm using the last link.

Then you're definitely not even close to being correctly adjusted.

Take an afternoon, get your wrenches, get the rig out on a level surface, and set it up properly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Sounds like you have too much weight taken off the rear axle. maybe try taking off a link or 2!
I'm using the last link.

Like recommended drop the hitch head back all the way. Maybe even drop it a notch.

You don't need much compression with a HD truck. They will fight you if you put on to much.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
thehippie wrote:
I noticed since my tow vehicle is rear wheel drive, the rear wheels would 'wiggle' more when raining. So when raining, is it advisable not to use WD hitch so the tongue weight of travel trailer would push more on the tow vehicle's rear wheels and be more stable?
This photo from your post in a different thread shows the hitch head is adjusted for maximum rearward tilt.
Depending on the number of chain links under tension, you might be removing too much load from the rear axle. If so, you should reduce the amount of load transfer.
But, as others have said, you should not eliminate load transfer completely.

A trip to the scales will tell you how much load is being transferred. You'll need to make three weighings:
1) TV front and rear axle loads with TT unhitched and WDH in the TV's receiver,
2) TV front and rear and TT axle loads with TT hitched but no WD applied,
3) TV front and rear and TT axle loads with TT hitched and with WD applied.
Passenger and cargo loading of the TV and TT should be the same for all three weighings.

Post the scales numbers and we can assist with interpretation.

Since you are using a friction bar sway control, you might need to apply slightly more steering input in low-traction conditions.
But, I would not expect the friction bar to cause the rear-end "wiggle".

Ron

thanks, i'll try to schedule a trip to the scales.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I'm using the last link.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I had almost the same exact combo as you. I have a 12 Ram 2500 CTD CC LB and used to tow a 72-7300lb loaded TT. MY tongue weight was 900-950lbs. After hitching up and without the spring bars snapped up the front of the 2500 only raised up 1/4-1/2". The Cummins up front weighs a ton and it takes a good amount of counter weight to raise the front. I hardly put much tension on the 1000lb spring bars. Towed in all kinds of conditions except snow and never had truck wiggle problem.
My suggestion is to reduce the head tilt and put less pressure on the spring bars.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:
This photo from your post in a different thread shows the hitch head is adjusted for maximum rearward tilt.
Depending on the number of chain links under tension, you might be removing too much load from the rear axle. If so, you should reduce the amount of load transfer.
But, as others have said, you should not eliminate load transfer completely.

A trip to the scales will tell you how much load is being transferred. You'll need to make three weighings:
1) TV front and rear axle loads with TT unhitched and WDH in the TV's receiver,
2) TV front and rear and TT axle loads with TT hitched but no WD applied,
3) TV front and rear and TT axle loads with TT hitched and with WD applied.
Passenger and cargo loading of the TV and TT should be the same for all three weighings.

Post the scales numbers and we can assist with interpretation.

Since you are using a friction bar sway control, you might need to apply slightly more steering input in low-traction conditions.
But, I would not expect the friction bar to cause the rear-end "wiggle".

Ron

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You never want to not use a WD hitch when required! Please indicate to us what WD hitch and sway control devices you are using so an intelligent response and good advice may be offered instead of WAG's.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The answer is ABSOLUTELY NO. Do not remove your WD hitch when towing in the rain. Not only are you creating a dangerous condition by making the front end too light, your receiver may not be rated to handle the trailer without the WD hitch. Typical receivers are rated for only 500lbs, sometimes 750lbs, without a WD hitch, and your trailer likely has over 1000lbs tongue weight.

Don't just go changing links willy-nilly. One chain link will have a dramatic effect on the amount of weight transferred.

If you're going to change the WD setup, do it right.

I suspect that the WD hitch is transferring too much weight off the rear wheels of the truck, like others have said..

Did you let the RV dealer set it up for you? If so, it's almost certainly completely wrong. You need to set it up yourself with the trailer loaded and ready to camp. All the RV dealer did was slap it on there as quick as they could.

There's a very detailed sticky thread at the top of this forum that details how to set up a WD hitch. Check your owner's manual to see what they recommend for setting up a WD hitch.

When you try to push the front end down too far with the WD hitch, you are just lifting the rear wheels of the truck. This may be why you are seeing "wiggle" in the rain.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Scale the rig.

I just did mine..
weight distribution hitch..
front wheels .. with trailer the truck front end has 100 pounds less than without trailer

F 250 and a 8,500 pound trailer.... trailer paperwork states 7,500 pounds.
paperwork is Way OFF...
trailer was Empty... except for cloths for 3 days and for 2 people.

as others have stated.... remove or release friction sway control

I went to a CAT scale station at a Pilot J... 10 dollars.
was on my way Home from a weekend camping trip.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Also maybe too MUCH compression on the WDH. Check the weights and maybe back it off. With my 7000lb trailer and the F350 I have the WDH on the minimum number of links. The truck does not need much due to the much heavier axles of the bigger trucks. Maybe get yourself weighed and adjust the hitch.

You're not driving a 1500/150 series truck, you don't need a lot of compression on the hitch with a 2500/250 truck and 7000lb trailer.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what type of Sway control you are using. however. Sway bar manufacturers suggest you loosen, or remove it in the rain, or other slick condition. They can cause the TV to go straight in a turn.
From the Reese sway control bar instructions

4. When towing during slippery conditions such as wet, icy, or snow-covered roads or on loose gravel, turn on/off handle (5)
counterclockwise until all tension is removed from unit. Failure to do so could prevent tow vehicle and trailer from turning properly.

I wonder if that could be adding to the "wiggle" feel?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers